User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BLaZiNgSPEED
(member) Tue 31-Dec-19 23:16:48
Print Post

[link to this post]

Hello,

I was trying to sign up to the new Vodafone FTTC package via broadbandchoices with the £100 voucher gift card.

I have done several attempts on all 3 of our different accounts. My mum and dad both have Barclays and it fails the Credit Check history despite having excellent credit scores.

It is quite unusual to see such failure, this is the first time this has happened.

So after a few attempts we gave up. And then tried again this time with my mum's account. Again it showed credit check failure when trying to submit the order.

Finally for the benefit of the doubt I have tried to do this on my behalf and I have HSBC bank account.

This time in my situation instead of credit check error in checkout it will show as something along the Error failed to identify identity.

I spoke to Vodafone Live Support chat and they say this can only be done by a telephone call. But the problem with this is that the Broadband Choices /Compare The Market £100 voucher giveaway offer will not get through.

Has anyone else had this problem or at all had any success signing up using the normal online sign up procedure? My contract with Plusnet ADSL will end in January 22 and I was looking to sign up to Vodafone FTTC as this seems to be the most attractive offer from all ISP offers.

Is this failure occurring due to the £100 Gift? We are starting to think that this may be a trap to lure customers into signing up via telephone calling instead so people get denied the £100 offer.

I have found this experience an extremely frustrating one. We have tried yesterday and today and on all occasions we have had no success completing the order checkout.
Standard User mbames
(committed) Wed 01-Jan-20 16:33:02
Print Post

Re: Sign up error failed to identify identity /credit check!

[re: BLaZiNgSPEED] [link to this post]

Most likely the credit check gateway which VF uses isn't working properly (either in the VF or the providers side), and the VF sign is defaulting to a fail safe of "its not working, so better not allow the signup to proceed".

Granted that isn't very handy to those with good credit, but saves issues for those who might have financial issues.

Given we are in the "hole" between Christmas and New Year, give it a few days (more of the technical staff are probably back tomorrow) and if the issue is platform wide I am sure it will get their attention pretty quickly, as no new customers is never a good thing!!

Vodafone Fibre (Superfast2 - 80/20), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Jan-20 20:35:10
Print Post

IMHO Plusnet support is a bit better than Vodafone's. You could contact Plusnet retentions and ask if you could be treated as a new customer as by changing to FTTC you would be moving to a new service.

The Plusnet FTTC I have at the moment was marginally cheaper than what Vodafone would have charged had I stayed with them.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Wed 01-Jan-20 22:43:55
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Many thanks. I could perhaps try and do that. Their £70 cashback is for new customers only that's why I was hesitant to sign up.

I saw Vodafone at £23 a month with £100 voucher the equivalence of £17.44 a month if you factor in the £100 for the 18 months.

While Plusnet is £24.99 a month. 2 pounds more expensive than Vodafone.

I also just found out TalkTalk Uswitch exclusive are offering £21.95 for 18 months. Router also supports gigabit Ethernet ports.

Obviously if I can't redeem the £100 voucher through the normal sign up then I have no desire to sign up with Vodafone even via telephone calling. I also saw that the Vodafone price may be subject to change during contract something that's not the case with TalkTalk. But I still wasn't too concerned about it as long as the £100 voucher worked then maybe overall it may have been cheaper.

The new latest Vodafone Vox 3 router also attracted me. I thought this was going to be a straight forward signing process avoiding the hassle of trying to haggle Plusnet for a cheaper offer.
Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Thu 02-Jan-20 01:29:47
Print Post

Its worth bearing in mind when I had a Three credit check fail it then flagged me on their system, so further credit checks all failed by default without even bothering to do a REAL check (presumably as they pay the credit agency per check).

I had to call them so they could remove the flag on their system to allow the credit check to actually go through.

I wonder if you are now stuck in a similar situation?

Edited by alexatkin (Thu 02-Jan-20 01:31:54)

(member) Sat 04-Jan-20 05:54:07
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alexatkin:
Its worth bearing in mind when I had a Three credit check fail it then flagged me on their system, so further credit checks all failed by default without even bothering to do a REAL check (presumably as they pay the credit agency per check).

I had to call them so they could remove the flag on their system to allow the credit check to actually go through.

I wonder if you are now stuck in a similar situation?

Well my dad does have Three monthly contract. However, my mum is on 3 Pay as you Go. Credit check to fail on both is unlikely.

I am also on 3 PAYG. But in my case whatever I do, this is the error I get!

Weíre sorry, but we canít place your order at this time.

We were unable to verify your identity, but if you believe this is an error, please try to checkout again and amend your details.

This is just stupid. I think Vodafone are losing subscribers, no wonder they have only 667,000 subscribers.

It seems to be rocket science to try and subscribe to their package. This problem does not occur with any of our other providers. We had Sky previously that does credit checks when subscribing. I'm pretty certain this problem won't happen with them.

It is a unique problem with Vodafone. Either they or the system deliberately does not want you to get the £100 voucher!

Edit: after further attempt this is now what I get. Regrettably, your order was unsuccessful

Your order has not been placed and no payment has been taken because your credit check failed. Learn more about our credit check process.
More options...

It's absolutely impossible to fail even on my HSBC account. This time I tried with different email address and selecting PC World voucher as an experiment. It fails on that as well.

This is just criminal. Bet they have wasted the time of many users who tried and failed every time.

Edited by BLaZiNgSPEED (Sat 04-Jan-20 06:07:19)

Standard User gary333
(member) Sat 04-Jan-20 11:41:26
Print Post

Are you on the electoral role at that property? If not, that might be your issue (for yourself).

With the amount of times you have appeared to have tried to sign up your IP address could also have been possibly flagged as Ďsuspiciousí and this could also be leading to future failures.
(member) Sun 05-Jan-20 03:36:28
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Of-course I am! This property is a leaseholders that I've had since 1992.

And we are in the electoral as we even had polling cards to vote for the recent general election.

I spoke to live support they told me that the credit check will be uplifted in April the 3rd. And that I will have to call them to find out the reason.

But of-course it is of no use to me to be able to sign up in April as I will not stay with ADSL till then. My only option is to join a different ISP.

Not to mention Vodafone automatically created accounts in our names without successfully checking out. I told them to delete them and they should be deleted within 48-72 hours.

I think many people are having problems signing up, hence for the cheap package at £23. Over the years I've signed up to many ISPs but this is the first time we've had problems signing up.

Plus why is there even a need for credit check, it is not like I am requesting a loan! Everyone even with the worst of credit checks will be able to afford £23 a month. Vodafone are losing a ton of customers due to their problematic sign up procedure.

Something tells me that they do not want to give the £100 voucher so the link has been technically created to fail you every time. It is there as a self advertisement so that it attracts customers to sign up to Vodafone even without the voucher.
Standard User gary333
(member) Sun 05-Jan-20 07:57:06
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Talk about attitude problem. Like you say just go to another company, simple.
Standard User overrundunn
(newbie) Sun 05-Jan-20 08:38:16
Print Post

Is this based on any evidence or just conspiracy theories?

It is clear that Vodafone do not want your business.

With a free market you are free do business with anyone you choose (as long as both parties agree), and they can choose who they want to do business with. Their business, their terms.

In reply to a post by BLaZiNgSPEED:
I think many people are having problems signing up, hence for the cheap package at £23. Over the years I've signed up to many ISPs but this is the first time we've had problems signing up.

Plus why is there even a need for credit check, it is not like I am requesting a loan! Everyone even with the worst of credit checks will be able to afford £23 a month. Vodafone are losing a ton of customers due to their problematic sign up procedure.

Something tells me that they do not want to give the £100 voucher so the link has been technically created to fail you every time. It is there as a self advertisement so that it attracts customers to sign up to Vodafone even without the voucher.
Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Sun 05-Jan-20 13:29:42
Print Post

A different deal, but I ordered via Quidco on Boxing Day without issue.

Cashback tracked the same-day. Received the Router last Sunday via DPD, welcome letter arrived in this Tuesdays post and my service goes live Monday 13th Jan.

Edited by Davey_H (Sun 05-Jan-20 13:34:19)

(member) Fri 17-Jan-20 13:23:27
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

Credit check passed with TalkTalk.

Last night I signed up to TalkTalk on a 24 month contract for £21.95 for 67 Mb/s a month with free telephone line installation as I needed new VDSL Faceplate anyway.

This was performed via support chat.

Modleen: I will need to perform an external credit check under your name. Do you allow me to do so?

After giving my details...

Modleen: Credit check passed - We may contact you if we require any further information.

So as we can see here there is nothing wrong with my credit check. The problem is indeed with Vodafone. As I submitted the exact same details via chat that I did when I tried the same application via Vodafone. Vodafone could not tell me why I failed the credit check but simply told me that it was going to be uplifted in April 3rd.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Jan-20 21:02:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by BLaZiNgSPEED:
So as we can see here there is nothing wrong with my credit check. The problem is indeed with Vodafone. As I submitted the exact same details via chat that I did when I tried the same application via Vodafone. Vodafone could not tell me why I failed the credit check but simply told me that it was going to be uplifted in April 3rd.

Every company has different criteria for their checks and the results they get. What is fine for one, might not be for another.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Fri 17-Jan-20 22:52:03
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

For example, Transunion UK are one of the businesses that maintains credit score records for business to access. They have an agreement with a company called Credit Karma to allow personal checking of a credit score.

This is from the Credit Karma web-site (https://www.creditkarma.co.uk/f-a-q);

"Every credit reference agency (CRA) has a unique way of calculating and displaying your credit score, so thereís no way of directly comparing them. Thereís no industry standard or one size fits all and thatís why itís often recommended to use more than one CRA when checking your credit score to get a view on how each agency rates you.

"The score shown on Credit Karma, which is provided by the credit reference agency TransUnion UK, is out of 710 but some other credit reference agencies may score out of 999, for example.

"At Credit Karma we donít lower your score or change the information we receive from TransUnion UK in any way. Itís of the utmost importance to us to make sure weíre presenting the data we receive from TransUnion UK accurately. Plus, weíre regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the Information Commissionerís Office (ICO) who hold us to the highest standards."

No doubt the other agencies will carry similar disclaimers.
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Jan-20 23:51:41
Print Post

As said by matt

its different for many companies

years ago i tried to get a contract phone and got one with vodafone with no deposit but o2 wanted £250 so yeah really depends.

Vodafone FTTP - 500/500
VOXI - 4G

BSc (Hons) Cyber Security
(member) Tue 21-Jan-20 02:53:25
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

However different this may be, it is obviously affecting thousands of customers!

Guess what now? Broadband Genie/ Money Saving Expert are offering £120 voucher gift card.

This increase from £100 to £120 does smell fishy to me. It seems like many people are having difficulty signing up, but Vodafone are completely unaware that their credit check is failing thousands of customers. They want to attract the customers with these gift cards, but it's still not working to convince the customers signing up because their system is broken!

With offers like these they should've achieved a million subscribers by now. But surely 667,000 subscribers does not give them a very good reputation and the 85% negative feedback on trustpilot.

Overall Satisfaction is, worse than TalkTalk including reliability. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/compare?isp_22=1...
Standard User RB291
(regular) Wed 18-Mar-20 03:05:22
Print Post

I spent more than two hours trying to sign up with Vodafone today (via uswitch for a £100 voucher).

Got right to the end and was told the credit check failed. I called vodafone and in the process of trying to identify me I was told I already had an account having bought a phone from them 5 years ago (just phone no contract). The guy said having two accounts for the same name/address would cause a credit check failure - dumb and dumb that it doesn't tell you that is the problem.

He offered to sign up over the phone and I have to point out that would invalidate the £100 uswitch voucher. Then he says the offer is only new customers so I wouldn't get it anyway.

He gave me the old account number and I managed to request a password reset (because I had never set a password) and logged in and 'activated' the account 5 years after it was created.

I then went back and read the uswitch conditions which didn't say new customers in fact it offered a discount for existing mobile customers, but, I called uswitch anyway and wasted some more time to be told I need to confirm with vodafone. So I call vodafone again and this time another guy says it isn't just for new customers just not for broadband upgrading customers.

So I try signing up again using the old and now activated account and this time I couldn't get past the confirm billing address stage the continue button just not doing anything. I then spend about half an hour on online chat trying to checkout to eventually be told by a second CS rep that some server was undergoing maintenance and that I should clear all cookies and try again later. I had to ask how much later and was told 24 or 48 hours. I don't yet know if the failed credit check was caused by trying to create another account with same name and address.

Having had a taste of what vodafone has to offer I don't know if I will bother trying again. What a shambles.
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Mar-20 10:28:02
Print Post

[re: RB291] [link to this post]

Sounds like a nightmare i ended up signing up instore as anything online seems impossible haha.

Standard User RB291
(regular) Wed 18-Mar-20 14:39:45
Print Post

[re: RB291] [link to this post]

Vodafone is such a shambles a £100 voucher for having to deal with them isn't worth the money.

I tried going through the process again. I logged into my account but the checkout page tells me to log in for quick checkout (and if I don't it is going to try to create another account which is probably why the credit check failed 1st time).

When I click on the log in link in the checkout page (despite already being logged in) it asks for user/pass and entering those it tells me it is going to send a 2FA code to my landline which is the only number associated with the account and the BT SMS assistant tries to pronounce the alphanumeric code as a word rendering it unintelligible 4/5ths of the time (utterly moronic sending alphanumeric 2FA codes as SMS to a landline). On top of that their web site just times out after a while saying try again without ever letting me try to enter the code. Online chat about the issue was useless as ever suggesting I log in using a different browser or incognito mode (I don't keep cookies the problem wasn't caused by any left over ones).

I give up. I don't want anything to do with vodafone ever again.

Edited by RB291 (Wed 18-Mar-20 14:41:09)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to