General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User willsweet2
(regular) Fri 17-Feb-12 17:52:38
Print Post

Re: Which ISP or Reseller?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
So it looks like the best option for the OP could also be BT.

Yeah but the only reason I can't use TT is my dad, the man of the house doesn't bode to well with there telephone support.

25ms Ping. No Jitter. No Packet Loss.

Perfect for Xbox LIVE.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 17-Feb-12 18:21:27
Print Post

[re: LoWLatencY] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by LoWLatencY:
Hi everyone,

I am an avid gamer and currently subscribed to Virgin Media's 50mb cable service which for the most part is great for downloading, but horrendous for Xbox Live and multiplayer gaming in general. I have just had a Bt line installed, so that I can move away from Virgin and pick an ADSL2+ ISP. I am a stones throw from my local exchange which is Kemptown in Brighton . I was going to join BE but am told by their sales team that my exchange is at capacity for their service, and so they are unable to provide me. So I am looking for a new isp that can provide an upto 24mb adsl2+, preferably unlimited and also with no traffic shaping, port blocking or throttling. I would have liked to try BE even if through a reseller. I have been looking at Vivaciti and Xilo but am not too clear about which supplier you end up with depending on which package you choose, if i'm making any sense? For example Murphx or Enta, C&W etc..

Could anyone possibly help me? Maybe you can make some suggestions, or perhaps you are with one of the isp's I mentioned and can give some feedback on your experience of their service.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer smile

Resellers: if they offer BE wholesale packages then they are the best to go for if you are a avid gamer, but probably one of the most important things for low latency is FASTPATH , and then Peering/routing Be retail Peering is very poor,they are frequently having network /peering related issues, and it takes them way too long to actually resolve them properly,same would apply to o2, and they won't offer fastpath
Xilo/uno broadband would be my 1st choice of re seller, based mainly on their reputation on the web in general, they also seem transparent with things like peering ect,
Vivaciti: Don't here much about them, their be wholesale products offer free migration so no activation fee's
both operate a 1 month min term, so no tie in's both also use peering/routing and possibly backhaul too which are independent to BE retail's
So unless the equipment at your exchange developed a serious fault, or was down for maintenance then you would not share any issues with be /o2retail customers
there are a few other resellers but they tend to be more expensive or have usage caps , in particular if you wanted the Annex M PRO product which offers upto 2.5mbits upload, Though apart from it being faster on lines that are good/short enough, it is old tech now, and IMO i don't think that the price hike is justified really
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 17-Feb-12 18:24:03
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

C & W No fastpath options available higher than average target margins, and they also have a lot of routing issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 20:43:02
Print Post

[re: willsweet2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by willsweet2:
Welcome to the forums smile

I know a lot of peeps will disagree with this idea but, TalkTalk! blush

The TalkTalk connections are very good for gaming overall and the LLU service provides speeds of up to 24meg.

Another thing is they only shape illegal P2P torrent traffic on their Plus package, so it's good for everything else such as gaming http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/broadband/plus

The only thing TalkTalk know-it-alls complain about is their customer services by phone, however the service from the official TalkTalk Members Forum is of BE pedigree.

See what they estimate your speed as by entering your number and post code at http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/broadband/plus

Thanks and get back to me soon laugh

Thanks for the welcome smile; I was hoping no one was going to suggest TalkTalk lol. You are quite right however regarding the ping times, I myself have seen evidence of very low 20's from some talktalk customers posting up their tracerts and ping responses to bbc.co.uk etc.. If i'm to be honest I am very put off TalkTalk, mainly because of all the bad reviews and feedback regarding customer service and technical support. Something I should have mentioned in my original post was that I am looking for a monthly rolling contract preferably or no more than quarterly. I really appreciate your help though so thank you very much for the suggestion, perhaps TalkTalk wholesale through a reseller might be worth considering?! I will run my number through TalkTalk's availability checker anyway and post back the results. I only had my line installed 2 days ago and so BT Wholesale checker is going crazy at the moment when checking my line, can't seem to decide on my line speed as the line is still to settle down I guess?
Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 20:45:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Pity about the OP's 12-month (at least) phone rental contract with BT.

Incidentally, how do TT distinguish between legal and illegal P2P traffic? DPI?

I know RobertoS, unfortunately it's 18 months! frown I just can't bear Virgin Media any longer as an isp.
Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 21:15:06
Print Post

Resellers: if they offer BE wholesale packages then they are the best to go for if you are a avid gamer, but probably one of the most important things for low latency is FASTPATH , and then Peering/routing Be retail Peering is very poor,they are frequently having network /peering related issues, and it takes them way too long to actually resolve them properly,same would apply to o2, and they won't offer fastpath
Xilo/uno broadband would be my 1st choice of re seller, based mainly on their reputation on the web in general, they also seem transparent with things like peering ect,
Vivaciti: Don't here much about them, their be wholesale products offer free migration so no activation fee's
both operate a 1 month min term, so no tie in's both also use peering/routing and possibly backhaul too which are independent to BE retail's
So unless the equipment at your exchange developed a serious fault, or was down for maintenance then you would not share any issues with be /o2retail customers
there are a few other resellers but they tend to be more expensive or have usage caps , in particular if you wanted the Annex M PRO product which offers upto 2.5mbits upload, Though apart from it being faster on lines that are good/short enough, it is old tech now, and IMO i don't think that the price hike is justified really

I totally agree. I have been looking at Xilo's offerings as I have read so many excellent reviews about the service they provide aswell as the technical knowledge and expertise of their support staff. I understand they offer Be wholesale aswell as C&W and quite possibly a few others perhaps. I was quite interested in their Pro 16 Home package, although only offering upto 16mb, the service is unmetered with no throttling, traffic shaping or port blocking. I wonder if they could offer me this service through Be wholesale? I may contact Xilo and enquire with them. Vivacity can offer me an upto 24mb service, totally unmetered without throttling, shaping etc.. however I believe this is via C&W of whom I am abit sceptical about. If there are any ISP's reading who may be able to meet my requirements please do drop me a post into this thread.
Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 21:28:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
C & W No fastpath options available higher than average target margins, and they also have a lot of routing issues

Just as I suspected. Exactly why i'd prefer to try and find a package provided via Be wholesale or perhaps Murphx, possibly even Enta.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 17-Feb-12 21:35:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by LoWLatencY:
Just as I suspected. Exactly why i'd prefer to try and find a package provided via Be wholesale or perhaps Murphx, possibly even Enta.
Give IDNet a call. It's not mentioned on their main site, but they can provide services via Telefonica:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,27...

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 17-Feb-12 21:58:49
Print Post

Have you checked samknows web site,?Exchange checker the bt adsl checker should give you the details of which exchange you are connected to , if it says be/o2 are available then you can also get the wholesale offerings, if it don't then you can't
Most of the speed checkers are inaccurate at the best of times they will nearly always give a result that is lower than your line can achieve, most rely on the same information that the BT wholesale data base gives,
As for inputting your number in to the talk talk speed checker............ You have just opened Pandora's box for unsolicited /unwanted telephone calls from there over zealous sales call centre staff they will be in touch soon giving you the hard sell,lol

On the xilo web site if you enter your number into their availability checker the be packages are displayed as
Be 16 Be 24 Be 24 Advanced (be 16 is upto 16mbit ) the other two are not capped at a 16mbit max sync rate Advanced is the Annex M product

Xilo Adsl checker

BT.Checker
Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 22:44:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Have you checked samknows web site,?Exchange checker the bt adsl checker should give you the details of which exchange you are connected to , if it says be/o2 are available then you can also get the wholesale offerings, if it don't then you can't
Most of the speed checkers are inaccurate at the best of times they will nearly always give a result that is lower than your line can achieve, most rely on the same information that the BT wholesale data base gives,
As for inputting your number in to the talk talk speed checker............ You have just opened Pandora's box for unsolicited /unwanted telephone calls from there over zealous sales call centre staff they will be in touch soon giving you the hard sell,lol

On the xilo web site if you enter your number into their availability checker the be packages are displayed as
Be 16 Be 24 Be 24 Advanced (be 16 is upto 16mbit ) the other two are not capped at a 16mbit max sync rate Advanced is the Annex M product

Xilo Adsl checker

BT.Checker

Luckily i've not yet opened pandoras box, so thank you for sharing that! Lol. I have run my number through the Xilo availability checker again and it's saying Pro 16 Home, Pro 16 Office and Pro 24 75GB, so unfortunately no indication of who these packages are provided by, unless of course via Xilo themselves?
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to