Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RTFishall
(newbie) Thu 21-Apr-11 21:31:28
Print Post

Re: Domain Name Registrar

[re: pmb00cs] [link to this post]

I would recommend Easily at http://easily.co.uk/
I have been with them for seven years and they haven't gone bust yet unlike many others!!
Also, have you thought of having a ".eu" domain name. Nice and short and lots available cheaply. Hope this helps.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 21-Apr-11 21:47:45
Print Post

Are there any large registrars who don't have similar complaints (apart from shooting elephants, all the rest shoot rhinos)?
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Apr-11 21:51:16
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

None that have stuck in my mind quite so much as godaddy.

But that is why I am asking for the experiance of others, and why I asked BatBoy if he was serious (That and I have seen him give advice of questionable validity before)

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mixt
(experienced) Thu 21-Apr-11 22:20:47
Print Post

www.domainmonster.com

When Fasthosts (UKReg) had their password screw up some years ago now, that was the final straw. I moved everything away from UKReg. But to where? I hunted like crazy for a UK based company (so, no GoDaddy-ness for me) until I found DomainMonster. Very helpful company, based in Surrey, small, but definitely a big player that keeps its head below the water line (as most people I mention them to have never heard of them). They have a very functional control panel, and all the usual features you would need/expect. I host all my domains with them, bar one.

The one exception is a domain I moved away from them to www.joker.com instead - simply because, joker.com allow IPv6 glue records on name severs of a domain, whereas DomainMonster do not. DM also don't support AAAA records (and no indication from them of when that will change either), another downer for anyone who's an IPv6 fanatic.

Why Joker? Used them before, very slick system, comparable, if not better than GoDaddy, but without all the flash website images of pretty girls filling up your browser (you know, if I wanted to see that [censored], I'd go and visit the Sun website, and click on page 3).

Don't get me wrong, my last place of employment used GoDaddy for everything. I've used their portal, and it's all good, but I've read too many horror stories about what the company is, how it operates, and all that negative PR has made me dismiss them as a domain name registrar I would ever consider using (cheapest is not always best, but you've heard that many times before I'm sure).

So, in short, for me I use mostly DomainMonster, except for the IPv6 geekyness requirement on 1 domain, where I use joker.com instead.

My 2p worth.

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Edited by mixt (Thu 21-Apr-11 22:36:13)

Standard User RoadRailer_Pilot
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 24-Apr-11 13:31:38
Print Post

Late to the thread but I can recommend http://register1.net
A docklands based registrar whom I have used for years.

1 click google apps mx records and full DNS control.

Utterly reliable host / registrar.

Sensible prices too.

Danny B
Draytek2820Vn ZeN 8000 Office
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 24-Apr-11 18:53:59
Print Post

tsohost, £5.99 inc. vat per 2 years.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 24-Apr-11 23:23:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by pmb00cs:
Oh, and for those with an interest in animal welfare the CEO likes posting videos of himself shooting elephants too.
Are you serious?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User jaba
(newbie) Mon 25-Apr-11 08:17:03
Print Post

I can vouch for Easily too. Been with them since 2001 without any problems.They used to use joker.com based in Holland to register high level domains I seem to remember but are now independent as far as I know.
I also use HeartInternet and have been very happy with them. They are a bit cheaper too.
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Apr-11 10:29:33
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

As it happens, on that particular point, not really.

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server
Standard User cavillas
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Apr-11 12:05:11
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
Are there any large registrars who don't have similar complaints (apart from shooting elephants, all the rest shoot rhinos)?

Many of them give nice homes to Penguins. smile

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

Idnetters Official Forums

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to