Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Thu 17-Dec-20 19:13:26
Print Post

Forum software phpBB, SMF, vBulletin or other?

[link to this post]

Used to mod a forum (since closed) and am looking to set up my own covering similar subject matter.

The forum used to use vBulletin but can see it's quite expensive.

I've bought the hosting and domain but looking for something free or cheap that has a good level of permission control and will allow me to put Google ad banners at the top and bottom of the page (would be good if it just made enough so the hosting became effectively free)

Any thoughts/opinions?

Hosting supports mySQL and php.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU =>> ZeN FTTP (100 Mbps down, 18 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 7530

Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 17-Dec-20 23:02:31
Print Post

Re: Forum software phpBB, SMF, vBulletin or other?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

phpBB ?

I used to use XAMPP for local mirror of online wordpress / php site. Not sure if it will work with forum software, but guessing it will. Handy for testing locally before going live.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Dec-20 11:57:28
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Not directly related to which type of software but very relevant if you want to run a fourm; you must comply with the requirements of the GDPR.

See Answers to Common Questions About GDPR & Community Forums

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Dec-20 15:10:45
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Things might have changed considering recent events

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Dec-20 01:28:01
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
Things might have changed considering recent events

Nothing has changed yet. Deal has been agreed but not signed. We're still in the transition period.

GDPR will remain after brexit is complete.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-personal-data-in-y...

Data protection and GDPR
During the transition period, there has been no change to the UK’s data protection standards. EU data protection laws, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), have continued to apply throughout the transition period alongside the Data Protection Act 2018. The Information Commissioner remains the UK’s independent supervisory authority on data protection.

After the end of the transition period, GDPR will be retained in UK law and will continue to be read alongside the Data Protection Act 2018, with technical amendments to ensure it can function in UK law. The UK remains committed to high data protection standards.
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Tue 29-Dec-20 22:08:10
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Thanks for all replies.

Yeah was thinking about the cookie consent actually Sarah, funny you should mention it.

Didn't really want to have to implement one of those annoying bars I see everywhere.

I do agree with GDPR and yes I'm a remainer.

Think am probably going to go with Simple Machines Forum and see what add-ons I can put on to deal with this stuff.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU =>> ZeN FTTP (100 Mbps down, 18 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 7530

Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
  Print Thread

Jump to