Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Jun-14 18:25:49
Print Post

Re: Transferring a BT phone number to voip.

[re: StuB] [link to this post]

I managed to transfer a number (originally Virgin Media, then Call sign on BT) to Sipgate and haven't looked back.

Will be losing the original BT number soon, but I don't see this affecting my Sipgate number.

Keef- Dartford Kent UK - Plusnet via D-Link DSL-G604T

Previously - Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream,
Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User Olly232
(member) Tue 05-Aug-14 10:02:10
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

I was making preparations to port a Call Sign BT number to VOIP and checking recent BT bills to see if there was a reference to my call sign number, when I discovered that they stopped charging me for it after I cancelled Caller Display in March. They had also cancelled charges for the calling feature.

I now have a dilemma. I cannot provide any evidence of owning an active call sign number to a VOIP provider let alone what the number is. Do I leave the number where it is and hope that BT will not realise their mistake? (the reduced cost makes that option more attractive!). I use the number for incoming business calls (only one or two a day) and would like the flexibility of having it with me when staying at my Dad's house.

I foresee that any attempt to port the number out could end up in a mess.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Aug-14 14:14:25
Print Post

[re: Olly232] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Olly232:
I foresee that any attempt to port the number out could end up in a mess.

I agree. In my experience any change requested of BT ends up confused and muddled. frown

If you have stumbled across a cheap(ish) solution that works I would stick with it until you are forced to change. wink

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - New Call Telecom Ltd via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - Plusnet Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream,
Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Olly232
(member) Fri 04-Dec-15 16:53:07
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

Just to update my situation, I recently ported the call sign number to Voipfone. I just had to provide hostorical evidence that the number was associated with my account, which was last shown on a bill in 2011. 7 days later it was ported over. The only down side is that I now have to pay Voipfone for the number instead of getting away with it for nothing with BT.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to