Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User The_Voyager
(experienced) Wed 07-Aug-19 08:35:02
Print Post

Recommendation for light user

[link to this post]

I am changing over to Community Fibre at the end of next week, so think it is time I got rid of my land line and changed to VOIP

What are people recommendations for a light user that makes the occaisional call to Belgium but neeed to keep their number for the various businesses that call me, have looked at Vonage and Yay so far.

Would prefer to keep my existing DECT setup rather than getting a softphone

Bob WRBRIX
PN Unl.Extra Fibre - TP-Link VR2600
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/049baa48c1f...

Edited by The_Voyager (Wed 07-Aug-19 08:37:40)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Aug-19 12:01:52
Print Post

Re: Recommendation for light user

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

I use Sipgate and Voipfone. You could use a Cisco SPA112 to connect to your existing DECT phones. I find a Gigaset N300 base with C430 phones works well enough and you can then easily route calls to mobiles via Discountvoip.

You can port your existing landline number to both the above.

Michael Chare
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Aug-19 12:28:50
Print Post

Been using Yay.com for the last few years and a very happy customer. I also tried Sipgate Basic but wasn't that impressed with their support - they're German based. I experienced some minor outages on Sipgate which I haven't so far on Yay.

I transferred my BT number over to yay without any issues. They charged £20 and it took 3-4 days for the transfer. Their phone support team is brilliant, they will talk you through over the phone for any hardware settings. They also do a very nifty native iOS & Android app which allows you to receive landline calls on your smartphone, as well as make calls, record calls & listen to any voice mails left on your VOIP service.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Wed 07-Aug-19 14:03:00
Print Post

I'm another happy yay.com user, I bought a number from them and use a Grandstream HT802 adapter to allow me to use my existing DECT phones, customer support is exceptional and very fast, within a minute of sending an email my phone rung offering me over the phone assistance from someone that I could understand and they could understand me lol
Standard User gary333
(member) Wed 07-Aug-19 14:07:05
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

There also appears to be something called a Grandstream HT802 that appears to be quite popular to link a standard phone.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 07-Aug-19 14:22:04
Print Post

I use Port5060 https://www.port5060.net/

Easy to port numbers across to them, good/cheap rates, monthly charges low, reactive support ...

I use a Gigaset DECT setup with them and they provide all the details needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(experienced) Wed 07-Aug-19 15:56:10
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, charges to Belgium look a bit high, especially when you compare with Yay, so think I'll give them a miss

Bob WRBRIX
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/049baa48c1f...
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 07-Aug-19 16:02:49
Print Post

You are right about the charges ... although for me, with France, Germany, Norway and USA they are much, much cheaper.

You realise you can have two or three VOIP services on some DECT systems and chose the most appropriate for calling out. So, you could have all incoming on Port5060 for example and outgoing on them or Yay - both can be set to present the same UK number on outgoing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(experienced) Wed 07-Aug-19 16:24:00
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, I have order the Gigaset hardware from Yay, and once that arrives will use their trial option to give it a go on my Plusnet Broadband first to see how it goes before committing to a monthly plan and porting my number over

Bob WRBRIX
(experienced) Wed 07-Aug-19 16:28:33
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for the further info, Belgium is my main overseas call, but I do have a friend in New Zealand as well, looking at various options the basic Yay package would probably suit me very well with 100 minutes free to UK numbers more than what I use, and using my mobile to compensate for anything not covered.

Bob WRBRIX
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to