Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pheasant
(member) Sun 16-Aug-20 08:15:45
Print Post

Re: Porting landline onto VoIP and ceasing copper line

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Once I had paid for the porting with “new” VoIP provider, there were no further charges from the existing provider, just a final bill. Very easy.
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 16-Aug-20 19:58:56
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Thanks all

To address the questions:

1 Yes I have FTTP
2. It's a rolling monthly contract for a Wholesale Line Rental based service.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU =>> ZeN FTTP (76 Mbps down, 18 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 7530

Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Aug-20 15:05:42
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

I see from your sig that you are with A&A for both broadband and VoIP.

With A&A VoIP, do they charge for call set-up (like BT do unless you are on a plan) for each outgoing call, plus a charge for the duration; or is A&A's charge just based on the duration of the call?

Many thanks.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ferretuk
(committed) Sun 23-Aug-20 20:26:22
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

They don't have a call setup charge* but they do have a minimum charge of 2.4p per call.

Call charge info here: https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/prices/call-p...

Note that 'min' = minute and 'Min' = minimum!

*I'm not aware of any VOIP providers who charge a call setup fee and I've often wondered how BT get away with it. It's clearly desiigned to make sure you sign up for an inclusive call plan.

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | Ubiquiti USG | 2x Unifi AC-Lite & 1x AC-LR Wifi AP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Aug-20 20:38:19
Print Post

Thanks for that.

I'm looking to the future, near future I hope!

I see that you were with Sipgate for VoIP and reason for change to A&A for VoIP? Sipgate's UK landline/mobile package seems reasonable?

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User ferretuk
(committed) Sun 23-Aug-20 21:10:41
Print Post

I was with Sipgate some time ago and the reasons for moving are a little hazy - I seem to remember that they showed signs of closing the Sipgate Basic service and I didn't want to lose my number.

I also had a few numbers with voip.co.uk so I moved them all to A&A to ahve them all on the same platform.

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | Ubiquiti USG | 2x Unifi AC-Lite & 1x AC-LR Wifi AP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Aug-20 21:57:58
Print Post

Thanks for that. Makes good sense. The one thing that I do not want to do is to lose our number in any transition from BT phone to whoever.

I can at least see a path now from BT phone with A&A VDSL to eventually FTTP with VoIP and retaining our existing number.

Thanks again.

Cheers!

Clive

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Aug-20 23:51:14
Print Post

I ported my BT landline number to Voipfone just over 5 years ago. I don't think Sipgate allowed number porting at the time.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to