General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wildgoose1uk
(newbie) Wed 30-Mar-11 11:05:19
Print Post

Re: Rural Broadband - The Land that BT Forgot!

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The original one was a Netgear DG834Gv3 and the new one is a BT Homehub 2wire that I got off Ebay to see if it would give me a higher speed. It didn't so Ikept it in the cupboard as a spare...... perhaps fortunately!!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 30-Mar-11 11:06:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm not sure these modes can be auto-negotiated by the router, they may have to be set at the DSLAM. Someone else had a similar problem the other day. I think it tends to restrict the sync speed that can be attained.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
(newbie) Wed 30-Mar-11 11:08:28
Print Post

[re: wildgoose1uk] [link to this post]

Stats have fluctuated without reboot to:

DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT2+ Annex A
Downstream Rate: 585 kbps
Upstream Rate: 910 kbps
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 12.2 dB (Downstream) 12.9 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 51.5 dB (Downstream) 25.8 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 13.3 dBm (Downstream) 12.0 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {BDCM} Specific: {0x8A1}
PVC Info: 0/38

d/s attenuation now 51.5...... not the way I wanted it to go!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 30-Mar-11 11:14:23
Print Post

Must have resynced though.
Very strange.

Have you found the master socket yet?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User alwall
(member) Wed 30-Mar-11 11:18:46
Print Post

From the colour coding It looks as though data network cable has been used. That's fine (I use it myself for extensions) but it's still hard to tell which is the incoming pair from the BT junction box.
Once you've traced it through, try what I suggested in http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/which_isp/t/3986939... but with the "new" router.

BTBroadband
(newbie) Wed 30-Mar-11 11:28:10
Print Post

seems to have stabilised at 51.5db. Is the ratio looking ok?

Any thought on the master socket and wiring situation in the pics?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 30-Mar-11 11:29:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by wildgoose1uk:
seems to have stabilised at 51.5db. Is the ratio looking ok?

Any thought on the master socket and wiring situation in the pics?
Yes the ratio looks OK.

That isn't the master socket.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Mar-11 11:43:24
Print Post

None of the pictures show a master socket - why?

A master socket should have something connected to terminal points A and B, and then an extension (or more than one extension) running of of different pins 2 and 5 (maybe with an orange on pin 3).

The key is seeing what is under the cover at http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5565147764...

From what one can see it looks like a grey cable enters the property, and this goes to a socket, which also has an extension running off the same IDC terminals to the extensions, i.e. you have a daisy chain configuration, with no actual master socket.

Whether this is causing you problems impossible to say without removing the daisy chain and just testing with minimal wiring present. The Annex L is unusual and not sure it is approved for UK use or not - so rare to see it, first time I've seen it.

I would recommend finding a router among your collection that lets you force the various ADSL modes and find a G992.1 Annex A ADSL over Pots mode.

Also if it were my property and in this state, I would be getting an NTE5 master socket and fitting it and tidying up the wiring too.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 30-Mar-11 11:51:34
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Are none of those photos showing the master socket? I have added another 4 photos showing the external wires.

I have uploaded photos of 4 sockets. If none of these are master sockets then there is one more downstairs which I had discounted due to it being probably the furthest away from where the wire comes in. It is also quite awkward to get at but not impossible.

If none of the four posted armaster sockets I can get in to it though.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Mar-11 11:56:10
Print Post

Nice new pictures but alas the detail is missing, i.e. which wires on the grey cable connect to the black BT cable

No master sockets as I posted earlier.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to