Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WannabeMKII
(experienced) Sat 05-Mar-11 19:07:34
Print Post

Re: e-mail address

[re: Supatramp] [link to this post]

Why not buy a domain for just over £5 for a couple of years, then host the email free with Google Apps?

From within Google Apps, you can then poll your aol address and keep all your email in one place.

You can then access it via a browser, or use a client of your choosing.

This is what I do and it works brilliant, plus I've an Android phone, so instant email if that's something you require.

Hope that helps, but any questions, let me know...

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Mar-11 19:14:59
Print Post

[re: WannabeMKII] [link to this post]

When did advertising in sigs become acceptable?
(experienced) Sat 05-Mar-11 19:20:02
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 12eason:
When did advertising in sigs become acceptable?

It's been there for over a month and didn't realise they weren't allowed...?

I've just checked the FAQ and it doesn't appear to be an issue?

Happy to remove it if it's breaking the rules, or tweak it?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Supatramp
(regular) Sat 05-Mar-11 19:55:06
Print Post

[re: NickyJ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NickyJ:
WHat I have done is purchased a .co.uk domain with 123-reg at £7.xx for 2 yrs. I have then set up the mail forwarding to my email address which is given by my ISP.

That's interesting and cheap! It's all new to me so how was the setup process?

David
Standard User Supatramp
(regular) Sat 05-Mar-11 20:00:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by WannabeMKII:
Why not buy a domain for just over £5 for a couple of years, then host the email free with Google Apps?

From within Google Apps, you can then poll your aol address and keep all your email in one place.

You can then access it via a browser, or use a client of your choosing.

This is what I do and it works brilliant, plus I've an Android phone, so instant email if that's something you require.

Hope that helps, but any questions, let me know...

That sounds interesting but also a bit complicated for a simple soul like me to setup! lol I currently access 5 addresses via Thunderbird.

David
(experienced) Sat 05-Mar-11 20:05:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by Supatramp:
That sounds interesting but also a bit complicated for a simple soul like me to setup! lol I currently access 5 addresses via Thunderbird.

It really isn't complicated, google make it as straightforward as possible, as long as you can access your DNS settings, it's easy smile

Buy a domain, set up an apps account, amend the MX DNS to point to the apps account that google provide and that's pretty much it.

Then once that's setup, within the settings of the gmail account, you can poll (via pop3) other email account. I do this for 2 hotmail and 2 aol accounts.

It;s no more difficult than any other suggestion you're going to get...

Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 05-Mar-11 20:32:42
Print Post

Have you decided on a domain name, e.g. supatramp.com, supatramp.co.uk etc.? The first step is to purchase that domain. The people you buy the domain from will have a web-based control panel for you to point your domain at a host.

Once that is done host it with someone like http://www.dream-hosting.co.uk/ for a tenner a year. You don't have to use the associated web-space but that'll allow you to use their e-mail servers.
Standard User NickyJ
(regular) Sun 06-Mar-11 08:33:15
Print Post

I went to www.123-reg.co.uk searcheD for ages for a domain name suitable that was available registered it, you fill In the form and it quite straightforward. The through there management console
you can create email forwards for any [email protected] to any email address you would
like or you could just put a catchall (or as well) to an email address. I set outlook to have a different email address than the one I have for the smtp servers I am sending to, unfortunately when I switched to sky I had to register that email address with them and it came up with funny
on behalf of in the dispalyed email address in outlook see my post in the sky forum about it but found a way around it.

My Broadband Speed Test
Currently with Talk Talk business (nee Freedom 2 Surf).
Switching to Sky.
Standard User NickyJ
(regular) Sun 06-Mar-11 08:38:18
Print Post

I looked at this for my sending on behalf of issue. It appeared to me that if you purchase your domain else where there is an additional charge so if you go this route buy the domain through them.

My Broadband Speed Test
Currently with Talk Talk business (nee Freedom 2 Surf).
Switching to Sky.
(experienced) Sun 06-Mar-11 09:40:05
Print Post

[re: NickyJ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NickyJ:
I looked at this for my sending on behalf of issue. It appeared to me that if you purchase your domain else where there is an additional charge so if you go this route buy the domain through them.

Can you elaborate a little more on your 'sending on behalf' issue?

I send on behalf through apps and also send through other SMTP servers through apps, all without a charge, but your case may be different?

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to