Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bumthunder
(newbie) Wed 19-Jun-19 11:27:21
Print Post

Porting BT landline to VOIP - 2 BT lines, only port 1

[link to this post]

Hi all,

We have 2 BT analogue landlines in our house, let's call them line 1 and line 2. The two lines are billed via separate accounts at BT. Line 1 has a broadband service from Sky that we no longer use and I'm happy for that service to terminate. Line 2 has a broadband service from Plusnet that I wish to keep. I'd like the phone number from line 1 to be ported to sipgate. I'm filling in the customer port details form for sipgate and have reached the box that asks:

How many lines are currently provided
(The total number of phone lines provided by your current service provider)

Now, I only wish for line 1 on account 1 to be ported to sipgate, further up the form there's a box for the account number from BT which I have filled in. Do I need to answer 1 (with respect to account 1) here or 2 (with respect to BT as the service provider to the house)?

Does it matter that there's another account with another line from BT? Will the lines be treated entirely separately by BT? I'd rather not have the port for line 1 kill line 2 and be left without any broadband at all.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Jun-19 13:58:03
Print Post

Re: Porting BT landline to VOIP - 2 BT lines, only port 1

[re: bumthunder] [link to this post]

Correct, you only mention Line 1 details on the form ie just the number you want ported over. Otherwise by mentioning Line 2, you risk putting a cease on Line 2 (incl broadband) which obviously you don't want.

Out of interest how much are Sipgate are charging you for the number port? My voip provider (yay.com) charged me £20 and the transfer took 3-4 working days. After the port was complete, my copper was ceased completely incl the broadband.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User bumthunder
(newbie) Wed 19-Jun-19 14:14:55
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Excellent, thanks. I thought I might have been overthinking it...

Sipgate are charging £30 for the port.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 19-Jun-19 14:49:14
Print Post

[re: bumthunder] [link to this post]

Hi

Please come back and let us know how well (or not perhaps) it goes as I'm going to be doing the same thing and porting a BT landline number to SipGate.

Currently using a Panasonic KX-TGP600 with a couple of numbers already with them and really pleased with how well it all works, including voice mail notifications and missed call indicators, so now confident enough to get rid of the landline and move the number over.

Regards

Phil
  Print Thread

Jump to