Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Sat 30-Jan-21 10:23:12
Print Post

VoIP question

[link to this post]

Basically County Broadband are rolling out FTTP to my town. Now it being a non BT Full fibre provider, there is no need to have a phone with them.
Now here comes my VoIP question, if I wanted to use a VoIP handset instead of a line-based one, is there a way to keep the telephone number?
Also can any recommend any good handsets?

Edited by Timalay (Sat 30-Jan-21 15:09:51)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 30-Jan-21 12:45:21
Print Post

Re: VoIP question

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

Chose your provider, then get them to port the number for you - once you have FTTP in place and are cancelling. It needs to be managed properly by you to get timings right.

Look at tge Giogaset GO range which has an N300A base station and a handset. S450GO for example.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User GrumpyBadger
(newbie) Sun 31-Jan-21 10:25:01
Print Post

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

Gigaset are good for VOIP handsets.

Sipgate are an excellent VOIP provider as are AQL. Their offerings are different so look at both and see which suits you best.

I have ported numbers from BT into both of these operators, but talk to them BEFORE you start anything. The timing is absolutely crucial as the various orders / cancellations have to go in the correct sequence, otherwise your number will be lost!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Feb-21 00:36:28
Print Post

[re: GrumpyBadger] [link to this post]

You could get a VOIP service working perhaps via your existing broadband. Then get the VOIP working via the FTTP service and when you are happy with that you can port your number to the VOIP service which will kill your landline and maybe its associateed broadband. I got Plusnet to stop my ADSL service before I requested the port.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to