User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User EAEA
(newbie) Thu 05-Nov-20 11:56:19
Print Post

VF in Bristol

[link to this post]

Any recent success moving to VF gigafast in Bristol?

I had an order accepted a couple of weeks ago, but it’s just been cancelled.
A slightly confusing phone call revealed it has been cancelled due to ‘number porting on a Friday’. Further discussion at the VF end and they then said fttp isn’t supported in Bristol. Which seems pretty odd given the press releases.

(Current broadband is vdsl2 from plusnet)

Thoughts welcome!
Standard User flilot
(member) Fri 06-Nov-20 17:58:37
Print Post

Re: VF in Bristol

[re: EAEA] [link to this post]

A bit more info needed I suspect.

What happens when you put your postcode in their checker and select your address? It may be that press releases have jumped the gun and some areas may be cabled but not "live" yet? Have you had any physical literature through your mail advising GigaFast was available in your area to order?

Regarding porting - are you porting your existing number to VF - or have you just ordered the broadband (which comes with a phone service too but you don't have to use it)?

Carl
(newbie) Sat 07-Nov-20 08:49:48
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

Yep, postcode checker says it’s ok.
As did a query via their chat.
In contrast to somebody on the phone at their call centre who spoke to a colleague who said ‘no it’s not’.
So conflicting info from VF; it does seem odd that their postcode checker would be wrong.
And I can see openreach fibre on a telegraph pole (and BT’s website postcode checker is also positive)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User amiga_dude
(newbie) Sat 07-Nov-20 18:01:33
Print Post

Do check at Cityfibre post code checker.

https://www.cityfibre.com/residential/
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Nov-20 20:09:37
Print Post

[re: amiga_dude] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by amiga_dude:
Do check at Cityfibre post code checker.

https://www.cityfibre.com/residential/

Vodafone's Gigafast offering in Bristol is over Openreach FTTP, not Cityfibre.
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8814-vodafone-la...

Cityfibre currently only has dark fibre and business ethernet in Bristol:
https://www.cityfibre.com/network/
Standard User EAEA
(newbie) Mon 09-Nov-20 20:41:57
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Yep,
I’ve a hit on the VF (and BT/openreach) checkers but not cityfibre.

And it’s been suggested that they’ve a backlog so are doing this messing around to keep their waiting list down. Which seems a bit odd, but maybe.

So any recent success stories would be very welcome!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Nov-20 09:43:32
Print Post

Vodafone in Bristol is nothing to do with CityFIbre hence why nothing on the CityFibre checker

Vodafone Gigafast uses Openreach FTTP in a small number of locations

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kevrl
(newbie) Wed 11-Nov-20 22:27:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Also in Bristol and thinking about switching from plusnet to vodafone fttp.

Only thing putting me off at the mo is the bad reviews quoting really low speeds after a few days/weeks.
This might be a problem with city fibre and openreach fttp may be fine.

When you get your line installed I'd be interested in the service you get.

Edited by kevrl (Wed 11-Nov-20 22:28:52)

Standard User EAEA
(newbie) Fri 20-Nov-20 23:37:23
Print Post

[re: kevrl] [link to this post]

So I phoned up again and they took the order.
I have an installation date in early Dec - it’s now a week since this second order and the status page still shows that the router hasn’t been dispatched.

Will have to chase them again soon I fear.
Standard User kevrl
(newbie) Sat 21-Nov-20 00:09:02
Print Post

Hmmm.... that doesn't sound good.

My PN contract runs out in early Jan, and I'd don't want to renew it..... Also don't want to get stuck trying to get VF installed.

Think I'll give Sky a call tomorrow and see if I can beat their price down a bit. They also do a speed guarantee, which VF doesn't seem to do looking at their site. At least I can get out of the contract early if Sky's service turns out to be rubbish.
Standard User mbames
(committed) Sat 21-Nov-20 15:37:05
Print Post

They tend not to send the routers out too early, incase the customer cancels and then there is the issue of returning the router (or you'd most likely get charged for it if it wasn't returned).

Vodafone Fibre (Superfast2 - 80/20), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Nov-20 11:52:49
Print Post

My last 3 ISP's have all (deliberately) timed my router arrival for the day before service was activated.
That was BT, Plusnet and Virgin.

I'd be very surprised if they dispatched the router 2 weeks before your activation date in December
Standard User EAEA
(newbie) Sun 22-Nov-20 18:52:19
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

That’s useful to know. Installation is due Monday week, so hopefully I’ll see something soon the .
Standard User flilot
(member) Tue 24-Nov-20 15:07:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by EAEA:
I have an installation date in early Dec - it’s now a week since this second order and the status page still shows that the router hasn’t been dispatched.

My Gigafast router arrived the week of my install, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Carl
(newbie) Wed 25-Nov-20 22:02:11
Print Post

Hello,

I had mine installed today. The lead-up was a nightmare with two (!) cancelled orders due to 'a problem with the system', lots of on-hold waiting and an army of ill-informed sales staff. Still, I thought I'd risk it, what with the 2 week cooling-off period and the fact that I wouldn't cancel my VM first, so I wouldn't be without.

My router turned up last Friday. The installation was smooth with a great engineer (Art) who was thoughtful and courteous and did a great job. The service came up immediately and I'm getting over the advertised peak DL speed and the upload isn't far short (939-918/79-94). The latency is lower than VM (~8 vs ~18) and the quality monitor on ThinkBB show a much more stable connection (so far: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
). I'm going to be watching it closely over the new couple of weeks.

The only problem so far is that I can't get my router (ASUS RT-AX88U) to sign in to the service. Getting the broadband login was a simple case of calling their support (including a 20 minute hold and disconnection :/, quality awful, they're all working from home with poor headsets I reckon but they did call back), but I'm getting a CHAP auth failure. Something to look into in the coming days. Currently running it behind the Voda router (which isn't too bad to fair) with a double NAT (no modem mode), but I still have better latency than VM.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to