Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jelockwood
(newbie) Mon 15-Mar-21 10:41:46
Print Post

FTTP and VoIP solutions

[link to this post]

I am aware that BT have an optional Digital Voice service which is supported by their Fibre hub and I believe it may only be supported by their hub. This would give you a single line/number. I am aware that a standard single line VoIP account from various providers would be run over FTTP with either a VoIP device/client or a single port ATA.

I am also aware that businesses could get a SIP trunk service which supports multiple lines/numbers although it is less clear whether some providers would support this over a 'consumer' grade FTTP circuit.

My query is about options that might be considered to be in the middle ground between these two options. The two following possibilities seem potential options.

1. Multiple individual VoIP lines converted from SIP to analogue connections using an ATA - analogue terminal adaptor with multiple ports
2. The above but also supporting the equivalent of the old analogue 'call hunting group' feature

The later would be particularly useful for supporting still working analogue phone systems. I believe the former is already possible with various multiport ATA products but I have seen no discussions about how call hunting groups could be achieved.

It could be that a SIP trunk device which then converts to multiple analogue ports would be the way to achieve this.

Does anyone have suggestions for suitable products? Does anyone have suggestions for VoIP providers suitable for this?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Mar-21 16:00:11
Print Post

Re: FTTP and VoIP solutions

[re: jelockwood] [link to this post]

Voip devices normally have to register with Voip providers. Some devices can have more than one registration. You can probably have as many registrations as you want over a broadband internet connection.

Some Voip providers such as Sipgate allow more than one device to register with the same account details so that both devices ring if the number is called.

Voipfone would only ring that last device to register but are a Voip provider that supports hunting groups. You could learn more about that service using a google search.

Michael Chare
Standard User mrtcs
(newbie) Mon 15-Mar-21 16:13:49
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

+1 for Voipfone. I have used them for years.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tdw42
(member) Mon 15-Mar-21 18:16:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by jelockwood:
I am aware that BT have an optional Digital Voice service which is supported by their Fibre hub and I believe it may only be supported by their hub. This would give you a single line/number.

It is. They also have BT Cloud Phone for business where they provide preconfigured Yealink DECT base and handset

I am aware that a standard single line VoIP account from various providers would be run over FTTP with either a VoIP device/client or a single port ATA. I am also aware that businesses could get a SIP trunk service which supports multiple lines/numbers although it is less clear whether some providers would support this over a 'consumer' grade FTTP circuit.

SIP trunks will run perfectly happily over residential or business ADSL/FTTC/FTTP/EAD connections, providers may suggest certain minimum data rates and/or QoS to guarantee quality. Many providers allow multiple devices to register and be rung simultaneously.

My query is about options that might be considered to be in the middle ground between these two options. The two following possibilities seem potential options.

1. Multiple individual VoIP lines converted from SIP to analogue connections using an ATA - analogue terminal adaptor with multiple ports
2. The above but also supporting the equivalent of the old analogue 'call hunting group' feature

The later would be particularly useful for supporting still working analogue phone systems. I believe the former is already possible with various multiport ATA products but I have seen no discussions about how call hunting groups could be achieved.

There are various ATAs which support multiple analog ports, each linked to a VoIP account. As far as I'm aware they do not support hunting, they just provide multiple 1:1 mappings from VoIP account to analog port.

Does anyone have suggestions for suitable products? Does anyone have suggestions for VoIP providers suitable for this?

Various providers have Centrex-like services (e.g. BT Cloud Voice, sipgate teams) where each VoIP endpoint has a number (so equivalent to DDI on a PBX), you can have additional numbers to provide hunt groups.
The AAISP VoIP offering also allows you to build call flows including announcements, IVR, hunting, voicemail.

If you have an existing PBX with four trunks, presumably each with its own directory number, you could have five VoIP numbers, a four-port ATA each registered to one number and the fifth number as a hunt group for the four.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 19-Mar-21 18:35:12
Print Post

There's so many ways to swing this cat. When getting into hunt groups etc - I would err towards something like Asterisk/FreePBX which is a fully fledged PBX software that will run on a little linux box or can be hosted.

The learning curve may be slightly steep at first, but you can accomplish just about any/most things.with Asterisk.

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to