User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sun 15-Mar-20 22:39:42
Print Post

But when...?

[link to this post]

CityFibre announced my area, Doncaster, to be one of their Gigabit Cities in July 2019. No indication as to when work would start, let alone when service would be available.

Openreach also announced Doncaster and have been working on two local exchanges with one other listed, but not where I am. I take it that means they will not be an option in the next 2-3 years at least.

I'd like to go onto the Vodafone product as soon as it's available but there's nothing to tell me when it's likely to happen. I'll be signing a new contract with my existing ISP in June/July this year and that will be 18 months. They don't have a FTTP product so no point trying to order it through them even if Openreach had worked on my local area.

I anticipated the move to VOIP and possibly losing my old landline number so have had VOIP for some time and will continue that when moving forward. The current supplied landline does not have a phone plugged in, one way to stop spam calls...

I've tried to register my interest with CityFibre and Vodafone, both sent me messages to say they were NOT going to be supplying my area. I know they have existing fibre running to within half a mile of where I live. I'm in a very densely populated area and the only negative is that it's served by Virgin, and I don't want to touch them ever again.

Wouldn't it be nice if they had a list available...?

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Mon 16-Mar-20 13:35:55
Print Post

Re: But when...?

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

Yes, but they don't and have no plans to. They are very fluid and change depending on conditions on the ground during the deployment.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User gary333
(committed) Mon 16-Mar-20 21:08:24
Print Post

I thought CityFibre were only covering the houses around the Dome, Lakeside, and that area up near B&Q. So if you're not in that area you might be out of luck.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Tue 17-Mar-20 13:22:51
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
I thought CityFibre were only covering the houses around the Dome, Lakeside, and that area up near B&Q. So if you're not in that area you might be out of luck.

The announcement was 'Doncaster', they didn't specify what bits.
They already have fibre running in Balby (for business users)

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User gary333
(committed) Tue 17-Mar-20 19:00:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by TMCR:
In reply to a post by gary333:

The announcement was 'Doncaster', they didn't specify what bits.
They already have fibre running in Balby (for business users)

Unless I am getting my companies mixed up as there are loads of companies all saying they "are going to". Then City Fibre used to have a map of the areas they were going to cover. When you say Balby, the only bit (again if it's the same company) was Balby Carr Bank which joins up to B&Q & Amazon centres.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 26-Jun-20 16:09:12
Print Post

Bit of an update. CityFibre are currently working around the Hyde Park area and, according to their own website, Hexthorpe and Balby North are next.
I've seen CityFibre people on the street outside my home, looking up at potential anchor points and existing poles.

EE Fibre Plus
  Print Thread

Jump to