User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User flilot
(regular) Thu 09-Jul-20 16:47:08
Print Post

Considering getting Vodafone Gigafast - some questions...

[link to this post]

I'm considering having a Vodafone Gigafast connection installed, and I'd like to get as much info as possible before committing, hopefully from those who have already been through the process.

1) In my area CityFibre *seem* to be sharing poles with BT (as they only installed ducting and cabling on the one side of the street with BT poles), so I'm assuming the engineer will run a new overhead fibre cable alongside our existing BT copper landline to the property?

Speaking of our existing landline, nothing will happen to this in any way, will it (as we want to keep it for now)? The reason I ask is, I did a dummy run through the ordering process without committing on their website, and it mentioned that we would get a new landline number (please see image here). I'm assuming this will be the completely separate Vodafone home phone service, and will not affect the BT landline at all (as we won't be switching our existing number to Vodafone) - we don't want Vodafone cancelling the BT landline in any way.

2) Our property recently (last summer) had new external wall insulation and rendering applied, I've spoken to the landlord and they are happy for a new line to be fitted, with any associated drilling of walls etc. I assume the engineer who fits the line will be au fait with properties with this type of external insulation/rendering and know what to correctly do in regard to clipping any external cable runs to rendering etc?

3) Does anybody have any images of their installation (ONT etc) so I can work out the best place for ours to be situated (I know it has to be near a power source).

Sorry for all the faff and questions, I just want to get things straight in my head before taking the plunge. Thanks!

Carl
(staff) Thu 09-Jul-20 17:34:12
Print Post

Re: Considering getting Vodafone Gigafast - some questions..

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

1. Unless you tell Vodafone to port an existing number they will not touch the existing number and its copper line.

2. No idea, take a walk and see what they've done on similar homes in the area is best suggestion. Standards vary widely i.e. a lot is down to who you get on the day

3. https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/12/1gbps-... has image of the ONT

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AyeUp
(learned) Wed 15-Jul-20 19:29:34
Print Post

Who is your current provider?

If you are on VF superfast packages then you won't be able to port your number over to Gigafast, there is a fly in the ointment somewhere that prevents this from happening...migration to VOIP from traditional copper can be a bit flaky depending on the provider.

Regards

JM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flilot
(regular) Thu 16-Jul-20 02:49:54
Print Post

[re: AyeUp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AyeUp:

For landline phone? BT.

Carl
(learned) Sat 18-Jul-20 10:27:02
Print Post

That should be ok to migrate across to Gigafast.

Regards

JM
Standard User ianleeuk
(newbie) Sun 19-Jul-20 00:21:33
Print Post

I upgraded from a Vodafone Superfast broadband service to its Gigafast FTTP service in November 2019. The upgrade was basically a non-event. The installation of the fibre from the road to my house was undertaken with great care by the installers. About 100m of my garden was dug up and relaid. Six months later there is no sign of where the cable was laid. My house is an old B-listed building. Both externally and internally the cable has been carefully hidden.

The service transferred without a hitch. Actually I had broadband available both the original service and the fibre service for a couple of days and was able to decide when to switch over my equipment.

Vodafone transferred my original telephone number to the Gigafast VOIP service without any problem. (It was important to specify this when requesting the upgrade I gather). The only difference being there is no answering service available with Gigafast!

I am extremely happy with the Gigafast service. There have been NO breaks in service since upgrading. It has not been necessary to reboot the router. The download speed appears to very consistently about 420Mbps. Very occasionally I have noticed it has dropped to 380Mbps. I have not been able to source a 3rd party router which will support the VOIP service but the Gigafast supplied router seems to be more than able to support my load - 2 x MacBook Pro, 1 PC, 2 iPads and 2 x iPhones together with 2 networked printers, house security and heating systems. (I had to install a Netgear Nighthawk router to get adequate performance with the previous service)

All in all I am extremely happy with the Gigafast service and all at a lower cost than VF Superfast!
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-Jul-20 05:05:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by AyeUp:

If you are on VF superfast packages then you won't be able to port your number over to Gigafast, there is a fly in the ointment somewhere that prevents this from happening...migration to VOIP from traditional copper can be a bit flaky depending on the provider.

Seems this can be done according to the previous post. Perhaps they overcame the issues.
  Print Thread

Jump to