Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Jan-14 17:38:47
Print Post

Re: re WYSIWYG site builders

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

You can change the path for the install during the install. I can here - I have just ran the installer to check. It's on the third screen, the one after the licence agreement.

BTW, the Windows FTP client is broken which the program uses by default. Instructions for the (easy) fix on the forums.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sun 05-Jan-14 17:49:32
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Thank you - feel happier about downloading it now smile

Re the FTP ..is this the thing where it's necessary to change to 'winsock'? I'd have thought the newest version would have the issue resolved. I'll look out for it, but I'm thinking getting to the publishing it stage may be some way off for me with this.
(I was having a mooch through the forum there earlier and saw how people had encountered the updating problems)

Been a long time since I did the Trellix one, so I'm hoping this will more intuitive and fairly easy (if I can't resolve the current problem) - or I'll end up way behind with my work again.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Jan-14 20:14:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by TrishaH:
Thank you - feel happier about downloading it now smile

Re the FTP ..is this the thing where it's necessary to change to 'winsock'? I'd have thought the newest version would have the issue resolved. I'll look out for it, but I'm thinking getting to the publishing it stage may be some way off for me with this.

The problem is with Windows (IE 11 to be exact) and not WYSIWYG. Even the windows FTP client does not work apparently. The method of publishing does not make the blindest bit of difference that I can see.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Edited by DrTeeth (Sun 05-Jan-14 20:17:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sun 05-Jan-14 22:22:36
Print Post

...and I do have IE11!
I'll have to see if I can find the easy fix you mention. Does it work for you?

Frustrating to find no method of contacting them to ask any questions before starting, and no way to join the forum either without having paid for a license key!

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jan-14 20:16:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by TrishaH:
...and I do have IE11!
I'll have to see if I can find the easy fix you mention. Does it work for you?

Frustrating to find no method of contacting them to ask any questions before starting, and no way to join the forum either without having paid for a license key!

Changing to winsock works perfectly.

Have you found http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/getting_started.html yet? This *may* work [email protected], it was found on a page dealing with recovering serial numbers. The help file is also quite good too.

I am sure that it will not take it too long for you to decide if the product is good for you or not.

The manual can be d/l here http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/download.html.

Support on the forum is very good and the program is updated quite frequently.

Regards

DrT

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Mon 06-Jan-14 22:46:29
Print Post

Ah, thank you - very reassuring. I see the programme I downloaded had 'winsock' showing by default, so perhaps they fixed the programme now.

I did download the manual.
Thank you for the extra info too ..I couldn't find that. The forum does look very helpful.

Last night, I made a start by using a template and eliminating everything on it I don't need in order to make a home page. Once I look up how to make the next page and link to it, I'll try doing that too.

Easily told me today my current site won't update because I'm out of data transfer, so I purchased 5 GB only to see afterward that I now have 7.2, so hadn't run out at all, and It still won't update!

I'll have another try with Easily tomorrow, but I do think it's time I tried making a new site because my current one's programme has been obsolete for some years now and there's no support or manuals available.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jan-14 20:32:07
Print Post

Re: re WYSIWYG site builders *DELETED*

Post deleted by DrTeeth
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jan-14 20:32:19
Print Post

You can see most of the forums but not all. The reason why they brought in the serial number requirement was that so many people were using pirated copies and them coming to the forum for help.
All I can tell you, and I am not a web design maven by any means, it that the software and the support is 110%.

In the interest of balance, you may want to check out http://www.websiterealizer.com/. It is also has a reasonable update frequency, but there tend to be minor compared to WYSIWYG. Support is also good.

Good luck. Happy to help further if I can.

Regards

DrT

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Wed 08-Jan-14 01:50:46
Print Post

Thank you very much for the further information.
I see now why there's a need for the serial number in order to use the forum.

The websiterealizer looks quite good too - thanks. For now I'll stick with this trial download of WYSIWYG and see how I get on. Haven't got any further with it yet ...hopefully soon.
I've only ever made the one website, and that was perhaps 12 years ago or more, and no doubt I'll find this new programme just as baffling in parts.

Easily have been trying to log into my site with FileZilla to view the hosting, and couldn't, so gave me a new password and are getting the systems team to check the hosting - hopefully, they can sort it out and I can take my time building a new site.

Thank you for being so helpful.

Standard User alext05
(member) Wed 08-Jan-14 13:52:26
Print Post

Two people have sensibly suggested to use a free open source CMS (Joomla, Wordpress) to build your new website instead. Are you interested in this, and if not why not? It's not hard to use them and most hosts will support them by default and even provide one click installations.

With Wordpress, you can even have you site up and running in a matter of minutes, if hosted on their servers, and you can simply pay a small annual fee to map your existing domain to that site which will initially have yoursitename.wordpress.com domain name.

If you are so keen on coding things yourself, they will give you an opportunity to do so by either customising modules and templates or creating your own ones.

What they also give on top of that is a very flexible attractive modern framework that can be extended to do many things by using third party extensions.

Additionally, they have many free responsive design templates that can automatically scale down to be displayed well on any device, be it a tablet or a smart phone.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to