Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Aug-20 19:49:46
Print Post

VoIP equivalent of BT's Call Protect 1572

[link to this post]

Since signing up for BT Call Protect 1572 service where I can blacklist any unwanted incoming numbers and also benefit from auto-blacklisting of numbers based on other users input, the number of unwanted spam calls has dropped dramatically.

Do users of VoIP benefit from BT's blacklist, or is a VoIP user reliant on their VoIP provider's screening, if any?

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 03-Aug-20 12:49:49
Print Post

Re: VoIP equivalent of BT's Call Protect 1572

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

I don't know the answer ... however VoIP nuisance calls are often called SPIT - SPam over Internet Teleophony

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User E300
(regular) Mon 03-Aug-20 13:13:38
Print Post

Since having a couple of VoIP numbers provided by Sipgate for many many years I've never once received an unsolicited call, I believe this is because whilst they are "landline" numbers, they fall outside the normal number range and so don't get rung by automated dialers. If porting your existing landline number over then I suspect the same number of unsolicited calls would continue.

With Sipgate they do have a blocklist so calls get blocked at their end, and you administer that via a webpage, I'm sure most VoIP providers have a similar thing.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Mon 03-Aug-20 17:31:42
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

I too have used a sipgate local number for many years, works very well through a sip client on my android phone. I do get the odd spam caller, but it doesn't seem any worse than a regular landline.

I have noticed that you can now get integrated dialler/sip clients on playstore that also include a spam call blocker, such as ACR Phone Dialler. I'm sure there are others, but that one seems to get decent reviews.

>>> BTFibre 2 FTTC
Standard User farrinaf
(newbie) Mon 03-Aug-20 19:30:05
Print Post

I’m a longtime user of this Truecall device which is excellent.

With an eye to the future (FTTP going live) I have been investigating whether it would work on VOIP. Much to my surprise having spoken to the manufacturer the answer is yes (needs a software update).

Whilst I am yet to test its VOIP functionality, if you are plagued by spam calls IMHO it could be a sound investment and worth investigating.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 04-Aug-20 10:58:04
Print Post

[re: farrinaf] [link to this post]

Care to explain how that will work on a VOIP connection?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Aug-20 20:02:45
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I presume that you would need a VOIP box with an FSX port, such as a Cisco SPA112.

Michael Chare
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Tue 04-Aug-20 23:25:42
Print Post

Possibly irrelevant but just fwiw. I bought a set of BT Dect phones about 7 years ago and they work on a whitelist. Non listed callers are required to state their name and business and then press the # key. This is all handled by the phone base set itself.

I used to get several unwanted calls every day but since installing these, I haven't had a single one.

I look at the calls received list occasionally and they're still ringing but they don't bother trying to get through. Whitelisted numbers just come straight through as normal.

Slight downside is that if the callers number is withheld, they have to go through the filtering process but I've found that genuine callers do so without any problems.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
... known to some as George
plusnet FTTC - BQM
Standard User farrinaf
(newbie) Wed 05-Aug-20 09:36:44
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Care to explain how that will work on a VOIP connection?
I'm not in a position to technically explain how this would work and as implied in my earlier response I have not validated the manufacturers VOIP functionality statement.

Just to provide some background to my current phone setup I am using a Gigaset N300A IP. Its connected to my PSTN house line and also has a VOIP line provisioned via AAISP.

In its current configuration the truecall device is configured as shown here

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/124.htm

ie Truecall Device to BT Master Socket (this is via a captive cable with a standard BT plug on the end)

From Truecall device (accepts a standard BT plug) to RJ11 socket on rear of Gigaset N300

The suggested solution involves the use of a standard BT socket to RJ11 adapter which suggests that the captive lead from the truecall device will need to be plugged directly into the RJ11 on the N300. Presumably the other connection from the Truecall device will become redundant.

It will be apparent from this that the truecall device can only protect one type of connection (PSTN/VOIP) at a time.

I have not tested VOIP protection but in response to your query I've ordered the suggested RJ11 Plug to UK BT Type Telephone Plug Socket Adapter connector to have a play. Will report back.

Edited by farrinaf (Wed 05-Aug-20 09:37:17)

Standard User ferretuk
(committed) Sat 08-Aug-20 18:18:33
Print Post

[re: farrinaf] [link to this post]

I strongly suspect that Truecall misunderstood the question...

The call blocker only works on an analogue line - Your N300A registers with the AASIP VOIP server and the call is passed straight to the DECT handset without conversion to an analogue 2 wire line.

As mentioned above, it *may* work if you use an ATA which has an FXS port and you plug that into the Truecall unit and use the output into the analogue line *in* of the N300A.

AAISP offer Anonymous Call Rejection, but not blacklisting. You could implement your own system if you run Asterisk/Freepbx/3CX etc as an intermediate PBX or you could move to another VOIP provider that offers the feature if it's really a deal breaker?

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | Ubiquiti USG | 2x Unifi AC-Lite & 1x AC-LR Wifi AP
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to