User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jim_AFCB
(regular) Sun 05-Apr-20 10:32:24
Print Post

New VF Gigabit connection - strange connection issues.

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

Not sure of the best place to post this, so going to post it here in the Vodafone forum and the Home Networking forum.

Went live yesterday with Vodafone Gigafast. Getting the router itself was a real saga, the one intended for me is sat at my work address with no means of retrieving it under the current circumstances. The router in use here was a spare one given to me by the installation team.

It's the THG3000

At first, everything I connected worked fine. However, during the afternoon one PC stopped being able to load web pages, then overnight, another PC carried out it's daily scheduled reboot, and after this reboot, FTP stopped working and no web pages would connect.

The setup here is:

Main laptop. W10
This is connected via Ethernet and all internet services still work fine. I have had no problems with this machine.

Upstairs PC. W10
This is also connected via Ethernet. Currently a couple of bits of software (one is Anydesk) still work but all web browsers time out. Very occasionally web pages will work briefly but not for long.

Upstairs Laptop. W8.1
This runs my weather station and uploads to my website via FTP. Worked fine on connect via Wifi yesterday, but stopped working after a scheduled reboot at 0300. Nothing I have tried will make the connection work at all now.

Iphone.
No access to Internet

Ipad
No access to Internet.

I have been into my VF account settings and there is no content control enabled.
I have tried putting Google and Cloudflare DNS settings on the affected devices, as well as enabling automatic DNS settings.

I have rebooted the router, and I have also tried a factory reset.

Nothing will make any device get Internet traffic other than that specified in Upstairs PC, and Main Laptop, even though all devices will connect to the router, tell me they are connected to the Internet, allow me to access the router settings, but won't pass any browser or FTP traffic.

My BT line is still active until I get it decommisioned, and all devices work fine when connected to that, so I do not believe it is a problem with the devices.

I am at a loss to know what to do next, and can't yet face yet another session on the phone to Customer Service having had several hours of that this week.

Can anyone please give any pointers as to what else I can look at?

Edited by Jim_AFCB (Sun 05-Apr-20 11:06:38)

Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Apr-20 10:36:00
Print Post

Re: New VF Gigabit connection - strange connection issues.

[re: Jim_AFCB] [link to this post]

I would say create a small pool of IPs in the local network settings then assign a fixed ip address to each device

http://i.epvpimg.com/iUjqdab.png

As a first attempt to try get things back on track

but i havn't had any problems with my THG3000 personally.

And yes the vodafone forums are pretty useless.

Edited by epyon (Sun 05-Apr-20 10:43:28)

Standard User Jim_AFCB
(regular) Sun 05-Apr-20 10:47:52
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Thanks..

Do I assign a fixed IP in the router to these devices, or on the devices themselves? I could give this a try, but as some internet connections are working on "upstairs PC", including one on port 8000, I'm not sure it's an IP address issue.....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jim_AFCB
(regular) Sun 05-Apr-20 11:07:53
Print Post

Ah, saw the screenshot you posted, and have done this. No difference at the moment.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Apr-20 11:11:16
Print Post

Check the basics via Ipconfig, make sure they are all on the same subnet, reboot the PC's etc.

Standard User Jim_AFCB
(regular) Sun 05-Apr-20 11:18:12
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

yep, done all that.,.... IPConfig looks good.

I've plugged the Upstairs PC back into the BT hub and all is good on the old BT connection, so it is not the PC, of that I am pretty certain.

Edited by Jim_AFCB (Sun 05-Apr-20 11:29:12)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Apr-20 12:50:57
Print Post

Find out the IP of the vodafone router, likely to be 192.168.1.1
Then on the computer that is working open a Command Prompt window and type:

tracert -d 192.168.1.1

do the same on the computer that is not working

Let us know what they both show.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 05-Apr-20 13:49:53
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

has the original poster tried a reset to factory defaults? Could be some odd DMZ configuration previously in the router.

Also ignore wireless totally for now, get things working on the two wired computers to ensure its not the vagueries of Wi-Fi

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Apr-20 14:29:26
Print Post

If that doesn't work try setting from the devices themselves

I mean its impossible to know what the problem is, it could be a dodgey router.

Standard User Jim_AFCB
(regular) Sun 05-Apr-20 14:41:55
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Ok, so it turned out to be in connectiion with the (previously untouched ) content filter settings.

I got in touch with the Gigafast support team and the lady on the other end and I went through the settings and as soon as I changed the content settings (on the Vodafone account portal) off and on again (set to the default soft "Safe" setting), the errant devices started working.

Doesn't explain why they worked, then didnt, but the main laptop machine was always still absolutely fine.

Anyway.. worth chronicling on here for the benefit of anyone else who has that problem in future.

Thanks everyone for your input, it's appreciated.

Mr Saffron.. I was going to delete the thread on the other sub-forum but I see you've already locked it. Thanks, and sorry for posting it twice.

Edited by Jim_AFCB (Sun 05-Apr-20 14:44:18)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to