General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 15:21:23
Print Post

Which ISP or Reseller?

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

I am an avid gamer and currently subscribed to Virgin Media's 50mb cable service which for the most part is great for downloading, but horrendous for Xbox Live and multiplayer gaming in general. I have just had a Bt line installed, so that I can move away from Virgin and pick an ADSL2+ ISP. I am a stones throw from my local exchange which is Kemptown in Brighton . I was going to join BE but am told by their sales team that my exchange is at capacity for their service, and so they are unable to provide me. So I am looking for a new isp that can provide an upto 24mb adsl2+, preferably unlimited and also with no traffic shaping, port blocking or throttling. I would have liked to try BE even if through a reseller. I have been looking at Vivaciti and Xilo but am not too clear about which supplier you end up with depending on which package you choose, if i'm making any sense? For example Murphx or Enta, C&W etc..

Could anyone possibly help me? Maybe you can make some suggestions, or perhaps you are with one of the isp's I mentioned and can give some feedback on your experience of their service.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer smile
Standard User willsweet2
(learned) Fri 17-Feb-12 16:01:12
Print Post

Re: Which ISP or Reseller?

[re: LoWLatencY] [link to this post]

Welcome to the forums smile

I know a lot of peeps will disagree with this idea but, TalkTalk! blush

The TalkTalk connections are very good for gaming overall and the LLU service provides speeds of up to 24meg.

Another thing is they only shape illegal P2P torrent traffic on their Plus package, so it's good for everything else such as gaming http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/broadband/plus

The only thing TalkTalk know-it-alls complain about is their customer services by phone, however the service from the official TalkTalk Members Forum is of BE pedigree.

See what they estimate your speed as by entering your number and post code at http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/broadband/plus

Thanks and get back to me soon laugh

25ms Ping. No Jitter. No Packet Loss.

Perfect for Xbox LIVE.

Edited by willsweet2 (Fri 17-Feb-12 16:02:14)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 17-Feb-12 16:27:25
Print Post

[re: willsweet2] [link to this post]

Pity about the OP's 12-month (at least) phone rental contract with BT.

Incidentally, how do TT distinguish between legal and illegal P2P traffic? DPI?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User willsweet2
(learned) Fri 17-Feb-12 16:29:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I was generalizing and simplifying with the theory that torrents are usually used for illegal means.

Edit: He didn't mention the contract, but I suppose he probably does have one

Perfect for Xbox LIVE.

Edited by willsweet2 (Fri 17-Feb-12 16:34:35)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Fri 17-Feb-12 17:03:41
Print Post

I'll just echo what willsweet has said: TalkTalk's phone support may be the devil's spawn, however their actual LLU service is superb....line speeds 24/7, great pings (i get around 15-20 ms on fastpath), great for watching video (i stream from Netflix USA and its just like watching a DVD) and their forum support is pretty good. I'd rather pour bleach in my eyes than go back to a BT based ADSL1 service again.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18015/1019 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 17-Feb-12 17:10:30
Print Post

Time to update your Bio?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User willsweet2
(learned) Fri 17-Feb-12 17:16:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Time to update your Bio?

Why?

Perfect for Xbox LIVE.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 17-Feb-12 17:42:12
Print Post

Perfect for Xbox LIVE.
Does that refer to you on TT?

Standard User willsweet2
(learned) Fri 17-Feb-12 17:46:48
Print Post

Perfect for Xbox LIVE.
Does that refer to you on TT?

No I'm on BT that's what it refers to. The reason I'm saying TalkTalk is because all my
Mates give or take a few are with them and all they do is game. And when I visit them I'm usually quite impressed with the minimal lag and good download speeds they get.

Perfect for Xbox LIVE.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 17-Feb-12 17:50:42
Print Post

So it looks like the best option for the OP could also be BT.

Standard User willsweet2
(regular) Fri 17-Feb-12 17:52:38
Print Post

So it looks like the best option for the OP could also be BT.

Yeah but the only reason I can't use TT is my dad, the man of the house doesn't bode to well with there telephone support.

Perfect for Xbox LIVE.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 17-Feb-12 18:21:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by LoWLatencY:
Hi everyone,

I am an avid gamer and currently subscribed to Virgin Media's 50mb cable service which for the most part is great for downloading, but horrendous for Xbox Live and multiplayer gaming in general. I have just had a Bt line installed, so that I can move away from Virgin and pick an ADSL2+ ISP. I am a stones throw from my local exchange which is Kemptown in Brighton . I was going to join BE but am told by their sales team that my exchange is at capacity for their service, and so they are unable to provide me. So I am looking for a new isp that can provide an upto 24mb adsl2+, preferably unlimited and also with no traffic shaping, port blocking or throttling. I would have liked to try BE even if through a reseller. I have been looking at Vivaciti and Xilo but am not too clear about which supplier you end up with depending on which package you choose, if i'm making any sense? For example Murphx or Enta, C&W etc..

Could anyone possibly help me? Maybe you can make some suggestions, or perhaps you are with one of the isp's I mentioned and can give some feedback on your experience of their service.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer smile

Resellers: if they offer BE wholesale packages then they are the best to go for if you are a avid gamer, but probably one of the most important things for low latency is FASTPATH , and then Peering/routing Be retail Peering is very poor,they are frequently having network /peering related issues, and it takes them way too long to actually resolve them properly,same would apply to o2, and they won't offer fastpath
Xilo/uno broadband would be my 1st choice of re seller, based mainly on their reputation on the web in general, they also seem transparent with things like peering ect,
Vivaciti: Don't here much about them, their be wholesale products offer free migration so no activation fee's
both operate a 1 month min term, so no tie in's both also use peering/routing and possibly backhaul too which are independent to BE retail's
So unless the equipment at your exchange developed a serious fault, or was down for maintenance then you would not share any issues with be /o2retail customers
there are a few other resellers but they tend to be more expensive or have usage caps , in particular if you wanted the Annex M PRO product which offers upto 2.5mbits upload, Though apart from it being faster on lines that are good/short enough, it is old tech now, and IMO i don't think that the price hike is justified really
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 17-Feb-12 18:24:03
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

C & W No fastpath options available higher than average target margins, and they also have a lot of routing issues
Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 20:43:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by willsweet2:
Welcome to the forums smile

I know a lot of peeps will disagree with this idea but, TalkTalk! blush

The TalkTalk connections are very good for gaming overall and the LLU service provides speeds of up to 24meg.

Another thing is they only shape illegal P2P torrent traffic on their Plus package, so it's good for everything else such as gaming http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/broadband/plus

The only thing TalkTalk know-it-alls complain about is their customer services by phone, however the service from the official TalkTalk Members Forum is of BE pedigree.

See what they estimate your speed as by entering your number and post code at http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/broadband/plus

Thanks and get back to me soon laugh

Thanks for the welcome smile; I was hoping no one was going to suggest TalkTalk lol. You are quite right however regarding the ping times, I myself have seen evidence of very low 20's from some talktalk customers posting up their tracerts and ping responses to bbc.co.uk etc.. If i'm to be honest I am very put off TalkTalk, mainly because of all the bad reviews and feedback regarding customer service and technical support. Something I should have mentioned in my original post was that I am looking for a monthly rolling contract preferably or no more than quarterly. I really appreciate your help though so thank you very much for the suggestion, perhaps TalkTalk wholesale through a reseller might be worth considering?! I will run my number through TalkTalk's availability checker anyway and post back the results. I only had my line installed 2 days ago and so BT Wholesale checker is going crazy at the moment when checking my line, can't seem to decide on my line speed as the line is still to settle down I guess?
Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 20:45:26
Print Post

Pity about the OP's 12-month (at least) phone rental contract with BT.

Incidentally, how do TT distinguish between legal and illegal P2P traffic? DPI?

I know RobertoS, unfortunately it's 18 months! frown I just can't bear Virgin Media any longer as an isp.
Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 21:15:06
Print Post

Resellers: if they offer BE wholesale packages then they are the best to go for if you are a avid gamer, but probably one of the most important things for low latency is FASTPATH , and then Peering/routing Be retail Peering is very poor,they are frequently having network /peering related issues, and it takes them way too long to actually resolve them properly,same would apply to o2, and they won't offer fastpath
Xilo/uno broadband would be my 1st choice of re seller, based mainly on their reputation on the web in general, they also seem transparent with things like peering ect,
Vivaciti: Don't here much about them, their be wholesale products offer free migration so no activation fee's
both operate a 1 month min term, so no tie in's both also use peering/routing and possibly backhaul too which are independent to BE retail's
So unless the equipment at your exchange developed a serious fault, or was down for maintenance then you would not share any issues with be /o2retail customers
there are a few other resellers but they tend to be more expensive or have usage caps , in particular if you wanted the Annex M PRO product which offers upto 2.5mbits upload, Though apart from it being faster on lines that are good/short enough, it is old tech now, and IMO i don't think that the price hike is justified really

I totally agree. I have been looking at Xilo's offerings as I have read so many excellent reviews about the service they provide aswell as the technical knowledge and expertise of their support staff. I understand they offer Be wholesale aswell as C&W and quite possibly a few others perhaps. I was quite interested in their Pro 16 Home package, although only offering upto 16mb, the service is unmetered with no throttling, traffic shaping or port blocking. I wonder if they could offer me this service through Be wholesale? I may contact Xilo and enquire with them. Vivacity can offer me an upto 24mb service, totally unmetered without throttling, shaping etc.. however I believe this is via C&W of whom I am abit sceptical about. If there are any ISP's reading who may be able to meet my requirements please do drop me a post into this thread.
Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 21:28:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
C & W No fastpath options available higher than average target margins, and they also have a lot of routing issues

Just as I suspected. Exactly why i'd prefer to try and find a package provided via Be wholesale or perhaps Murphx, possibly even Enta.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 17-Feb-12 21:35:46
Print Post

Just as I suspected. Exactly why i'd prefer to try and find a package provided via Be wholesale or perhaps Murphx, possibly even Enta.
Give IDNet a call. It's not mentioned on their main site, but they can provide services via Telefonica:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,27...

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 17-Feb-12 21:58:49
Print Post

Have you checked samknows web site,?Exchange checker the bt adsl checker should give you the details of which exchange you are connected to , if it says be/o2 are available then you can also get the wholesale offerings, if it don't then you can't
Most of the speed checkers are inaccurate at the best of times they will nearly always give a result that is lower than your line can achieve, most rely on the same information that the BT wholesale data base gives,
As for inputting your number in to the talk talk speed checker............ You have just opened Pandora's box for unsolicited /unwanted telephone calls from there over zealous sales call centre staff they will be in touch soon giving you the hard sell,lol

On the xilo web site if you enter your number into their availability checker the be packages are displayed as
Be 16 Be 24 Be 24 Advanced (be 16 is upto 16mbit ) the other two are not capped at a 16mbit max sync rate Advanced is the Annex M product

Xilo Adsl checker

BT.Checker
Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 22:44:58
Print Post

Have you checked samknows web site,?Exchange checker the bt adsl checker should give you the details of which exchange you are connected to , if it says be/o2 are available then you can also get the wholesale offerings, if it don't then you can't
Most of the speed checkers are inaccurate at the best of times they will nearly always give a result that is lower than your line can achieve, most rely on the same information that the BT wholesale data base gives,
As for inputting your number in to the talk talk speed checker............ You have just opened Pandora's box for unsolicited /unwanted telephone calls from there over zealous sales call centre staff they will be in touch soon giving you the hard sell,lol

On the xilo web site if you enter your number into their availability checker the be packages are displayed as
Be 16 Be 24 Be 24 Advanced (be 16 is upto 16mbit ) the other two are not capped at a 16mbit max sync rate Advanced is the Annex M product

Xilo Adsl checker

BT.Checker

Luckily i've not yet opened pandoras box, so thank you for sharing that! Lol. I have run my number through the Xilo availability checker again and it's saying Pro 16 Home, Pro 16 Office and Pro 24 75GB, so unfortunately no indication of who these packages are provided by, unless of course via Xilo themselves?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 17-Feb-12 23:05:44
Print Post

Nearly everyone on about Be resellers seems to be ignoring what you said in your opening post, "I was going to join BE but am told by their sales team that my exchange is at capacity for their service". That usually means no spare ports, and I doubt if they reserve some for possible reseller use so have them sitting doing nothing while they turn away direct customers.

Vivaciti can offer SMPF via TalkTalk MSANs, I believe with their own backhaul. (SMPF means you can get LLU broadband on your BT Retail line). I think, but I'm not sure, they can also adjust the target noise margin to some extent. It can get expensive though if you regularly want over 100GB and want the busy time throttling removed.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 18-Feb-12 00:36:53
Print Post

Xilo Adsl checker

BT.Checker

Luckily i've not yet opened pandoras box, so thank you for sharing that! Lol. I have run my number through the Xilo availability checker again and it's saying Pro 16 Home, Pro 16 Office and Pro 24 75GB, so unfortunately no indication of who these packages are provided by, unless of course via Xilo themselves?

The pro 24 (75gb usage cap) is what used to be tiscali wholesale LLU (now Talk Talk) but ADSL only
the other two as far as i am aware are C&W
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Feb-12 00:47:46
Print Post

The pro 24 (75gb usage cap) is what used to be tiscali wholesale LLU (now Talk Talk) but ADSL only
The other two are C & W, as you say, but the phone number checker also gives Be packages. Note that the "Up to"s are product spec, the Be ones are what the estimator says. (see the footnote to the table, and that prices ar ex vat).

What do you mean about the ex-Tiscali one being only ADSL? It is presumably now TalkTalk Business Wholesale and ADSL2+ just like it was on Tiscali LLU.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 18-Feb-12 01:01:40)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 18-Feb-12 04:27:01
Print Post

The other two are C & W, as you say, but the phone number checker also gives Be packages. Note that the "Up to"s are product spec, the Be ones are what the estimator says. (see the footnote to the table, and that prices ar ex vat).

What do you mean about the ex-Tiscali one being only ADSL? It is presumably now TalkTalk Business Wholesale and ADSL2+ just like it was on Tiscali LLU.
ADSL only = smpf or broadband only ,and i am aware of what the checker displays the op asked which was the best package /product for them, as a avid gamer, that means where possible , fastpath to be available , then peering in particular if the servers are not within the uk , and presumably they would also want an unmetered connection, so be wholesale would best suite, but if there is no capacity, then maybe this isn't an option, As for allocated ports, they could be shared between retail /wholesale or possibly reserved by some resellers, who knows for sure how they do it
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Feb-12 09:35:23
Print Post

ADSL only = smpf or broadband only
Only in your book tongue. But OK, now I know what you mean. That is an unfortunate way of putting it, as "ADSL" is a protocol with a maximum connection speed of 8Mbps. If you had said SMPF or broadband only in the first place then it would have been clear what you meant, though for people such as the OP it would have been better still to say something like "your line stays with your existing provider". (Which in itself isn't necessarily true by the way - it depends if your line provider allows it).

You further confuse the issue as you don't say that about the C & W products. So the OP and anyone else who doesn't already know has a right to think the C & W products take over the line as well. Which isn't the case.

Are all the Anonymous posts yours anyway? I get the feeling there are at least two Anons, so have to assume it was you that said that.
they would also want an unmetered connection, so be wholesale would best suite, but if there is no capacity, then maybe this isn't an option
Would seem a dead cert!
As for allocated ports, they could be shared between retail /wholesale or possibly reserved by some resellers, who knows for sure how they do it
Want to bet a week's wages that they don't reserve any ports for wholesale/resellers? It wouldn't work financially for them to do that.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 18-Feb-12 09:37:01)

Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Sat 18-Feb-12 16:04:28
Print Post

Nearly everyone on about Be resellers seems to be ignoring what you said in your opening post, "I was going to join BE but am told by their sales team that my exchange is at capacity for their service". That usually means no spare ports, and I doubt if they reserve some for possible reseller use so have them sitting doing nothing while they turn away direct customers.

Vivaciti can offer SMPF via TalkTalk MSANs, I believe with their own backhaul. (SMPF means you can get LLU broadband on your BT Retail line). I think, but I'm not sure, they can also adjust the target noise margin to some extent. It can get expensive though if you regularly want over 100GB and want the busy time throttling removed.

I see what you mean RobertoS. It stands to reason that if my exchange is at capacity for Be Retail then this will in all likelyhood be the case for Be wholesale aswell?

Seems I am somewhat limited in choice if am to be picky. I would rather steer clear of TalTalk if I can possibly help it, due to all of the horror stories i'm reading. I did peruse their forums a little earlier to look at some of the technical issue threads, forum support seems very good. I think I may have narrowed down my choices to Aquiss, Vivaciti, Xilo. All 3 offer an LLU Unlimited package which seems to offer exactly what i'm looking for, however unfortunately seems that all 3 of said resellers deliver the service via C&W. Perhaps C&W are ok and i'm worrying about nothing? Does anyone have any recent tracerts or ping results from C&W?

Many thanks for all of your input so far everyone! Really very much appreciate all of the help and suggestions smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Feb-12 17:06:52
Print Post

You may not be quite clear about what I'm saying about the TalkTalk from vivaciti. It isn't at all affected by the TalkTalk service itself, nor their support. It only uses their DSLAM.

The vivaciti Be connection is the same. It goes from you to the Be DSLAM in the exchange, then off into vivaciti's own backhaul provision.

I don't think any of them have any control over the C & W target noise margin, which IIRC is 9dB. I may be wrong there. On the TT DSLAM I think it can be as low as 6dB. On (the unavailable) Be I think both have a high degree of control of noise margin and interleaving.

I'm not sure of the detail of Aquiss offerings at the moment, but have no criticism to make.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 18-Feb-12 18:02:12)

Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Feb-12 20:00:03
Print Post

If you went with Vivaciti or Xilo, you could always move to one of the BE Wholesale products when capacity becomes available

Be* Unlimited
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 18-Feb-12 20:12:08
Print Post

I see what you mean RobertoS. It stands to reason that if my exchange is at capacity for Be Retail then this will in all likelyhood be the case for Be wholesale aswell?

Seems I am somewhat limited in choice if am to be picky. I would rather steer clear of TalTalk if I can possibly help it, due to all of the horror stories i'm reading. I did peruse their forums a little earlier to look at some of the technical issue threads, forum support seems very good. I think I may have narrowed down my choices to Aquiss, Vivaciti, Xilo. All 3 offer an LLU Unlimited package which seems to offer exactly what i'm looking for, however unfortunately seems that all 3 of said resellers deliver the service via C&W. Perhaps C&W are ok and i'm worrying about nothing? Does anyone have any recent tracerts or ping results from C&W?

Many thanks for all of your input so far everyone! Really very much appreciate all of the help and suggestions smile
no tracerts but they are unlikely to be the lowest in latency as they do NOT switch interleave OFF they also may manage/shape throttle some protocols
check out the vivaciti forums
or here for more info Isp Review
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Feb-12 22:10:35
Print Post

A mate of mine is on the C&W network and is a big games player, mainly on P.C, but also on the PS3 and yet have no problem with C&W.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Sun 19-Feb-12 12:40:39
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Ok I think considering the limited choice, ultimately I will have to bite the bullet and choose one. I have pretty much narrowed my choices down to Vivaciti's ADSL2+ Variety LLU package which as far as I know and of which I think RobertoS was pointing out, runs via TalkTalk. Also Vivaciti's LLU Unlimited of which is via C&W and apparently by default, has interleaving disabled. They can manually adjust the snr aswell if required. I shall enquire directly with Vivaciti to clarify exactly what they are able to offer and make a decision from there. One thing that is very puzzling to me, and forgive my ignorance (I have always received cable broadband) adsl is new to me. My line was installed on 15/02/2012 and a line check on BT Wholesale the day after said I could receive an adsl2+ service between 18-22mb, now however it is reading as follows.

THE BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

For Telephone Number 01273683*** on Exchange KEMPTOWN
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 512Kbps. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 3.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 5Mbps and 7Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 6Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 5Mbps and 7Mbps.
The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.
If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.
Thank you for your interest.
Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

I am less than 300m from the exchange so I would expect much faster speeds than the above. I know the line has not been active 10 or more days yet to give a more conclusive result, but do you think these are the max speeds I will get?
Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Sun 19-Feb-12 12:49:35
Print Post

my choices to Aquiss.....

Just for the record, just to clear things up for those reading, we no longer use C&W for our Unlimited products. (we dropped them in November 2011)

We took a decision that for us C&W were accounting for more faults than other networks and the general fix time was nearly double that of other networks. For us those were at levels that were not reliable enough to meet our standards that we wish to deliver at.

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Internet
http://www.aquiss.net

Home Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/home-broadband.php
Business Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/business-broadband.php
Aquiss Partner Scheme : http://www.aquiss.net/partners.php

Edited by aquiss (Sun 19-Feb-12 12:50:39)

Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Sun 19-Feb-12 12:56:59
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by aquiss:
my choices to Aquiss.....

Just for the record, just to clear things up for those reading, we no longer use C&W for our Unlimited products. (we dropped them in November 2011)

We took a decision that for us C&W were accounting for more faults than other networks and the general fix time was nearly double that of other networks. For us those were at levels that were not reliable enough to meet our standards that we wish to deliver at.

Interesting. Who do you use now to supply your unlimited LLU if you don't mind me asking?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 19-Feb-12 18:29:25
Print Post

My line was installed on 15/02/2012 and a line check on BT Wholesale the day after said I could receive an adsl2+ service between 18-22mb, now however it is reading as follows.

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 512Kbps. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 3.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 5Mbps and 7Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 6Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 5Mbps and 7Mbps
Not good.

The relevant database can take 2-4 days to update to the figures for the location after the line is installed. The first reading would be that for wherever that number was last in use. The later results are for your location frown.

10 days is nothing to do with that, nor in fact with anything else to do performance. See this explanation. Strictly speaking, it also only applies BT Wholesale broadband supply, not to LLU. Though the LLU suppliers do have other line setup methods.

The 300 yards from the exchange does sound strange. More like the distance from a cabinet. (Forgive me saying that, but some people have thought the cabinet is the exchange).

The cable routing can be hugely different from what one would expect. Some even route to old defunct exchanges far away and back to the active one. Or along railway/waterway sides to a bulk tunnelling point then back. Some go from a premises in a direct line away from the exchange then do an unguided tour round various estates and fields before ending up at the right place.

And for quite a few lines the estimate is just plain nonsense, but even when that is proven BT refuse to alter it. That has caused problems with getting connections to such ISPs as Be.

The only good thing about nonsense estimates is that they don't affect the speed when live. The attenuation is the major factor.

Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Sun 19-Feb-12 18:57:18
Print Post

That has caused problems with getting connections to such ISPs as Be.

Be Retail...no such problems with Be Wholesale.

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Internet
http://www.aquiss.net

Home Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/home-broadband.php
Business Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/business-broadband.php
Aquiss Partner Scheme : http://www.aquiss.net/partners.php
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-Feb-12 19:28:27
Print Post

I was going to join BE but am told by their sales team that my exchange is at capacity for their service, and so they are unable to provide me.

Do the Be products show on our checker? We've heard a few of our new customers say that Be said they couldn't offer service due to a full exchange, but there is actually capacity.

Be (normally) only show exchanges with capacity on the results that we return, but there could always be a delay with that data.

If you'd like us to try and put an order through for you on Be, drop us a line. We'd be happy to give it a try for you.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 19-Feb-12 20:05:38
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
I was going to join BE but am told by their sales team that my exchange is at capacity for their service, and so they are unable to provide me.

Do the Be products show on our checker? We've heard a few of our new customers say that Be said they couldn't offer service due to a full exchange, but there is actually capacity.

Be (normally) only show exchanges with capacity on the results that we return, but there could always be a delay with that data.

If you'd like us to try and put an order through for you on Be, drop us a line. We'd be happy to give it a try for you.

Matt
Mine number shows be/o2 to be available, i'm with o2 and looking to change , so just to clarify its £48.00 connection, and 1month subs upfront ?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 19-Feb-12 22:59:51
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Give IDNet a call. It's not mentioned on their main site, but they can provide services via Telefonica:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,27...
Many thanks for a link to the ISP you use.

I am sure IDNet will thank you for the free advertisng and maybe give you a badge with "fanboy" on it.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 19-Feb-12 23:07:24
Print Post

Bye Tony.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Tue 21-Feb-12 17:14:37
Print Post

My line was installed on 15/02/2012 and a line check on BT Wholesale the day after said I could receive an adsl2+ service between 18-22mb, now however it is reading as follows.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 5Mbps and 7Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 6Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 5Mbps and 7Mbps
Not good.

The relevant database can take 2-4 days to update to the figures for the location after the line is installed. The first reading would be that for wherever that number was last in use. The later results are for your location frown.

10 days is nothing to do with that, nor in fact with anything else to do performance. See this explanation. Strictly speaking, it also only applies BT Wholesale broadband supply, not to LLU. Though the LLU suppliers do have other line setup methods.

The 300 yards from the exchange does sound strange. More like the distance from a cabinet. (Forgive me saying that, but some people have thought the cabinet is the exchange).

The cable routing can be hugely different from what one would expect. Some even route to old defunct exchanges far away and back to the active one. Or along railway/waterway sides to a bulk tunnelling point then back. Some go from a premises in a direct line away from the exchange then do an unguided tour round various estates and fields before ending up at the right place.

And for quite a few lines the estimate is just plain nonsense, but even when that is proven BT refuse to alter it. That has caused problems with getting connections to such ISPs as Be.

The only good thing about nonsense estimates is that they don't affect the speed when live. The attenuation is the major factor.

Hmm doesn't sound good. Thanks for shedding some light on that RobertoS. I suspect I have a long line, regardless of my close proximity to the exchange, this would obviously account for the low speed results estimated by bt wholesale checker. No doubt my line from the cab back to the exchange takes the scenic route. The only way I will ever know what speeds can be achieved is to run a service on the line and hope for the best "suck it and see" so to speak. Vivaciti have run my number through their checker, and have enquired with Be wholesale, who have said that there is capacity and that an order can be placed for my line, no speed estimates were returned however. I have placed an order with Vivaciti and am now just waiting for their carriers to get back to them with an activation date etc. stay tuned everyone to see what surprises my line has in store.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 21-Feb-12 18:49:55
Print Post

Let's hope it's a junk estimate. Good luck smile.

Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Sat 25-Feb-12 10:56:35
Print Post

Just an update to this thread. BT Wholesale Checker is now reporting the following for my line.

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 18.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 17.5Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 18.5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 17.5Mbps and 19.5Mbps.

So maybe it was a junk estimate? laugh Interestingly enough also, is that availability checkers on the different ISP sites, Xilo etc.. are now offering me Be packages, whereas before they wouldn't.

Would anyone mind helping me in choosing an adsl2+ router? Nothing too expensive, upto and around £60 or so. I understand routers with the broadcom chipset is a very popular choice if your service is with Be/O2. I have been looking at the DG834,DG834G, DG834GT, DG834PN and the newer DGN2000 and DGND3300.

Many thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions!
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Sat 25-Feb-12 11:30:55
Print Post

Another thing is they only shape illegal P2P torrent traffic on their Plus package, so it's good for everything else such as gaming

Illegal P2P? LOL.

Tell that to Blizzard.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 27-Feb-12 00:37:13
Print Post

You have to be careful with the plain 834 and 834G. They have to be version 4. Also the plain 834 doesn''t have wireless capabity. 845GT and 834PN are fine. Don't know much about the two newer ones. The DGN2200 is fine.

Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 19:45:06
Print Post

You have to be careful with the plain 834 and 834G. They have to be version 4. Also the plain 834 doesn''t have wireless capabity. 845GT and 834PN are fine. Don't know much about the two newer ones. The DGN2200 is fine.

Thanks for the info RobertoS. I bought a Netgear DGND 3300v2 last night - BIG MISTAKE! Having tried the only 2 available firmware versions, I had nothing but dropped connections repeatedly, after a while I was unable to connect altogether!

The Netgear has gone back and I have ordered The TP-Link TD-W8960N. Seems to have so many positive reviews and also has the broadcom chipset. Won't win any awards where it's looks are concerned but if it does the job i'm happy.

I'll update the thread as to how I get on and with stats etc.
Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Sat 03-Mar-12 10:32:05
Print Post

So just to update my thread, i'm up and running now with Vivaciti on their Broadband Unlimited Premium, provisioned via BE Wholesale.

Below stats from my router. Do they look ok? Or does anyone think there is possible room for improvement by tweaks and adjustments etc.

Currently have interleaving enabled on my account but have requested Vivaciti to disable it. Also have lowered the SNR with DMT to around 3.6-3.8 apparently with headroom for further adjustment!

Mode: ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type: ATM
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis): On On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 63 78
Attenuation (0.1 dB): 100 28
Output Power (0.1 dBm): 181 121
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 25816 1274

Path 0 Path 1
Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 21060 1287 0 0

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message): 59 16 0 0
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 54 36 0 0
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 1 0 0
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 11 3 0 0
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 8 0 0 0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.902 0.9866 0.0 0.0
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame): 5585 300 0 0
D (interleaver depth): 352 1 0 0
Delay (msec): 7.94 0.24 0.0 0.0
INP (DMT symbol): 2.1 0.0 0.0 0.0

Super Frames: 199347 197514 0 0
Super Frame Errors: 0 0 0 0
RS Words: 142533180 0 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 13 0 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0 0 0

HEC Errors: 10 0 0 0
OCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
Total Cells: 159707266 589755747 0 0
Data Cells: 215693 9460289 0 0
Bit Errors: 0 257360 0 0

Total ES: 0 11
Total SES: 0 0
Total UAS: 34 34
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 03-Mar-12 10:57:51
Print Post

Bit hard to assess from tweaked stats. There looks to be scope for Annex M without losing much or even any downstream but we'd need to see them untweaked. Not safe to go for it without.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Mar-12 11:45:23
Print Post

Are they tweaked?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 03-Mar-12 12:22:32
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Are they tweaked?
No, that's saying the units they're reported in. They are 6.3dB and 7.8dB wink

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Mar-12 12:43:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I can read, thanks! I do understand tenths units. That wasn't the Q.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 03-Mar-12 12:51:38
Print Post

Depends what time of day he connected. 6.3dB is perfectly consistent with the tweak he claims if he did it outside daylight hours and took the stats in daylight.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Mar-12 12:55:20
Print Post

I wonder! I never see more than 0.5 dB variation between day & night.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 03-Mar-12 15:09:34
Print Post

And I always had 3.5dB variation.

Cue a discussion of the settings normally available and why any above 6dB are necessary tongue.

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-Mar-12 15:42:31
Print Post

I was generalizing and simplifying with the theory that torrents are usually used for illegal means.

Edit: He didn't mention the contract, but I suppose he probably does have one

But there is nothing illegal about a torrent or P2P, the media use words such as illegal just to hype things up, TalkTalk throttle P2P not because of if it be illegal or not , but to save resources on their network,nothing else

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 03-Mar-12 15:45:44)

Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Sat 03-Mar-12 19:39:12
Print Post

I took the stats just before posting them to this thread so around 10:30am this morning.

Here are my stats as of the time I took them, 19:30pm as reported by DMT.

Down Up
G.dmt framing
--stats
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 8000
Max: Upstream rate = 1278 Kbps, Downstream rate = 25816 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 1287 Kbps, Downstream rate = 21060 Kbps

Mode: ADSL2+
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 6.2 7.7
Attn(dB): 10.0 2.8
Pwr(dBm): 18.1 12.1

ADSL2 framing

MSGc: 59 16
B: 54 36
M: 1 1
T: 11 3
R: 8 0
S: 0.0902 0.9866
L: 5585 300
D: 352 1

Counters

SF: 2226275 144660
SFErr: 0 42
RS: 1591787224 0
RSCorr: 835 0
RSUnCorr: 0 0

HEC: 0 22
OCD: 0 0
LCD: 0 0
Total Cells: 1783675695 688911244
Data Cells: 679548 9652707
Drop Cells: 0
Bit Errors: 0 258429

ES: 0 24
SES: 0 0
UAS: 34 34
AS: 35910

INP: 2.01 0.00
PER: 16.13 16.28
delay: 7.94 0.24
OR: 32.23 10.81

Bitswap: 864 2

I will reverse the tweak and post the stats so that you can look at what's going on without any modifications having been made smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 03-Mar-12 21:25:47
Print Post

It's stats taken immediately after a reconnection, preferably done during daylight hours, with no tweaking, that are needed. The current problem is you said you had tweaked to 3.6/3.8dB, yet you are showing over 6dB.

So we can't tell anything from that except either you haven't tweaked the SNR, or something is odd.

Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Sun 04-Mar-12 17:40:28
Print Post

It's stats taken immediately after a reconnection, preferably done during daylight hours, with no tweaking, that are needed. The current problem is you said you had tweaked to 3.6/3.8dB, yet you are showing over 6dB.

So we can't tell anything from that except either you haven't tweaked the SNR, or something is odd.

Odd :-/ I tweaked the SNR with DMT and rebooted/resynced for changes to take effect. Anyhow here are my stats following a resync during daylight hours and without tweaks.

Statistics -- xDSL

Mode: ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type: ATM

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis): On On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 63 75
Attenuation (0.1 dB): 100 24
Output Power (0.1 dBm): 181 122
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 25820 1291

Path 0 Path 1
Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 21009 1308 0 0

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message): 59 16 0 0
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 66 37 0 0
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 1 0 0
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 9 3 0 0
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 10 0 0 0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.1101 0.9967 0.0 0.0
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame): 5590 305 0 0
D (interleaver depth): 288 1 0 0
Delay (msec): 7.93 0.24 0.0 0.0
INP (DMT symbol): 2.6 0.0 0.0 0.0

Super Frames: 46240 45304 0 0
Super Frame Errors: 0 0 0 0
RS Words: 27050548 0 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 0 0 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0 0 0

HEC Errors: 0 0 0 0
OCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
Total Cells: 36927604 909040442 0 0
Data Cells: 770636 28081777 0 0
Bit Errors: 0 258788 0 0

Total ES: 0 0
Total SES: 0 0
Total UAS: 30 30
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 04-Mar-12 19:16:54
Print Post

Are you changing routers sometimes as well? The layout changes.

Edit - the middle lot are taken from a DMT stats listing.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 04-Mar-12 19:21:27)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-12 19:41:23
Print Post

Switching between router measuring 0.1 dBs and one in just dBs (Netgear?)

All readings show:
Attainable Rate: 25.8 Meg
Actual rate: 21.0 Meg
Attenuation: 10 dB
SNR Margin: 6 dB
None look tweaked or it's not taking effect.

Standard User LoWLatencY
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 13:01:44
Print Post

Are you changing routers sometimes as well? The layout changes.

Edit - the middle lot are taken from a DMT stats listing.

No, stats are taken from the same router.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to