User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Sep-19 10:14:57
Print Post

Re: Superfast 2 Vectoring

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Also there are a lot of twin cabinets now, and Vectoring doesn't work across multiple cabinets, and if it does it will no doubt need more modifications and expense.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Sep-19 12:33:27
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Also with lots of third party modems or even old Openreach ones without vectoring support there is a storm of pain to handle.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Sep-19 19:45:02
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Also there are a lot of twin cabinets now, and Vectoring doesn't work across multiple cabinets, and if it does it will no doubt need more modifications and expense.

Vectoring can be done across 2 large Huawei cabinets. Not sure if the smaller Huawei cabinets can do this.

Many of the twin DSLAM sites are a mix of ECI/Huawei so enabling Vectoring on the Huawei would be costly and inefficient.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrmarktigger
(regular) Sun 22-Sep-19 21:04:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think I know whats happened now with my 80/20 connection dropping to 62/20.

I did a lot of research before I switched from virgin cable to FTTC on a BT line.

Before and after I first switched to FTTC I would be and was connected to a cabinet only approx. 200m away.

Now when I investigate, I am connected to a cabinet an absolute minimum of 450m away, depending where the wires run. I have no proof, because I didn't save the information before from the first cabinet.

Could the extra 250m to 300m or what ever make this difference? It did happen overnight. Well not exactly overnight, within a day or two of me actually checking what the sync rate was maybe.

Edited by mrmarktigger (Sun 22-Sep-19 22:19:28)

Standard User dect
(committed) Sun 22-Sep-19 22:20:09
Print Post

[re: mrmarktigger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrmarktigger:
was connected to a cabinet only approx. 200m away.

Now when I investigate, I am connected to a cabinet an absolute minimum of 450m away
Are you saying you think your line has been moved from one cab to another? I think its very unlikely and not easy to do and why would they do it.
Standard User mrmarktigger
(regular) Sun 22-Sep-19 22:50:06
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Yes, I thought it was unlikely until I checked. However, it also explains a drop from a sync of 80/20 to 62/20 suddenly. Unless you have another idea?
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Sun 22-Sep-19 23:52:15
Print Post

Yes, I thought it was unlikely until I checked. However, it also explains a drop from a sync of 80/20 to 62/20 suddenly. Unless you have another idea?

Did you check using the BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER? The BT database records are not always totally reliable.

Edited by GonePostal (Sun 22-Sep-19 23:54:31)

Standard User dect
(committed) Mon 23-Sep-19 09:11:01
Print Post

Yes
Sadly in life some things are never explained. I could simply say crosstalk but I would be guessing.

Don't underestimate the amount of work required to do what you're saying so they would need a good reason to do it.

It would require a different bar pair in the exchange so it appears on a different E side in a different PCP, then they would have to moved your D side to that different PCP that's further away (this could mean digging up roads or installing additional telephone poles) and then connect your broadband to its DSLAM, this would be highly irregular.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Sep-19 10:30:17
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

Given an exchange and cabinet number and time to dig into history can find out if there was changes, though the 99.999% that I recall are moves that shorten line lengths.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dect
(committed) Mon 23-Sep-19 11:36:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Given an exchange and cabinet number and time to dig into history can find out if there was changes, though the 99.999% that I recall are moves that shorten line lengths.
If you can look back in history (lines being moved from one cab to another and it not being done as an infill move) then you need to be knighted laugh
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to