User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 2Beers
(newbie) Wed 20-May-20 22:45:49
Print Post

upstream FEC Errors

[link to this post]

What could be causing all these amount of FEC upstream errors 1910290231 and it is increasing by the thousands every few seconds
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-May-20 23:41:22
Print Post

Re: upstream FEC Errors

[re: 2Beers] [link to this post]

FEC is errors that are actually being corrected, i.e. interleaving is doing its job (Forward Error Correction)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rowter
(regular) Thu 21-May-20 00:12:56
Print Post

If its a lot on the upstream get in the test socket new cable filter and do a download and see if they go up at the same rate, if it does check if the phone line is noisy with analogue phone if possible do a 17070 for a quiet line test. If the line is noisey then raise a fault on the voice line but dont tell them its causing errors on the broadband unless your pstn is with the same company.

With how the frequencies work upload is next to the ones used by the voice so it normally affects each other.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-May-20 06:01:54
Print Post

If it is only on the upstream, I’d suggest maybe an issue with the DSLAM, or broadband ties in the exchange (you don’t say which service you use, ADSL or VDSL.

I disagree with the advice given by another poster ... if you have a fault with your broadband, you report it to whoever supplies that. If you report it as a voice fault, that’s all that will be tested, the voice side. Raising as a DSL fault means the DSL gets tested too.

Standard User 2Beers
(newbie) Thu 21-May-20 15:52:15
Print Post

[re: rowter] [link to this post]

I am with Vodafone for landline and broadband using vodafones router which is plugged into the test socket as I was advised to do by vodafone support after I complained to them about slow speeds and that I thought that the DLM was capping my connection as when i reboot the router it will reconnect at the same speed up and down. It has reconnected since yesterdays post and here are the stats from the router.

DSL Status
This page shows the technical parameters of your DSL connection.
DSL Status
DSL Connection

active
DSL Mode
VDSL
G.993.5 (VDSL)
DSL status information
Line status
Show Time
Link type
Interleaved path
Bit rate
Downstream Upstream
Actual data rate 32400 (Kbps.) 10458 (Kbps.)
Operating data
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 6.3 dB 6 dB
Loop Attenuation 21.4 dB 24.9 dB
Error counter
Indicator name Downstream Upstream
FEC Corrections 103 1585132019
CRC Error 62 99
Statistics
Transmitted Frames Received Frames
Frame Counter 2376651 4676297
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-May-20 16:06:35
Print Post

[re: rowter] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rowter:
If its a lot on the upstream get in the test socket new cable filter and do a download and see if they go up at the same rate

Line errors (FEC, ES, CRC) have absolutely zero correlation to data being transferred (doing a download as you put it).
That's not how it works.

You will get the exact same numbers of FEC with zero activity on the line as you would downloading/uploading at full speed for hours.

With how the frequencies work upload is next to the ones used by the voice so it normally affects each other.

On ADSL the entire upstream band sits next to the voice tones but on VDSL2 it's only a very small proportion of the upstream (US0).

There's also a guard band between the frequency/tones used by voice and that of the upstream, to prevent interference.

Tone 1 # POTs.
Tones 2-5 # guard band, prevents cross talk between POTs and DSL.
Tones 6-31 # Upstream band 0 (US0) on ECI cabinets
Tones 7-32 # Upstream band 0 (US0) on Huawei cabinets

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_technology.htm#frequencies
  Print Thread

Jump to