Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Mon 09-Sep-13 18:06:40
Print Post

WYSIWYG site builder?

[link to this post]

I have a website built 12 years ago, and still updated using Trellix 2.7.
That later became CuteSiteBuilder, but I didn't even attempt to transfer it to the new programme in case I made a mess of it.
Surprisingly, Trellix has worked well on 3 different OS's (Currently W7 Pro) but I've been aware for some time that it's not good using an obsolete programme.

My hosting company (Easily) had always been 100% until early August when I began having the first of 4 incidents of the site being down.
Today I spoke to a lady there who did say that the Linux server it's on is an older one, so not as reliable as it used to be.
She suggested that if the tech people don't manage to get my site back up on that old server, it may be an idea to transfer to a newer one, but just in case the Trellix site didn't work properly on a newer server, they'd try fixing it first.

I'm not even sure I know how to add new server details to the programme to have it work - I didn't do that part myself in the first place, and even then it was 12 years ago.

So, I'm wondering if there is a WYSIWYG type site builder that is reliable and easy to use - that way, I could start building a new site and use that if things don't resolve with the current site.
I'm wanting one that will allow me to use the whole page rather than just a central slice.
Someone suggested Sitespinner to me last year, but they hadn't actually used it.

Standard User chippy2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Sep-13 14:12:37
Print Post

Re: WYSIWYG site builder?

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sat 14-Sep-13 19:33:59
Print Post

[re: chippy2] [link to this post]

Thanks - just had a brief look through the features and it looks promising!
Have you used this at all?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tomwilliam378
(newbie) Fri 20-Sep-13 05:19:57
Print Post

WYSIWYG editors can never build a proper website. You would have to learn at least HTML, but better would be to also learn CSS and PHP. If you want an out of the box solution, instead of looking for a WYSIWYG editor, you could better use a CMS instead, such as Joomla for example.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Sep-13 23:35:37
Print Post

[re: tomwilliam378] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tomwilliam378:
WYSIWYG editors can never build a proper website. You would have to learn at least HTML, but better would be to also learn CSS and PHP. If you want an out of the box solution, instead of looking for a WYSIWYG editor, you could better use a CMS instead, such as Joomla for example.

I would respectfully suggest that you go to the WYSIWYG website and look at some of the impressive improper websites that the program can build; before making silly comments.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sat 21-Sep-13 01:08:06
Print Post

[re: tomwilliam378] [link to this post]

I've only ever used one WYSIWYG programme (Trellix 2.7 Publish Anywhere) which is now obsolete, but has worked on three OS's over almost 12 years for the same website.

The website is a great informative thing to have, but it's a sort of necessary evil, somewhat like photography for me ...something I need to do that eats into my actual work time.

Thanks for that, but entering into unknown territory isn't something I want to do.
I sort of know vaguely what CSS and PHP are, and don't want to learn HTML.
All I need is an easy to understand and use programme for making a website that I can update easily as and when I need to.

I'll probably try the wysiwygwebbuilder when I get some free time.
I thought I'd found a good one recently with Clikpic until I realised you have to use their hosting too.

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sat 21-Sep-13 01:09:23
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

That's reassuring! Thanks. I'll try it sometime soon.

Standard User speedbird34
(newbie) Sun 17-Nov-13 03:32:10
Print Post

re WYSIWYG site builders

For others going down this route this review of website builders will be useful.

Please note that you may not able to move your site to another host if you'd rather a cheaper/better one in future.

If you can you might find it less restricting to use Wordpress instead.

Currently displaying a bad ping rate between brain cells...
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by speedbird34 (Sun 17-Nov-13 03:36:21)

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sun 17-Nov-13 18:27:16
Print Post

Re: re WYSIWYG site builders

[re: speedbird34] [link to this post]

Thanks.
Looks like some I haven't seen before.

I do need one that can be used with my current hosting company.

I'll read through those reviews though to see how they compare to wysiwygwebbuilder.com.

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sun 05-Jan-14 17:25:21
Print Post

I haven't got around to doing anything about a new site yet, but last night, for the first time ever, I had a problem with my current site updating, so in case it's something I can't resolve, thought I'd get a copy of WYSIWYGsitebuilder and see how I get on with it.

I looked to see about downloading it, and already encountered a problem:

After you have downloaded the zip file you must run setup.exe to install the software on your computer. Follow the instructions on the screen and then wait for the installation to complete. A new icon will be added to your desktop called 'WYSIWYG Web Builder'. By default the program files will be installed in the folder
C:\Program Files\WYSIWYG Web Builder 9\ All your personal files (projects, templates, extensions, themes etc.) will be stored in your documents folder:
My Documents\WYSIWYG Web Builder\

I definitely don't want to install it on 'C' as it's an SSD and I only use it for OS and essential stuff.
I always install programmes on the third drive: K and my documents are on that drive too - is there a way around this I wonder?

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Jan-14 17:38:47
Print Post

You can change the path for the install during the install. I can here - I have just ran the installer to check. It's on the third screen, the one after the licence agreement.

BTW, the Windows FTP client is broken which the program uses by default. Instructions for the (easy) fix on the forums.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sun 05-Jan-14 17:49:32
Print Post

Thank you - feel happier about downloading it now smile

Re the FTP ..is this the thing where it's necessary to change to 'winsock'? I'd have thought the newest version would have the issue resolved. I'll look out for it, but I'm thinking getting to the publishing it stage may be some way off for me with this.
(I was having a mooch through the forum there earlier and saw how people had encountered the updating problems)

Been a long time since I did the Trellix one, so I'm hoping this will more intuitive and fairly easy (if I can't resolve the current problem) - or I'll end up way behind with my work again.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Jan-14 20:14:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by TrishaH:
Thank you - feel happier about downloading it now smile

Re the FTP ..is this the thing where it's necessary to change to 'winsock'? I'd have thought the newest version would have the issue resolved. I'll look out for it, but I'm thinking getting to the publishing it stage may be some way off for me with this.

The problem is with Windows (IE 11 to be exact) and not WYSIWYG. Even the windows FTP client does not work apparently. The method of publishing does not make the blindest bit of difference that I can see.

Edited by DrTeeth (Sun 05-Jan-14 20:17:47)

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sun 05-Jan-14 22:22:36
Print Post

...and I do have IE11!
I'll have to see if I can find the easy fix you mention. Does it work for you?

Frustrating to find no method of contacting them to ask any questions before starting, and no way to join the forum either without having paid for a license key!

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jan-14 20:16:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by TrishaH:
...and I do have IE11!
I'll have to see if I can find the easy fix you mention. Does it work for you?

Frustrating to find no method of contacting them to ask any questions before starting, and no way to join the forum either without having paid for a license key!

Changing to winsock works perfectly.

Have you found http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html yet? This *may* work [email protected], it was found on a page dealing with recovering serial numbers. The help file is also quite good too.

I am sure that it will not take it too long for you to decide if the product is good for you or not.

The manual can be d/l here http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/download.html.

Support on the forum is very good and the program is updated quite frequently.

Regards

DrT

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Mon 06-Jan-14 22:46:29
Print Post

Ah, thank you - very reassuring. I see the programme I downloaded had 'winsock' showing by default, so perhaps they fixed the programme now.

I did download the manual.
Thank you for the extra info too ..I couldn't find that. The forum does look very helpful.

Last night, I made a start by using a template and eliminating everything on it I don't need in order to make a home page. Once I look up how to make the next page and link to it, I'll try doing that too.

Easily told me today my current site won't update because I'm out of data transfer, so I purchased 5 GB only to see afterward that I now have 7.2, so hadn't run out at all, and It still won't update!

I'll have another try with Easily tomorrow, but I do think it's time I tried making a new site because my current one's programme has been obsolete for some years now and there's no support or manuals available.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jan-14 20:32:07
Print Post

Re: re WYSIWYG site builders *DELETED*

Post deleted by DrTeeth
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jan-14 20:32:19
Print Post

You can see most of the forums but not all. The reason why they brought in the serial number requirement was that so many people were using pirated copies and them coming to the forum for help.
All I can tell you, and I am not a web design maven by any means, it that the software and the support is 110%.

In the interest of balance, you may want to check out http://www.websiterealizer.com/. It is also has a reasonable update frequency, but there tend to be minor compared to WYSIWYG. Support is also good.

Good luck. Happy to help further if I can.

Regards

DrT

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Wed 08-Jan-14 01:50:46
Print Post

Thank you very much for the further information.
I see now why there's a need for the serial number in order to use the forum.

The websiterealizer looks quite good too - thanks. For now I'll stick with this trial download of WYSIWYG and see how I get on. Haven't got any further with it yet ...hopefully soon.
I've only ever made the one website, and that was perhaps 12 years ago or more, and no doubt I'll find this new programme just as baffling in parts.

Easily have been trying to log into my site with FileZilla to view the hosting, and couldn't, so gave me a new password and are getting the systems team to check the hosting - hopefully, they can sort it out and I can take my time building a new site.

Thank you for being so helpful.

Standard User alext05
(member) Wed 08-Jan-14 13:52:26
Print Post

Two people have sensibly suggested to use a free open source CMS (Joomla, Wordpress) to build your new website instead. Are you interested in this, and if not why not? It's not hard to use them and most hosts will support them by default and even provide one click installations.

With Wordpress, you can even have you site up and running in a matter of minutes, if hosted on their servers, and you can simply pay a small annual fee to map your existing domain to that site which will initially have yoursitename.wordpress.com domain name.

If you are so keen on coding things yourself, they will give you an opportunity to do so by either customising modules and templates or creating your own ones.

What they also give on top of that is a very flexible attractive modern framework that can be extended to do many things by using third party extensions.

Additionally, they have many free responsive design templates that can automatically scale down to be displayed well on any device, be it a tablet or a smart phone.
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Wed 08-Jan-14 18:20:23
Print Post

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

Thanks - I'm sure both are excellent, but the one I'm trying out seems similar in a lot of ways to the programme I've used for many years. Just a case of seeking out the right functions etc.

I already have a hosting company: Easily, that I've been with for a long time (I think since 2000), and apart from the now aged original server giving intermittent problems recently, I've had a trouble free time with them.

The server issues seem to have caused the recent updating problem too, and today they assisted with loading the site onto a new Linux platform and getting it working.

My website, like photography, is a necessary evil to me - needed, but not something I am fully conversant with when it comes to the technical aspects and terminology.

I am not at all keen to do any coding ..wouldn't know where to start with it. This past week has only served to cost me a week of productive work time, so the sooner the site got fixed, the better.
With luck, I can now tinker around with the new programme at an easier pace smile

Standard User alext05
(member) Wed 08-Jan-14 18:55:38
Print Post

Okay, the choice is yours. While you are waiting for your site to get fixed, you could give this a try:

http://wordpress.com/

Click Get Started, fill in basic details and you have a website up and running in around 60 seconds or less. No hosting fees, no knowledge of software or coding is required. No pressure.

If you don't like you don't need to use it. Simples.
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Thu 09-Jan-14 00:05:07
Print Post

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

The site was updated and working perfectly by 4pm today smile

Wordpress looks fine, and I may look at it more closely at some point.

Thank you.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to