Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User james4567
(newbie) Mon 23-Nov-20 19:15:31
Print Post

Porting landline to VoIP and switching to BT - how?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice about the process of moving my landline number to voip (sipgate). I am out of contract with talktalk and plan on moving to BT FTTP, but don't want to have the landline tied to their digital voice service as then you can't use your own router.

My talktalk contract requires 30 days notice and I know when I ask sipgate to port the number theyll also cancel the broadband (which is fine because BT are coming to install a new line). My question is all about the timing of the process. If I order with BT and send of the porting request, do BT need to install the FTTP after the port has completed as I'm not sure if they'll remove the copper cable? Or can it be the same day etc?

Any guidance is very much appreciated.

Thank you
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 26-Nov-20 09:10:35
Print Post

Re: Porting landline to VoIP and switching to BT - how?

[re: james4567] [link to this post]

Good Morning james4567

Quick question do you intend to use the landline (PTSN) number going forward?

Why the move to BT FTTP?

I only ask as: 1 - I think you would have to set up a new number to use with BT's FTTP service (it is NOT sold without Voice) . 2: If you are wanting to port the landline number there maybe additional costs involved at both ends.

BTW I am not putting you off moving to SIPGate (as I use them) just wanted to get an idea of the reason.

EDIT: Have a look at this post here Fibre - TT FTTP which is discussing FTTP and number porting.

CJT.

On BT Broadband up to 80 Mbps...

But NOT for much longer!

Previously on NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps

Edited by CJT (Thu 26-Nov-20 09:25:03)

Standard User james4567
(newbie) Thu 26-Nov-20 11:50:28
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

Yes, for incoming calls and some outgoing calls. I'm out of contract so moving to BT for faster speeds and they are the only ones saying it is available. I know about the digital voice but I dont want to use their own router as it isnt very functional, so we just wont use their digital voice (which is expensive anyway).

I've been using sipgate anyway for a while so makes sense to move to them whilst switching to fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User danielhyde
(member) Thu 26-Nov-20 12:00:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by james4567:
Yes, for incoming calls and some outgoing calls. I'm out of contract so moving to BT for faster speeds and they are the only ones saying it is available. I know about the digital voice but I dont want to use their own router as it isnt very functional, so we just wont use their digital voice (which is expensive anyway).

I've been using sipgate anyway for a while so makes sense to move to them whilst switching to fibre.

Which other providers did you try?
Standard User james4567
(newbie) Thu 26-Nov-20 12:04:12
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

TalkTalk, Zen, EE and then all the usual Sky, Plusnet etc but they're not offering FTTP. BT have offered 150/30 for £32 a month. How come you ask?
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 26-Nov-20 13:50:34
Print Post

That's unusual.

Have you tried using the address?

I think the suggestion is other providers do Data Only FTTP so no need for a voice service you won't be using.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User brookheather
(member) Thu 26-Nov-20 13:51:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by CJT:
I only ask as: 1 - I think you would have to set up a new number to use with BT's FTTP service (it is NOT sold without Voice) .

But BT do now sell FTTP without voice service.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + UniFi nanoHD
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 26-Nov-20 13:57:27
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

Where?

I have just checked a known FTTP only address and it shows up only an option inc phone.

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Standard User james4567
(newbie) Thu 26-Nov-20 14:31:57
Print Post

Yes I know. Tried it with the address. Zen and EE did say it was avalaible, but they were more expensive than BT. Talk Talk come in cheaper but they said it wasn't available, both online and when I rang up. Very odd! We've been able to get Fibre since around July so its nothing too new.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 26-Nov-20 14:48:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by james4567:
Yes I know. Tried it with the address. Zen and EE did say it was avalaible, but they were more expensive than BT. Talk Talk come in cheaper but they said it wasn't available, both online and when I rang up. Very odd! We've been able to get Fibre since around July so its nothing too new.

Ah OK, well if it works out cheaper, you can just use the non DV number and ignore the other number I guess.

smile

CJT.

But NOT for much longer!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to