General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Mar-11 21:22:21
Print Post

Re: Rural Broadband - The Land that BT Forgot!

[re: wildgoose1uk] [link to this post]

Do you have a maplins near you?
I'm looking at this and I think if it was me I would like to find the socket you identified as the first on, not the colour wires coming into the house, remove the ext wires and just re-connect the 2 wires to t2 and t5 and take a look at the stats, this should give you a clean feed with all the other ext's removed. if it gives you the speed you expect then get a filtered face plate (I think ADSL nation do one that can fit a flush back box, others on here might tell you for sure)
Have you done a quiet line test on your phone?

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User alwall
(member) Tue 29-Mar-11 08:46:23
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vivaciti:
Do you have a maplins near you?
I'm looking at this and I think if it was me I would like to find the socket you identified as the first on, not the colour wires coming into the house, remove the ext wires and just re-connect the 2 wires to t2 and t5 and take a look at the stats, this should give you a clean feed with all the other ext's removed. if it gives you the speed you expect then get a filtered face plate (I think ADSL nation do one that can fit a flush back box, others on here might tell you for sure)
Have you done a quiet line test on your phone?

Vivaciti.
We are attempting to ascertain where the incoming BT line is connected, so the colour of the pairs is important.
AFAIK no socket has yet been identified as the "first on" (sic). What has been established is that a master socket (MK Logic Plus) has cable with solid colours connected despite there apparently being BT colour coded pairs elsewhere on the internal wiring. Only when the wiring inconsistencies are sorted out is it worth looking at improved filtering.
Perhaps wildgoose1uk could comment whether my summary is correct.

BTBroadband

Edited by alwall (Tue 29-Mar-11 09:36:22)

Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Mar-11 10:45:38
Print Post

[re: alwall] [link to this post]

Looking at the pics that were posted this shows an external master then standard wires coming into the house from that to the first socket.
The EN will be able to see where the wires come into the house from the third picture just go to the other side of the wall and follow it from there to the first socket you come to.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alwall
(member) Tue 29-Mar-11 12:04:53
Print Post

No sign of an external NTE in any of those three pictures at http://flic.kr/p/9tKXuQ. I believe it's the replacement for the BT66 junction box
But I do agree if the master shown really is the 1st socket , then disconnecting all but the incoming pair (although I still query whether this is the builder's wiring rather than the dropwire) and retesting the router stats may give us some useful info.
I have to admit that, from the colours used, I'm wondering if drop wire cable has been used for some of the internal wiring!

BTBroadband
Standard User wildgoose1uk
(newbie) Tue 29-Mar-11 12:05:42
Print Post

I have traced the wiring from the external grey BT Box into the garage and directly up to the first floor which is the pix of the socket I posted.

I went into Maplins today but they wanted £6.50 for the plastic tool (I need it to fix the wire I accidentially took out!) so chose to order one from Amazon for £0.95! I will need to wait a few days but I really just could not bring myself to spend £6.50 on something that looks like it came from an airfix kit.

Today I have received my mac code from aol!!,,,,, Hurrah!!!! Are we in a position to know whether LLU or non LLU would be the better connection for me? Would I get an increase in speed? Is my wiring shot? What about the landline? Should I shift that from BT? Need to do something as the calls are with aol.

Cheers!

wg
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Mar-11 12:10:56
Print Post

I would hold fast on changing provider just yet, I come from an old school of diagnostic, only change one thing at a time, if you migrate and muck about with the wiring you wont know what fixed it (although I have a couple of quid on the issue being your wiring)
If you get the wiring sorted then LLU would see a better speed for you, if not then ADSL MAX (although you can still have LLU but with an ADSL1 profile so you miss out the DLM)

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User alwall
(member) Tue 29-Mar-11 12:28:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by vivaciti:
I would hold fast on changing provider just yet, I come from an old school of diagnostic, only change one thing at a time, if you migrate and muck about with the wiring you wont know what fixed it (although I have a couple of quid on the issue being your wiring)
If you get the wiring sorted then LLU would see a better speed for you, if not then ADSL MAX (although you can still have LLU but with an ADSL1 profile so you miss out the DLM)

I'll put a tenner on it being the wiring smile

wildgoose1uk, a quick peek inside the BT external junction box might be interesting, but just look at/photograph the wiring don't touch! At least that'll confirm the colours being used for the incoming pair and ensure that the housebuilder/electrician has done the job correctly.

BTBroadband
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Mar-11 12:30:15
Print Post

I would get the landline back to BT unless it is very important to you not to. Move it away again if you wish at the the 12 month period.

As vivaviti says, just hang onto the MAC for a bit and try and see if you can get the wiring sorted.

LLU is in general better than non-LLU simply because it gets you away from the BT DLM, (IP Profiling and aggressive margin management). Whatever the speed, and it is highly unlikely to be lower on LLU even if it isn't a lot higher.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Mar-11 12:57:04
Print Post

Hi, I say the picture has a telephone extension socket, itís not the master socket.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5564976044/

http://www.britishtelephones.com/wiring/socketwiring...

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User alwall
(member) Tue 29-Mar-11 14:09:26
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

It's a master according to the MK Logic Plus datasheet http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/MK/...

BTBroadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to