User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User poster99
(newbie) Sat 28-Mar-20 15:27:30
Print Post

Switch from Plusnet

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have been on Plusnet for years, generally happy with the service and speed.I'm not too far from the exchange, I generally get speedtest results 70-73mbs

My contract has expired and Vodafone are much cheaper for a similar plan.(Superfast 2) Just wondering if anyone has any issues, would I find speeds lower, is there any kind of throttling during peak time for example ?

Also, is their service still really really bad ? As long as connection is stable and decent speeds I am good, I can't really be without BB, don't want something to go wrong in the migration.

Edited by poster99 (Sat 28-Mar-20 18:42:41)

Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Mar-20 12:28:44
Print Post

Re: Switch from Plusnet

[re: poster99] [link to this post]

Their speeds "should" be the same as they're both the same product.

Can't comment on using their FTTC service.

Edited by epyon (Sun 29-Mar-20 12:28:57)

Standard User poster99
(newbie) Sun 29-Mar-20 15:32:20
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Both use the same Openreach product ?

Been reading 'horror' stories where customers can have 60mbs off peak and this can grind to 2 mbs peak or just intermittently. It seems very inconsistent on their FTTC , anyone have a similar experience ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mbames
(committed) Sun 29-Mar-20 17:35:08
Print Post

All depends on in if they have capacity issues on the network in your area. Best bet is to ask a neighbour who uses VF and see what they say. When I switched over a few years ago, they had issues, but once that was fixed that he service has been great.

Just taken a speedtest (Sunday afternoon 1734)

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15854996018...

Vodafone Fibre (Superfast2 - 80/20), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Mar-20 23:54:27
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

Whether or not you get a good service appears to be just luck. The service I had was fine. The OP should check that the T&Cs allow you to give notice of quitting in the first 30 days without being liable for the full contract.

Michael Chare
Standard User poster99
(newbie) Mon 30-Mar-20 13:28:32
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Are you feeling lucky, punk !?

I dont know anyone in the area who has Vodafone BB and worst case, you can leave within 30 days.

I use BB constantly for work, probably not worth the risk
Standard User mrc99
(learned) Mon 30-Mar-20 21:36:52
Print Post

Like you we've been on PN for years but recently chanced a jump to VF after finally deciding that PN's billing system was permanently broken.

Actually been pleasantly surprised by VF. The switch was fine and using the chat system to set up our own router and get a fixed IP have been painless. Performance has been good with no peaks or troughs. So far (touches wood) so good.
Standard User Natty
(newbie) Sun 16-Aug-20 20:08:03
Print Post

Ive been with Vodafone for a year on their Superfast 2 80/20 fibre product. Speeds are pretty reliable for me as they were on Origin Broadband & Plusnet before them. Im located 6 miles east of Manchester (M34) & 1700 metres from the MRDEN exchange & about 150 metres from the Huawei cabinet. Actual speeds are 68/16 whether using the supplied Vodafone router modem or a third party router.

Their phone support largely based in India is another matter but thankfully ive not had any major issues that needed to be fixed.

Edited by Natty (Sun 16-Aug-20 23:18:49)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Aug-20 02:59:39
Print Post

Had no issues on Vodafone, their new WiFi hub is equal WiFi range and signal as the BT Smarthub 2 (latest BT router) and Sky Hub 4.2 (latest Sky router).

I am consistently getting full speeds in London, North West. I use it to work from home, and we have 2 TVs doing 4K Netflix in the evenings, often on at once.

Currently got 15 devices online. My only bug bear with their latest router is you cannot change the routers WiFi channel, there was a workaround to do it via the Vodafone WiFi app, but their latest update removed it... So you are stuck with AUTO WiFi channel selection. On 2.4GHz I have an ongoing issue where channel 1 is very slow, their router keeps picking it.

My other half has PlusNet and since lockdown Netflix has been anywhere from 240p to 720p at best most evenings (back to full speeds around midnight). It is daily slowdowns... Speedtest on the TVs browser displays 37Mbps. Suggests a congestion issue / issues with their Netflix Open Connect appliances. Either way, it's a pain.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 17-Aug-20 03:00:19)

Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Mon 17-Aug-20 11:51:10
Print Post

Have you phoned PN retentions and asked them to match Vodafone? I had to wait for up to 15 mins but the CS rep was willing to match other ISP. In fact I think they expect it as the number was top right of the renewal invitation "if you have any questions".
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to