Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Feb-11 19:04:38
Print Post

Re: IIS & PHP on XP Pro - What am I doing wrong?

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Not to sound patronizing, but have you checked that the IIS anon user has permission to write to the file?

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Feb-11 19:15:50
Print Post

[re: pmb00cs] [link to this post]

Nothing patronizing about that, it's not something I'd though about nor to my recollection, done anything about when I first installed IIS and got it all working.

However...

It's all happening on the one PC, this one. So IIS and the website data files are all on this PC albeit on a different logical drive. The username is the same as before, mine, as I'm the only user.

At the Web Sites branch of the IIS tree and going to Properties / Directory Security / Edit Anonymous Access it refers to a user name IUSR_computername with a password of something or other. Not sure whether that's what you're referring to. But I'm almost certain I didn't change anything in that area before the rebuild.

Tony
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Feb-11 19:44:23
Print Post

Sort of what I'm talking about.

The NTFS file permissions on the files that are being written too by IIS need to allow the IIS user to write to them.

This can be acheived either by giving the "everyone" group the necessary permissions (not a good idea in a production environment, but not so bad in a test environment) or by specifically granting the permissions to the IUSR_computername user.

I'm not saying this is the issue. But it does warrant checking.

If you have the folders on a second drive, and have copied them manually I would suspect that the "everyone" group already has permission, unless specifically set not to.

However, you have stated that you reinstalled XP, in which case the NTFS permissions may still be referencing the UUIDs of the users and groups of the old installation, and so may not work as expected.

My web server

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Feb-11 21:14:16
Print Post

I couldn't see how to change the group permissions, Windows Explorer didn't give me the choice.

Howsoever, as the file was only a 4 byte test file with a count in it I created an appropriate text file on the C: drive, copied to the test folder, and bingo it worked! And the approach also worked for the other two test sites I run under IIS.

As it is purely a very local test environment and is never exposed to web access, permissions are less relevant than they would be if it were web visible.

Many thanks for guiding me to a solution.

Tony
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Feb-11 21:19:10
Print Post

No problem, glad I could be of service.

For reference, to change file permissions you first need to turn off simple file sharing (which works in exactly the same way as none simple file sharing under the hood, it just doesn't let you tune the permissions properly) and then in the properties box will be a security tab. This is where to edit permissions.

My web server
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Feb-11 21:22:59
Print Post

Ah, that option at the end of the Folder Options View list, not played with that - yet smile

Tony
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Feb-11 21:38:42
Print Post

One word of warning, when messing with NTFS permissions NEVER set a deny permission on the "everyone" group, and only set deny permissions on groups if you are sure that you will be able to unset them (Do not add the local admin account to any effected groups, for example)

My web server
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Feb-11 22:31:09
Print Post

Yes, I've had experience of settings various permissions on Windows Servers, always good fun. And on mainframe systems long before that. Care is indeed needed.

Tony
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to