User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(learned) Mon 29-Jul-19 00:07:27
Print Post

Vodafone Gigacube

[link to this post]

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/gigacube/

Anyone on the 4G or 5G versions? How's it running?

Obviously it won't be a match for the Gigafast product but it'd be interesting to know how the 5G, especially, is performing. The only way for the speeds to go is down from now though some really good performance should be achievable while there are very few people with 5G-capable hardware.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Jul-19 23:39:25
Print Post

Re: Vodafone Gigacube

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

Just this evening I've contacted someone based in a very rural notpsot with ADSL at 2Mbps and no sign of anything faster soon. The property is about 2km away from a Vodafone 4G mast and has direct line of sight. I was waiting until Vodafone had an unlimited business data tariff, which they now have. I'll let you know if we go down this route. I don't expect to be able to report on 5G for a while.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User Pheasant
(learned) Thu 15-Aug-19 08:26:59
Print Post

Re: Vodafone Gigacube

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

Staying with some friends in central London who have just got a GigaCube.

With router positioned on the balcony, more or less I think line of site-ish to the nearest mast, only using the internal antennas. The Huawei H112-370 box showing best possible 5G service, the results came back like this.

Download: 351.67
Upload: 28.43
Ping: 17ms
Test to Coreix Ltd

That was the best download rate I managed. Pings were generally from 10ms to 17ms to most of the London based sites. As you can see its very asymmetric...far more than what I've experienced with 4G based services where upload and download are more or less identical (and sometimes upload is better than download).

I'm not sure if this asymmetry is inherent in the device or if there are future changes in the VF 5G network that will change this over time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to