Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gdavid
(committed) Fri 21-Aug-20 20:27:31
Print Post

Wifi calling with Three Mobile

[link to this post]

Hope this is the right forum for this.

I bought a new phone from Three (Samsung A71) to replace the S10 my dog had chewed. I bought it specifically for wifi calling which was specified on their web site. The problem is that I cannot get the wifi calling to work. Every thing else is ok.

Samsung say the fault is with Three and cannot help.

Apart from turning the wifi calling feature on in settings, should I be doing anything else. I am using a Billion 8800NL router and ISP is UNO.

All my contact with Three has had me going in circles and achieving nothing.

Can anyone help with this please.

David

Regards

David
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Aug-20 06:38:47
Print Post

Re: Wifi calling with Three Mobile

[re: gdavid] [link to this post]

I have no specific experience with 3, but with both EE and BT mobile, and using Apple phones, you just do as you suggested, and enable wifi calling in settings.

Do you know someone on 3 who might pop round with their device and test your connection ?

Have you tried using a different wifi source and your phone ?

Standard User Highland76
(member) Sat 22-Aug-20 07:27:05
Print Post

The A71 isn't supported by Three for wifi calling. Both the handset and network operator have to support it:

http://www.three.co.uk/discover/Three_inTouch/androi...

Edit: But here it says the A71 can run wifi calling:

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL...

I would call Three to get clarification.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 Mbps -- Asus RT-AX89X

Edited by Highland76 (Sat 22-Aug-20 07:40:51)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cavvie1
(member) Sat 22-Aug-20 09:08:09
Print Post

I am on Three with a S20+ and partner has an s8 both wifi callings are enabled. Like you I have been on the phone to Three for hours as well as samsung. They went as far as remote accessing my phone to try help.
My mates Iphone6 on EE works in my house without issue.

No matter what we done it will not work in the house but wifi calling does work at my work without issue.

After further investigation it turns out I have to good a signal from three so wifi calling will not become active in my house where as at work three signal is very low to non exsisant and comes on.

Wifi calling will only work on Three with a poor signal from the mast.

There is 3rd party apps from the play store for wifi calling.. done this once before re-install of phone and it worked.. i used this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wi... un-installed it and still worked.

Cavvie1

Downstream Upstream
73998Kbps 20000Kbps

Edited by cavvie1 (Sat 22-Aug-20 09:36:10)

Standard User Highland76
(member) Sat 22-Aug-20 10:55:38
Print Post

[re: cavvie1] [link to this post]

Correct, on most networks Wi-Fi calling will only kick in if your cellular signal drops below a certain level. I wonder if the OP is already getting a decent signal from Three? In which case there’s nothing wrong.

But there’s an easy way to force your phone to use Wi-fi calling irrespective of mast signal. You simply put the phone into airplane mode but leave on the Wi-Fi. This 100% works on an iPhone but no idea about Android. Worth giving it a try.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 Mbps -- Asus RT-AX89X
Standard User gdavid
(committed) Sat 22-Aug-20 10:56:15
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks. That is something to explore

Regards

David
Standard User cavvie1
(member) Sat 22-Aug-20 10:59:07
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Yes that does work on android..
In my case there is no benefit to wifi calling as im on an unlimited package and the data from wifi calling comes out your packgae anyway.

I do use wifi calling at work though.

Cavvie1

Virgin M500 oomph
Standard User gdavid
(committed) Sat 22-Aug-20 11:01:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Highland76:
The A71 isn't supported by Three for wifi calling. Both the handset and network operator have to support it:

http://www.three.co.uk/discover/Three_inTouch/androi...

Edit: But here it says the A71 can run wifi calling:

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL...

I would call Three to get clarification.

I tried that and first they said it was not supported, then another said it was.

I thought it was working on my S10 but don't get the wifi calling icon although I can make calls. I think maybe the phone is better at capturing a weak signal.

Regards

David
Standard User gdavid
(committed) Sat 22-Aug-20 11:15:34
Print Post

[re: cavvie1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cavvie1:
I am on Three with a S20+ and partner has an s8 both wifi callings are enabled. Like you I have been on the phone to Three for hours as well as samsung. They went as far as remote accessing my phone to try help.
My mates Iphone6 on EE works in my house without issue.

No matter what we done it will not work in the house but wifi calling does work at my work without issue.

After further investigation it turns out I have to good a signal from three so wifi calling will not become active in my house where as at work three signal is very low to non exsisant and comes on.

Wifi calling will only work on Three with a poor signal from the mast.

There is 3rd party apps from the play store for wifi calling.. done this once before re-install of phone and it worked.. i used this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wi... un-installed it and still worked.

Thanks. Tried that app but does not work. I get a popup saying "Not registered on network"

Regards

David
Standard User gdavid
(committed) Sat 22-Aug-20 11:19:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Highland76:
Correct, on most networks Wi-Fi calling will only kick in if your cellular signal drops below a certain level. I wonder if the OP is already getting a decent signal from Three? In which case there’s nothing wrong.

But there’s an easy way to force your phone to use Wi-fi calling irrespective of mast signal. You simply put the phone into airplane mode but leave on the Wi-Fi. This 100% works on an iPhone but no idea about Android. Worth giving it a try.

This is what Three have been asking me to do but if I turn Flight mode on it turns wifi off, and if I turn wifi on and make a call I get a pop up telling me to turn Flight mode off.

Regards

David
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to