Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Thu 27-Feb-20 15:44:48
Print Post

Porting Charges

[link to this post]

Porting Charges vary considerably across VoIP providers when moving a landline to their platform. Is this just a money making exercise for them or do the VoIP hosting companies have to pay fees to a third party?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Feb-20 16:16:06
Print Post

Re: Porting Charges

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Porting Charges vary considerably across VoIP providers when moving a landline to their platform. Is this just a money making exercise for them or do the VoIP hosting companies have to pay fees to a third party?
Any charges may well depend on the particular arrangements between the VOIP provider and who ever supplies the ported number. Where numbers are ported from BT, I suspect that the charges just cover the VOIP suppliers administration charges for providing the porting service. You can compare the 'porting to' charges of Voipfone and Sipgate Basic.

Michael Chare

Edited by Michael_Chare (Fri 28-Feb-20 16:20:25)

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Fri 28-Feb-20 18:01:22
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Any charges may well depend on the particular arrangements between the VOIP provider and who ever supplies the ported number. Where numbers are ported from BT, I suspect that the charges just cover the VOIP suppliers administration charges for providing the porting service. You can compare the 'porting to' charges of Voipfone and Sipgate Basic.

Some administration charge when the "fee" requested is a £100! When questioned, Voipfone said it was the fee they were charged and they were just passing it on. They would not say to whom the money was going to, What is the value of comparing charges when there is no transparency on where the money is going?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bah_Humbug
(newbie) Fri 28-Feb-20 18:50:35
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I paid Sipgate £30 to port my number from Plusnet. Worth every penny.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Feb-20 23:01:46
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Some administration charge when the "fee" requested is a £100! When questioned, Voipfone said it was the fee they were charged and they were just passing it on. They would not say to whom the money was going to, What is the value of comparing charges when there is no transparency on where the money is going?
So who are you porting from?

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to