General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 17-Feb-12 23:05:44
Print Post

Re: Which ISP or Reseller?

[re: LoWLatencY] [link to this post]

Nearly everyone on about Be resellers seems to be ignoring what you said in your opening post, "I was going to join BE but am told by their sales team that my exchange is at capacity for their service". That usually means no spare ports, and I doubt if they reserve some for possible reseller use so have them sitting doing nothing while they turn away direct customers.

Vivaciti can offer SMPF via TalkTalk MSANs, I believe with their own backhaul. (SMPF means you can get LLU broadband on your BT Retail line). I think, but I'm not sure, they can also adjust the target noise margin to some extent. It can get expensive though if you regularly want over 100GB and want the busy time throttling removed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 18-Feb-12 00:36:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by LoWLatencY:
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Have you checked samknows web site,?Exchange checker the bt adsl checker should give you the details of which exchange you are connected to , if it says be/o2 are available then you can also get the wholesale offerings, if it don't then you can't
Most of the speed checkers are inaccurate at the best of times they will nearly always give a result that is lower than your line can achieve, most rely on the same information that the BT wholesale data base gives,
As for inputting your number in to the talk talk speed checker............ You have just opened Pandora's box for unsolicited /unwanted telephone calls from there over zealous sales call centre staff they will be in touch soon giving you the hard sell,lol

On the xilo web site if you enter your number into their availability checker the be packages are displayed as
Be 16 Be 24 Be 24 Advanced (be 16 is upto 16mbit ) the other two are not capped at a 16mbit max sync rate Advanced is the Annex M product

Xilo Adsl checker

BT.Checker

Luckily i've not yet opened pandoras box, so thank you for sharing that! Lol. I have run my number through the Xilo availability checker again and it's saying Pro 16 Home, Pro 16 Office and Pro 24 75GB, so unfortunately no indication of who these packages are provided by, unless of course via Xilo themselves?

The pro 24 (75gb usage cap) is what used to be tiscali wholesale LLU (now Talk Talk) but ADSL only
the other two as far as i am aware are C&W
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Feb-12 00:47:46
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The pro 24 (75gb usage cap) is what used to be tiscali wholesale LLU (now Talk Talk) but ADSL only
The other two are C & W, as you say, but the phone number checker also gives Be packages. Note that the "Up to"s are product spec, the Be ones are what the estimator says. (see the footnote to the table, and that prices ar ex vat).

What do you mean about the ex-Tiscali one being only ADSL? It is presumably now TalkTalk Business Wholesale and ADSL2+ just like it was on Tiscali LLU.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 18-Feb-12 01:01:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 18-Feb-12 04:27:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The other two are C & W, as you say, but the phone number checker also gives Be packages. Note that the "Up to"s are product spec, the Be ones are what the estimator says. (see the footnote to the table, and that prices ar ex vat).

What do you mean about the ex-Tiscali one being only ADSL? It is presumably now TalkTalk Business Wholesale and ADSL2+ just like it was on Tiscali LLU.
ADSL only = smpf or broadband only ,and i am aware of what the checker displays the op asked which was the best package /product for them, as a avid gamer, that means where possible , fastpath to be available , then peering in particular if the servers are not within the uk , and presumably they would also want an unmetered connection, so be wholesale would best suite, but if there is no capacity, then maybe this isn't an option, As for allocated ports, they could be shared between retail /wholesale or possibly reserved by some resellers, who knows for sure how they do it
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Feb-12 09:35:23
Print Post

ADSL only = smpf or broadband only
Only in your book tongue. But OK, now I know what you mean. That is an unfortunate way of putting it, as "ADSL" is a protocol with a maximum connection speed of 8Mbps. If you had said SMPF or broadband only in the first place then it would have been clear what you meant, though for people such as the OP it would have been better still to say something like "your line stays with your existing provider". (Which in itself isn't necessarily true by the way - it depends if your line provider allows it).

You further confuse the issue as you don't say that about the C & W products. So the OP and anyone else who doesn't already know has a right to think the C & W products take over the line as well. Which isn't the case.

Are all the Anonymous posts yours anyway? I get the feeling there are at least two Anons, so have to assume it was you that said that.
they would also want an unmetered connection, so be wholesale would best suite, but if there is no capacity, then maybe this isn't an option
Would seem a dead cert!
As for allocated ports, they could be shared between retail /wholesale or possibly reserved by some resellers, who knows for sure how they do it
Want to bet a week's wages that they don't reserve any ports for wholesale/resellers? It wouldn't work financially for them to do that.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 18-Feb-12 09:37:01)

Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Sat 18-Feb-12 16:04:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Nearly everyone on about Be resellers seems to be ignoring what you said in your opening post, "I was going to join BE but am told by their sales team that my exchange is at capacity for their service". That usually means no spare ports, and I doubt if they reserve some for possible reseller use so have them sitting doing nothing while they turn away direct customers.

Vivaciti can offer SMPF via TalkTalk MSANs, I believe with their own backhaul. (SMPF means you can get LLU broadband on your BT Retail line). I think, but I'm not sure, they can also adjust the target noise margin to some extent. It can get expensive though if you regularly want over 100GB and want the busy time throttling removed.

I see what you mean RobertoS. It stands to reason that if my exchange is at capacity for Be Retail then this will in all likelyhood be the case for Be wholesale aswell?

Seems I am somewhat limited in choice if am to be picky. I would rather steer clear of TalTalk if I can possibly help it, due to all of the horror stories i'm reading. I did peruse their forums a little earlier to look at some of the technical issue threads, forum support seems very good. I think I may have narrowed down my choices to Aquiss, Vivaciti, Xilo. All 3 offer an LLU Unlimited package which seems to offer exactly what i'm looking for, however unfortunately seems that all 3 of said resellers deliver the service via C&W. Perhaps C&W are ok and i'm worrying about nothing? Does anyone have any recent tracerts or ping results from C&W?

Many thanks for all of your input so far everyone! Really very much appreciate all of the help and suggestions smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Feb-12 17:06:52
Print Post

You may not be quite clear about what I'm saying about the TalkTalk from vivaciti. It isn't at all affected by the TalkTalk service itself, nor their support. It only uses their DSLAM.

The vivaciti Be connection is the same. It goes from you to the Be DSLAM in the exchange, then off into vivaciti's own backhaul provision.

I don't think any of them have any control over the C & W target noise margin, which IIRC is 9dB. I may be wrong there. On the TT DSLAM I think it can be as low as 6dB. On (the unavailable) Be I think both have a high degree of control of noise margin and interleaving.

I'm not sure of the detail of Aquiss offerings at the moment, but have no criticism to make.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 18-Feb-12 18:02:12)

Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Feb-12 20:00:03
Print Post

If you went with Vivaciti or Xilo, you could always move to one of the BE Wholesale products when capacity becomes available

Be* Unlimited
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 18-Feb-12 20:12:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by LoWLatencY:

I see what you mean RobertoS. It stands to reason that if my exchange is at capacity for Be Retail then this will in all likelyhood be the case for Be wholesale aswell?

Seems I am somewhat limited in choice if am to be picky. I would rather steer clear of TalTalk if I can possibly help it, due to all of the horror stories i'm reading. I did peruse their forums a little earlier to look at some of the technical issue threads, forum support seems very good. I think I may have narrowed down my choices to Aquiss, Vivaciti, Xilo. All 3 offer an LLU Unlimited package which seems to offer exactly what i'm looking for, however unfortunately seems that all 3 of said resellers deliver the service via C&W. Perhaps C&W are ok and i'm worrying about nothing? Does anyone have any recent tracerts or ping results from C&W?

Many thanks for all of your input so far everyone! Really very much appreciate all of the help and suggestions smile
no tracerts but they are unlikely to be the lowest in latency as they do NOT switch interleave OFF they also may manage/shape throttle some protocols
check out the vivaciti forums
or here for more info Isp Review
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Feb-12 22:10:35
Print Post

C & W No fastpath options available higher than average target margins, and they also have a lot of routing issues

A mate of mine is on the C&W network and is a big games player, mainly on P.C, but also on the PS3 and yet have no problem with C&W.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to