User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Corbula
(member) Wed 24-Feb-21 18:36:27
Print Post

Can you use your own router with Gigafast

[link to this post]

I'm debating if I should sign up to gigafast but can you use a third party router? It seems from searching its a bit like pulling teeth as they don't openly give you your login details, just like sky. If you can't I might stick with trying Zen instead.

Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Feb-21 20:29:54
Print Post

Re: Can you use your own router with Gigafast

[re: Corbula] [link to this post]

Quite straight forward with an ASUS router with merlin

Pppoe — request login details via online on chat Vodafone site
Connects to ONT using wan Port on router

Need setup VLAN ID in lan settings

KRO BCFC smile

Edited by Stanman_24 (Wed 24-Feb-21 20:31:17)

Standard User Rolandrat
(experienced) Wed 24-Feb-21 20:44:49
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

Takes about 15 mins on a chat session, most of the time just waiting for replies.
No issues obtaining it, dont have to beg or give excuses just say you want to use your own router.
You will need a router able to set a vlan on the WAN connection, it appears to be 911 in most places it seems.

Edited by Rolandrat (Wed 24-Feb-21 20:45:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Feb-21 20:52:49
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

Big question is it a good idea to sign up to gigafast

I been hearing mixed reviews

Bad contention in evenings

Good support for gigafast customers

Using own router gives a much more stable and well performing connection

KRO BCFC smile
Standard User Rolandrat
(experienced) Wed 24-Feb-21 21:04:03
Print Post

You know what, I see that on their forums but with most things people dont usually post on forums to say how great things are, there isnt usually a section for 'Great connection, no complaints at all' thread.
Our local area has a facebook group, on there there was this person who was having a right meltdown whinging and moaning that he was paying for 900Mbps and wasnt getting that etc, having a right moaning session onto Vodafone - cut a long story short, it was their laptop or whatever that wasnt up to the task of the speedtests, nothing to do with the connection or the provided router.
I get 940Mbps up and down all day every day without fail, I have my own router and 10Gbe LAN and powerful PC's.
If you are 99% wireless, dont waste your time going any higher than 500Mbps as you wont get 900 on wifi.

Edited by Rolandrat (Wed 24-Feb-21 21:04:51)

Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Feb-21 21:27:40
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

Patch the house with cat5e / cat 6 / fibre and shove a switch in your loft smile

I read that thread about some guy complaining about his fttp connection to find his sky q boxes were constantly downloading content

KRO BCFC smile
Standard User Corbula
(member) Wed 24-Feb-21 22:16:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Stanman_24:
Big question is it a good idea to sign up to gigafast

I been hearing mixed reviews

Bad contention in evenings

Good support for gigafast customers

Using own router gives a much more stable and well performing connection

Yea the more I'm reading about it maybe it's not the best idea. I do have an Asus router but I'm not sure about them if I need customer support or something

Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Mar-21 11:57:27
Print Post

Late reply but, yeah i've been with gigafast almost 16 months and it has been good

no congestion issues or speed drops that i've noticed.

Standard User Rapidbadger
(newbie) Thu 11-Mar-21 18:39:57
Print Post

Hello,
I've tried my hand in the vodafone forums, but no luck yet. I've just got an Asus ax88u and am trying to connect to gigafast. Seen lots of threads about the place with settings in. Seemed pretty straight forward. set connection mode to PPPoE. Set username and password. go to IPTV section and set vlan to 911, priority 0. but I get no joy at all. The status page lists "disconnected". The vodafone forum suggested I should be using auto ip as my connection method. So I tried that. I got a different result. I first said my password\username was wrong. Then after enterting it again (same actual password mind you) it told be my isps DHCP was incorrect. I've not seen that method stated anywhere else - so I'm not sure if it's correct.

I got my user info via chat (twice) and cut an pasted that direct to the router. So I think that's correct. I've tried original, latest and merlin firmware. Made sure I reset in between each upgrade. I'm connecting my white openreach ONT direct to the wan port on the Asus.

I can post some log details if that's helpful?

Can anyone tell me what stupid thing I've done?

thanks
Standard User connormill
(member) Thu 11-Mar-21 21:53:05
Print Post

[re: Rapidbadger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rapidbadger:
Hello,
I've tried my hand in the vodafone forums, but no luck yet. I've just got an Asus ax88u and am trying to connect to gigafast. Seen lots of threads about the place with settings in. Seemed pretty straight forward. set connection mode to PPPoE. Set username and password. go to IPTV section and set vlan to 911, priority 0. but I get no joy at all. The status page lists "disconnected". The vodafone forum suggested I should be using auto ip as my connection method. So I tried that. I got a different result. I first said my password\username was wrong. Then after enterting it again (same actual password mind you) it told be my isps DHCP was incorrect. I've not seen that method stated anywhere else - so I'm not sure if it's correct.

I got my user info via chat (twice) and cut an pasted that direct to the router. So I think that's correct. I've tried original, latest and merlin firmware. Made sure I reset in between each upgrade. I'm connecting my white openreach ONT direct to the wan port on the Asus.

I can post some log details if that's helpful?

Can anyone tell me what stupid thing I've done?

thanks

VLAN911 May not be correct

I am using VLAN911 in Aberdeen but that's on CityFibre not Openreach. I've not seen anyone on the GigaFast packages on Openreach network yet so it may operate differently
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to