General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alwall
(member) Thu 31-Mar-11 07:29:08
Print Post

Re: Rural Broadband - The Land that BT Forgot!

[re: wildgoose1uk] [link to this post]

I've looked and looked, but can't see a socket fed by the solid white wire. They all look white with a blue stripe to me. Can you clarify, using the "F" number ?

BTBroadband
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Mar-11 10:31:32
Print Post

[re: alwall] [link to this post]

The gray cable coming into the house, has blue a solid blue wire, and a white with blue stripe http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5573979477... shows the stripe on the white wire.

The key is finding out which socket these two wires from outside go to on the inside and then fitting an appropriate socket there, and then wiring the extensions from this.

The original poster is close enough that if willing to accept a visitor on Saturday I can visit and see if we can figure this out, and then get you to order the appropriate bits to sort everything out. In the hope it does fix the speed issues.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alwall
(member) Thu 31-Mar-11 11:13:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The gray cable coming into the house, has blue a solid blue wire, and a white with blue stripe http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5573979477... shows the stripe on the white wire.

The key is finding out which socket these two wires from outside go to on the inside and then fitting an appropriate socket there, and then wiring the extensions from this.

The original poster is close enough that if willing to accept a visitor on Saturday I can visit and see if we can figure this out, and then get you to order the appropriate bits to sort everything out. In the hope it does fix the speed issues.

That's brilliant Andrew wink

BTBroadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 31-Mar-11 11:17:23
Print Post

[re: alwall] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alwall:
That's brilliant Andrew wink
And extremely generous.

I wonder whether it qualifies for tea and biscuits, perhaps even fig biscuits, or whether it would warrant chocolate cake?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User alwall
(member) Thu 31-Mar-11 11:42:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Caramel choccie digestives even!

BTBroadband
Standard User wildgoose1uk
(learned) Thu 31-Mar-11 14:22:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

Andrew.... That would be brilliant. But sadly and somewhat unbelievably some toerag has stolen the copper cable leaving half the village without phone and internet!!! I have heard that this should be fixed by Monday but I am assuming that it will be difficult to fix my problems without phone/internet.......

Am I right?

Cheers

WG..... sititng in the village library with its solitary computer.......
Standard User RSTSGeek
(learned) Thu 31-Mar-11 14:36:24
Print Post

Telephone lines are being stolen, now ?

- Alex
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Mar-11 15:01:09
Print Post

if your phone works then you aren't affected by the theft, and thus no problem fixing this.

The wiring could be resolved without the line actually working, but it would be better to do it when it is working so that any work can be tested before leaving.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wildgoose1uk
(learned) Thu 31-Mar-11 15:08:57
Print Post

Nothing works at the moment. BT are just saying the std 3 working days at the moment so unlikely to be sorted before the weekend.

Still, at least the scroats were caught!

If you would prefer to leave it till the line is fixed that is fine. I am just very grateful for the offer and will have tea and biccies on tap smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Mar-11 15:13:42
Print Post

Once everything is sorted out then email me [email protected] and include a link back to this thread to jog my memory.

Will have a rummage and see what old socketry I have lying around too, usually a few little bits and pieces

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to