Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Apr-21 14:38:49
Print Post

VoIP spam calls

[link to this post]

I have a basic handset connected to a Cisco ATA, with service from AAISP. This works well, but for the last two months I've been getting regular VoIP "spam". Junk calls that maybe I had on the old PSTN line, but just never happened when I was at home.

Do any of the providers have any software side junk filters? The calling line ID is made up rubbish, different each time. I've currently set all my calls to go to voicemail, and I get emailed an MP3 of the junk.

thanks for ideas.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Thu 01-Apr-21 16:10:06
Print Post

Re: VoIP spam calls

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

you can blocklist individual numbers or specify digits and block numbers beginning with these on Sipgate's basic (free) service

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Apr-21 16:14:20
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
you can blocklist individual numbers or specify digits and block numbers beginning with these on Sipgate's basic (free) service
Thanks, but the numbers seem randomly generated, so that wouldn't help!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Thu 01-Apr-21 16:17:42
Print Post

If there is no discernible pattern to it, the only other thing I can think of (on your side) is to run the call through something like Asterisk and filter them that way, but that is the proverbial sledgehammer and walnut

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User farrinaf
(learned) Sat 24-Apr-21 11:11:46
Print Post

Might I suggest you review this thread as this was pretty much my situation. The solution requires the purchase of a Truecall device (which are not cheap at circa £100) but based on my and my mothers experience (also a user) they are reliable (running > 4 years).

The Truecall is highly configurable and very effective - since installed I don’t recall ever having been disturbed by a spam call (typically spammers drop the call and move onto more profitable “victims”) Obviously the automated type of messages, just talk to themselves.

So the output from your ATA would go to the Truecall (would need RJ11 to female BT socket adapter) with the output from the Truecall going from BT female to a standard phone (RJ11)

Not a cheap solution, but in my experience, highly effective.

Edited by farrinaf (Sat 24-Apr-21 13:40:33)

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sat 24-Apr-21 15:55:55
Print Post

A change of number is another solution.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Apr-21 17:59:33
Print Post

[re: farrinaf] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by farrinaf:
The solution requires the purchase of a Truecall device (which are not cheap at circa £100) but based on my and my mothers experience (also a user) they are reliable (running > 4 years).
In reply to a post by trolleybus:
A change of number is another solution.
Thanks, I don't want to spend any money, and wondered if VoIP providers had anything built in that could help. My instinct is to get rid of the line as I make and receive so few calls, it wouldn't be missed.

But I found a solution that works for me, use the VoIP suppliers voicemail, and force every call to there. The spam calls have dried up, and it means I can keep the number I've had for around 20 years, in case someone calls it, they can leave a message.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 24-Apr-21 19:29:22
Print Post

Good simple solution, especially as your inbound call volumes are low. Forcing them into an IVR or 'waiting area' would similarly do the trick I suspect. I run everything through asterisk, so that's a doddle, but setting it up specifically for a handful of spam calls would be a sledgehammer/walnut affair I think.

The name of the game for them is to make as many dial attempts as possible and work the percentages, they don't want to be hanging about.
  Print Thread

Jump to