I have been a lurker in the forums for years but here is my first post!
I am looking to change ISP. I have been with aol uk for four years and I do not think I need to say anything about their customer service. However, in the last few months they have moved me over to LLU without telling me as TT now have equipment in the exchange and they have also cut my speed. Before I was getting around 1mb fairly consistently but now most of the time it seems to be at 0.5 (although it went back up to 0.9 on Friday.
aol have told me:
1. My line cannot support any more than 0.5. I offer them four years of tt speedtests and they tell me the line cannot do more than 0.5.
2. When I tell them my upload speed is higher thanmy d/l speed they are inimpressed and say the line......
3. I ask for my MAC code and they offer me a guaranteed 3.5mb in return for more money and an 18 month contract.
I am waiting for my mac code and currently looking at Eclipse and Vivaciti.
1. According to routerstats my d/l attenuation is 43db which according ti Kitz should give me about 7mb on LLU. How reliable is Kitz?
2. Eclipse (like most ISP's) say 2mb on non LLU. TT say 2.5 and Vivaciti say 2.7 but were quite happy with the kitz result and if it was higher then ok.
3. Should I consider LLU?
4. What is th actual impact of Vivaciti's throttling? They say "For the home 100 and surfwise variety there is a lower traffic priority during normal office hours (between 8am – 7:30pm weekdays) for peer to peer and newsgroup traffic (this includes video streaming), all other times are unaffected. " I could live with some prioritisation but not if they are virtually going to close off usenet! I use p2p rarely.
8. If I go to Vivaciti shold I move my phoneline to them to. If so why and if not why not?
Many thanks for your input.
I will post my line stats shortly.