Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Mon 31-Aug-20 13:03:13
Print Post

Re: Selecting a VOIP provider

[re: DrBob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrBob:
Following Zen's recent price hike I am in a similar position. I am evaluating sipgate but feel their prices are too good to be true. Other contenders are port5060 and soho66. I have heard good reports of the latter from personal contacts whose opinion I value. For the moment I shall probably retain my landline and run one dect phone for outgoing cals. After bank holiday may also see if zen have a SIP offering (tech support don't know and sales not responding to email). I assume they have a domestic offering for FTTP cutomers.

Zen has VoIP for domestic users but is only for outgoing calls with the CLID being your landline number. May be OK for some but it is not the real deal. It costs £5.10 a month. I will be ditching this service soon.

Voipfone is OK and can be free if you are prepared to contemplate an 056 number; scale up to a regular 01/02 number and you have a monthly charge £3.60 (New price now in effect). Calls to 01/02 cost 1ppm (no longer charged by the second) but to UK mobile phones it is a staggering 9ppm.

There are call plans available but it would be unusual to actually save money using their offerings. On the plus side support is good and there are options available not found with other hosted providers. It is a steep learning curve to master their dashboard. Calls are free to other Voipfone customers.
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Mon 31-Aug-20 13:06:00
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I have had a Voipfone account for the past 5 years. Voipfone have good support. There is a monthly charge if you port a landline number to them. Calls don't suffer from the problem with Sipgate mentioned above. The cost of calls is similar to Sipgate.

Calls to their Help Desk are free by dialling 150 within their service.
Standard User mikejp
(committed) Mon 31-Aug-20 13:48:21
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

techguy
"I selected an MK number since that's where I am am, set up the FritzBox to act as a DECT base and began testing.

When I rang my mobile the number appeared correctly, however, if I rang the landline it came up as International and then the number.

I raised this with sipgate support who said they'd seen it on some occasions because the call was going via a BT partner network and as a German company they couldn't do anything so refeered me to BT to get it fixed (landline is on WLR)"

I also have a 'local' exchange number but do not have this issue - the number shows correctly. Is your account with Sipgate UK or Sipgate DE?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flilot
(regular) Mon 31-Aug-20 23:29:43
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
...but to UK mobile phones it is a staggering 9ppm.

Staggering compared to whom? BT charge 20p/min to mobiles if you're not on a calling plan.

Carl
(experienced) Tue 01-Sep-20 09:51:12
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flilot:
In reply to a post by trolleybus:
...but to UK mobile phones it is a staggering 9ppm.

Staggering compared to whom? BT charge 20p/min to mobiles if you're not on a calling plan.

The boundaries of my statement related to VoIP hosted services. We can all find silly prices for POTS from any number of suppliers where the subscriber is not on a call plan.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to