General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 29-Jun-12 13:05:48
Print Post

Re: Time to move away from Plusnet?

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

If Plusnet had sent someone out to move the wire before the door was changed, you'd have been charged too.

Essentially, this is not Plusnets fault.

The line you pay for has been damaged by a third party.
You want the line repaired and will have to pay for this to happen, as it was damaged
You will then have to claim that back from the council who damaged the line.

Simple really... you're just expecting Plusnet to jump when it's not even their fault.
Standard User professor973
(regular) Fri 29-Jun-12 13:34:33
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I am sorry, Plusnet are my only point of contact to Openreach, I cannot contact them myself. I simply asked them to set the repair in motion, but they cannot simply do that. If I refuse to pay any bill presented to me, or pass it on to a third party is totally beside the point, it would not be presented to them. I would bet my new supplier are more cooperative. I will let you know here, not under the carpet.

Zen Business Talk - Freeola Family … Perfect!

Edited by professor973 (Fri 29-Jun-12 13:35:33)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Jun-12 14:22:31
Print Post

I know, it's all a conspiracy. Everyone's agin you!
In reply to a post by professor973:
As for me being in contract for the line, anything before the NTE5 is nothing to do with me.
You are also responsible for any damage to the line before it reaches the NTE5 and the outside of the back door is still your (rented) property.

You have been told this repeatedly by various unbiased parties, yet you continue to have a unintelligible boring rant.

You will find eventually that all other ISPs will treat this situation in an identical manner, but of course they are in league with PN, BT, OR, ...

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Fri 29-Jun-12 14:35:22
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I am sorry, but I am not responsible for the actions of someone else, especially when I did all a reasonable person could to prevent it. It sounds like fun slashing other peoples phone wires and getting off scot-free As for all suppliers being the same, I suppose it would be no use telling you I had a ten minute response to a ticket from my next supplier, or that the repair is underway at no cost to me. If that is considered ranting, then so be it.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 29-Jun-12 14:36:28
Print Post

[re: knerdz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by knerdz:
Simple question to PlusNet :
Are you going to have a product refresh before the Olympics?

Simple answer from PlusNet :
.... Visit the Plusnet website every few weeks to ensure that you are aware of new products.

I think it's time to move to another ISP.
Thinking about this, I wouldn't be surprised if any product refresh beneficial to we users has been postponed specifically because of the Olympics. That would be a very sound course of action.

What you may not have noticed a few weeks ago was Plusnet stating that considerable extra capacity was being installed to cover the Olympics, (so make sure your prospective new ISP is doing the same). It wouldn't make a lot of sense to install capacity to try to maintain the current acceptable throughput levels, then possibly attract a whole load of new customers who would cane the system.

What I do remember was two other large-scale events. I think one was the last Olympics and one the Commonwealth Games. On Newnet my throughput dropped from a typical 70% to as low as 50% and occasionally 40%. Later, on O2, I don't remember any adverse effect - but that was in O2's glory days! Certainly on one of the two occasions there were Zen users complaining about only getting about 500Mbps on high sync speeds, and similar posts re other ISPs.

Just my thoughts smile. They may be far wide of the mark.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 29-Jun-12 14:41:38
Print Post

Strangely, there have been many posts in the past about lines routed through door and window frames, where the contractor doing the replacement job has managed not to disrupt the connection.

You are now telling us that some ISP that has nothing more than an order from you is risking this? In that case it sounds like the equivalent of cash-back or free months or other new customer incentive schemes. You've organised a good deal - congratulations. (Honest ones).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 29-Jun-12 14:57:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:
I am sorry, but I am not responsible for the actions of someone else, especially when I did all a reasonable person could to prevent it. It sounds like fun slashing other peoples phone wires and getting off scot-free As for all suppliers being the same, I suppose it would be no use telling you I had a ten minute response to a ticket from my next supplier, or that the repair is underway at no cost to me. If that is considered ranting, then so be it.

Go and get some professional legal advice and see wether taking the council to small claims court over the damage they caused.

It may be less than having to pay the charges that replacing the line.

Something similar happened round here, the council bin lorry drove up the road with the back end raised and chopped half the telephone wires between the pole and the block of houses I live in.

Eventually OR took the council to court for them to pay up but my neighbours who got the chop had to all moan to BT to get them to waive the charges.
(regular) Fri 29-Jun-12 15:22:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Strangely, there have been many posts in the past about lines routed through door and window frames, where the contractor doing the replacement job has managed not to disrupt the connection.

Imagine if you will an old door frame pre-through fixings, where the frame was fixed with the old cut nails to the brickwork. The only way to remove such a frame is to saw through the centre of each section and lever the pieces out with a crowbar.
Now imagine if you will a mortice and tennon joint in each corner of the frame. For those that cant look here. http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3123/jointzz.jpg Then imagine a sloppy corner cutting B.T. fit, where the drop-lead is drilled up in the corner right through the mortice and tennon joint. You will see that when the top timber is levered out it shears the cable. I am an ex Henderson industrial door fitter, who used to install and repair all types of door, partition and security system. My problem is one that would have stood out a mile on a survey. One that I did all a reasonable person could to pre-empt. If anybody's fault, the B.T. fitter.

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Fri 29-Jun-12 15:27:24
Print Post

I can certainly sympathise with your frustration with Open Reach and Plusnet - there really ought to be a mechanism that allows the cost of repair to any damage caused by contractors working for another party, in your case the council, to be billed directly. I can not see how you could be held personally responsible for the damage and the suggestion by Plusnet that you may have pay for any repairs, exchange side of the nte5, must be very annoying.

I've had similar problems with Plusnet myself in the past and without any doubt my broadband faults were caused by something exchange side of the nte5, however I own the property, and until an Open Reach engineer had established the line fault was beyond the boundary of my property (hence ruling out the possiblity that it was not caused by me or others within the boundary) they were obligated to state that I may be liable for the repair costs.

You obviously did everything humanly possible that was legitimate to avoid this situation before the new door was fitted and I guess the contractor has admitted full responsibility, both to yourself and the council, for the damage caused but, as things stand, I think you will have to be prepared to pay for the repair yourself and then ask the council to cover your costs.

Maybe all ISP's would have to state that you could be liable for the repairs given that you actually rent the line and it is not rented by the council? An Open Reach engineer will fix the line and bill the cost to your ISP who in turn will bill you, it’s just unfortunate that the contractor or council can not be billed directly frown
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 29-Jun-12 15:30:45
Print Post

Professor973, although I can appreciate what you have written in regards to it not being your fault, the acknowledgement request that there may be a fee for the fix sounds exactly like the standard BT fault raising thing that you have to do when you raise a fault call with them that will require an engineer visit, and so I would expect ANY ISP to specify the exact same fee and acknowledgement request before escalating the call to get an engineer visit.

Just because there might be a fee does not mean there will be one (having just recently had to raise a call with BT after the house phone stopped working, I had to acknowledge the same "might be a fee for the fix" thing before the engineer was arranged. It is necessary for them to do this otherwise anyone who actually HAD caused the damage themselves could just protest it wasn't there fault, get the fix done and then refuse to pay the fee because they didn't agree to it in the first place, and realistically, what sort of company would leave themselves open to that.)

Based on what you have specified I would not really expect there to be a fee for the fix but as other have specified in the thread, if there is a fee, then pass this onto the council/contractors firm who actually caused the damage.

TLDR: Just acknowledge the possible fix fee message, get your fault fixed, and if push comes to shove and BT do charge, then contact the council and pass the charge onto them/the contract firm who did the damage in the first place.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to