Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CathayPacific
(newbie) Wed 08-Feb-12 01:33:10
Print Post

How to get a WWW.mysite.com ?

[link to this post]

hello all

sorry to ask a simple question am new to this. How and where do i register a web site address ? Try to keep it simple and easy please. Next need to make a website with pictures and text which free and easy package for design do you recommend ?
Is there going to be a steep learning curve ?

Thankyou.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Feb-12 02:00:42
Print Post

Re: How to get a WWW.mysite.com ?

[re: CathayPacific] [link to this post]

You can buy a website and domain name from somewhere like TsoHost. As for building a website, you could start off installing a simple CMS like Joomla!, Drupal or Wordpress. They can be installed using Scriptalicious via cPanel, which comes preinstalled on the server, so the whole process is very simple. From there, you can add content fairly easily. If you want your own style though, you'll probably need to either learn some PHP to edit the default templates, or go hunting for templates on the web to install. There are plenty to choose from, so again, there's not much effort involved.

Edited by 12eason (Wed 08-Feb-12 02:02:00)

Standard User pcologist
(newbie) Wed 08-Feb-12 06:53:44
Print Post

Hi CathyPacfic
If you have never used web editors much and just want to get on and do your thing! Then it’s certainly worth having a look at oneandone.co.uk and using their own “create your own website facility” it’s very easy to use and will probably more than suit your needs. I have used their web space now for well over 15 years for all of my sites and I have found them to be extremely reliable and very helpful, not the cheapest but very good.
Incidentally web mastering can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it my guess is you just want your site up for all to see? Please do not hesitate to ask if you require any more help….all the best with your project.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Feb-12 15:08:01
Print Post

[re: pcologist] [link to this post]

I remember reading that 1and1 don't release domain names and have lots of down time. Maybe that's different now?

(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Feb-12 11:23:02
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

1and1 do release domain names when requested, I don't know about down time though but it always seems to be up whenever I access it.

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Feb-12 14:11:37
Print Post

[re: cavillas] [link to this post]

Regardless, I'd imagine if you create a website using their 'web authoring' junk, you are going to be tied to them. You could add years of content, but if you then start getting messed around, it would be a pain to move it all because the software it runs on is copyrighted. You'd have to create a new site, and copy and paste all the content across.

(newbie) Fri 10-Feb-12 18:31:30
Print Post

hi 12eason
The request was for a ” which free and easy package for design do you recommend?” Cathaypacific obviously knows nothing about web mastering….I do and the simplest solution for anyone that knows nothing at all about web sites and wants to get on NOW is with 1&1 “create your own website facility” as stated.
Incidentally your derogatory remark quote ”Web authoring junk” is incorrect it is really quite clever and is taking quite a bit of business away from web masters because it is so easy to use and is very well priced.
I have the greatest respect for anyone who wants to “give it a go” and once their first site is up and running they soon want to advance their knowledge and technique. As a retired 70 year old who has many years of experience in the industry hands on and tutelage, to be able to freely pass this on I find it rewarding that someone wants to learn and pointing them in the right direction is the least we can do.

Incidentally in the 15 years I have been doing business with 1&1 I cannot remember them being down and they have always been excellent at releasing names and procuring them.
Speaking as I find I have no hesitation in recommending them.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-12 19:18:38
Print Post

Now I'm starting to think you are a 1and1 rep.

Look, search for 1and1 on google and once you get past their own sites and the wiki entry, you just get pages and pages of flames. That suggests to me that they are in fact a terrible host. Here's a few choice hits from the first few pages;

http://www.thespanner.co.uk/2007/08/06/1and1-suck/
http://www.kevstrong.com/technology/1and1-the-most-h...
http://tech.e-ignite.co.uk/website/buying-a-new-doma...
http://james.blogs.herm.it/blog/2011/06/14/1and1-int...
http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/domain-name-registrars...
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Broadband-down-y...

etc etc.

(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Feb-12 21:16:48
Print Post

I used to have several clients using 1&1 and there was never a single complaint from any of them. These clients needs ranged from the simplest of needs to fairly complicated retailing etc sites. These include single and multiple domains - 17 in one case.
I still keep in touch with these clients regularly and every one of them still uses 1&1.

Edited by Deadbeat (Wed 15-Feb-12 21:19:19)

Standard User johnsellinge
(newbie) Tue 21-Feb-12 10:21:16
Print Post

Re: How to get a WWW.mysite.com ? *DELETED*

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Sadoldman
Standard User bcma
(newbie) Tue 21-Feb-12 11:10:55
Print Post

I use both 1and1 with their website builder, and also TSOHost and use a CMS (Concrete) to build a website.

I have little experience of building websites so my take on the two options is:

1and1; very easy to use and get a website up and running very quickly. They are more expensive and customer service is by email. Although when I have had to contact them they have resolved the issue. Yes there do seem to be a lot of people with issues about 1and1, but they are also very big in this field so you would expect a certain amount - I have no idea whether the complaints about them are excessive or normal for the size of company.

TSOHost; needs a little more effort and expertise to get up and running, but if you can do that then you will end up with something more flexible and capable of development. They are also cheaper and, in my experience, the customer service is superb.

Basically it comes down to how much time and effort you are able to put into it. If it is important to you to have a small website, just a few pages that are easy to design but not too elaborate and that requires little maintenance then the website builder at 1and1 could be the best option. If you are able to give it a bit more time and effort and are looking to develop a more comprehensive site then I can thoroughly recommend TSOHost for this.
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Tue 21-Feb-12 11:57:27
Print Post

[re: johnsellinge] [link to this post]

Looks and feels far too much like spam.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

[email protected]
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Adamant
(legend) Fri 24-Feb-12 11:28:05
Print Post

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

...what about the comments from pcologist?

Adam
Sky Max LLU
Standard User ultra
(experienced) Wed 18-Apr-12 19:08:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcologist:
Incidentally in the 15 years I have been doing business with 1&1 I cannot remember them being down ... I have no hesitation in recommending them.
Can see you're happy with them. I found them (years ago) to fib (claiming Nominet did not allow a PO Box address, an outright lie, as Nominet had no rule preventing such use) and then charging annually while quoting monthly fees, and adding VAT with no mention it was not included. Also, initial bill was 30 days after order, but renewal fee charged at month 11, a month earlier than renewal date and before opportunity to cancel. Even cancelling was made awkward by hiding how to do it in help text.

They may have changed some policies, but I found it interesting they offered 3 years free web hosting when opening their N American data centre, but excluded Europeans from the deal. It was to get market share, clearly, but if they could afford to do that for USA/Canada, they could actually have dropped prices in EU and N America for everyone.

Back to the original question... as someone else pointed out, using a tool from a hosting firm may be OK for a small site, but (a) can prove more costly long term (esp if the design stays fairly static - one continuously pays higher monthly fees for a feature used just in the first few(?) months) and (b) troublesome if one wants to expand the site to include some feature not handled with the 'design tools' hosting... and (c) the code and images may be held in copyright so cannot be simply copied off to other hosting.

Loads of hosting firms (such as HostGator.com, Google's site builder, or Heart Internet, 1and1 - plus MrSite) offer tools and templates (though of course some may be using American English and have 'non-UK' images) so it can be an easy way to get up and running but doesn't always represent best long-term solution.

Yes, get a simple site knocked up with such tools, if one wants, but do invest some time and effort into examining the code with a view to building a similar or better site, from scratch, that is more easily moved and then get hosting with reliable e-mail servers etc, or go down the CMS route and get hosting with cPanel and Fantastico or similar (to install the package for you), but with hosting that also allows you full modification access to tailor colours, images, etc.

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...

1996? Enterprise (IoM 0345) + Clara.net
1998? Clara.net + Freeserve

2000 Freeserve 500kbps (+ Clara dial-up + Clara USENET/Mail)
2002 ? Eclipse 500 kbps + FS
2003 ? UKFSN 1000 kbps + Eclipse
2005 ? PlusNet 8 Mbps+ Eclipse
moved home - used office BB
2008 Three dongle at home
2010 PlusNet 2 Mbps + Three dongle
2012 PN 10 Mbps + Three (ZTE 802.11 router) + Three mobile (802.11 hotspot)
2013 PN 30? Mbps + VM 30+? Mbps + Three mobile
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jun-12 23:56:55
Print Post

I've been registering my domain names with Easily.co.uk since 2000.

Never had any problems with them

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
3.48Mb/s - 0.91Mb/s - 27ms
http://speedtest.net/result/1940826652.png
Standard User rob54
(committed) Thu 05-Jul-12 23:53:44
Print Post

I use Dream Hosting for domain registration and website hosting (see link in signature below), and KompoZer to write website. I have almost no knowledge about web authoring so my site is all contained inside tables, cells of which are used as menu items. To learn how to use KompoZer, there's GregTutors.

--------------------------------------------------------------
o2 Broadband Standard, Wireless box 5, Avast Free AntiVirus 7.0, Outpost firewall 6.5
Website hosting & Domain name provider - Dream-Hosting
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Jul-12 17:50:35
Print Post

[re: rob54] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rob54:
<snip> and KompoZer to write website. I have almost no knowledge about web authoring so my site is all contained inside tables, cells of which are used as menu items. To learn how to use KompoZer, there's GregTutors.

Rather than using software that has been abandoned to craft a web site, why not use one that is actively developed and supported? The last beta release of Kompozer was 0.8b3 in 28/2/2010!

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User trolleybus
(regular) Sun 29-Jul-12 19:33:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by CathayPacific:
sorry to ask a simple question am new to this. How and where do i register a web site address ? Try to keep it simple and easy please. Next need to make a website with pictures and text which free and easy package for design do you recommend ?

Simple questions but very difficult to have dumbed down answers.
IMHO web site templates may inhibit you from going in a desired direction with your web site and it may be quite difficult to move to a different platform in the future. But the cart is before the horse as there are a number of steps to take before hand.

First you need to register a domain name of your choice and once one is found that domain name needs to be hosted somewhere. These two steps are best combined into one for the novice. Domain name cost are small if .co.uk is used but very much higher for something like .cc

On some sites you can just enter the name you want to use and you will be provided with a listing of the all the domain names that are currently available. Expect to be play around with this concept for quite some time as generally anything you would like to have is already registered. Here is somewhere where you can do just that: http://www.compila.com/domain-name-registration/doma... but there are very many different sites offering this service.

The next step is to have a clear idea of what you want to achieve in cyberspace. There is no point in spending hours on your masterpiece if the potential audience is less than a few hundred. Sketch out the planned web site on paper first!

OK what tools to use to create your masterpiece. My strong advice is to do it off line because you will always have a backup of your site on your home computer. At this point your friend and mentor is Google. A search like "How to create a simple we site" brings up loads of options and help especially if you look beyond the first page of results.

You asked if it was a step learning curve. Well that depends on the mountain you wish to climb. It can be easy or as difficult as you wish to make it, but a little understanding of what goes on under the bonnet of web pages will shine through onto your web site.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Jul-12 22:34:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by CathayPacific:
..... Next need to make a website with pictures and text which free and easy package for design do you recommend ?

The CoffeeCup Editor has always been both simple and intuitive to use. The link is to the free version:

"The Free HTML Editor is a trimmed-down version of the CoffeeCup HTML Editor, and does not contain the CSS Menu Designer, FTP Upload (but you can sync with S-Drive), Image Mapper, and Website Color Schemer."
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-Jul-12 13:43:38
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
Rather than using software that has been abandoned to craft a web site, why not use one that is actively developed and supported? The last beta release of Kompozer was 0.8b3 in 28/2/2010!

DrT
And what would you suggest?

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (waiting to see)
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Jul-12 17:21:23
Print Post

[re: ukwiz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukwiz:
And what would you suggest?

Either WYSIWYG Web Builder or Website Realizer. First one can be installed on three PCs and has excellent support and is the one I use. Got the second one as it had a 50% discount at Bits du Jour and looked interesting. Both very capable and well supported. Neither are free but they are both well worth their costs.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User Pulse8Broadband
(newbie) Wed 18-Mar-15 16:38:01
Print Post

I have found that Weebly is pretty good for just dragging and dropping content onto the site. It starts off free, but you can pay for extras such as a domain name and ability to remove the created from Weebly footer.

If you want something a bit better which offers a lot more flexibility, but also still cheap, I would recomment 111webhost. I have used them before and for £1 a month, they are really good and have decent support for the price.

Standard User DeveloperGeek
(newbie) Fri 20-Mar-15 02:58:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by 12eason:
Now I'm starting to think you are a 1and1 rep.

Look, search for 1and1 on google and once you get past their own sites and the wiki entry, you just get pages and pages of flames. That suggests to me that they are in fact a terrible host. Here's a few choice hits from the first few pages;

http://www.thespanner.co.uk/2007/08/06/1and1-suck/
http://www.kevstrong.com/technology/1and1-the-most-h...
http://tech.e-ignite.co.uk/website/buying-a-new-doma...
http://james.blogs.herm.it/blog/2011/06/14/1and1-int...
http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/domain-name-registrars...
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Broadband-down-y...

etc etc.

Yes, I have also checked their hosting reviews (http://windowswebhostingreview.com/1and1-windows-hos...), it seems they are not good enough. I would recommend you to try other hosting provider

Edited by DeveloperGeek (Fri 20-Mar-15 02:58:54)

Standard User Sarah023
(newbie) Wed 13-May-15 07:35:20
Print Post

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to