Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Apr-21 17:06:31
Print Post

Multiple connected VoIP phones (or ATAs) one number

[link to this post]

If you connect two (or more) VOIP phones or ATAs all set up with same Log In details to the same router or switch, what happens? Do they all ring and you can answer any phone?

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco ATA191 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Apr-21 17:25:20
Print Post

Re: Multiple connected VoIP phones (or ATAs) one number

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
If you connect two (or more) VOIP phones or ATAs all set up with same Log In details to the same router or switch, what happens? Do they all ring and you can answer any phone?
Depends on the VoIP provider. Some let you log in ("register") multiple handsets to one phone number, others do not. If you have multiple registered they can be on different internet connections, in differnet parts of the world, and they all ring when the number is called.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User jpm
(member) Mon 26-Apr-21 17:29:44
Print Post

What jchamier said.

If your use case is having multiple handsets in your home connected to a single SIP account then a lot of the DECT VoIP phones separate handsets and SIP accounts - so you can have multiple handsets on a single account but it's not firing multiple registrations at a server.

If you want to have multiple handsets in an office environment then you'd be better off with some sort of PBX (cloud hosted or otherwise).

I've not tested it myself but I would not have much confidence in multiple SIP registrations behind the same NAT being reliable.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Mon 26-Apr-21 17:54:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:

Cheers!

If there are several handsets/end-point devices behind your router registering to the same SIP host in the cloud, then the best practise advice advice is to not use the same SIP port numbers on each end user device, but to increment by one so that they are different. e.g. see advice below from Sipgate

https://teamhelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/204...

This is subtly but fundamentally different to having one device (e.g. an asterisk box - a software PBX basically) behind your router handling multiple SIP registrations to the outside world and then having multiple handsets that connect to it, rather than a SIP provider directly to multiple handsets. If that makes sense.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Apr-21 20:36:52
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I think Voipfone just calls the last device to register. Sipgate certainly allow more than one device to register and will ring both. I have only done this from different public IP addresses.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to