General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User knerdz
(newbie) Thu 28-Jun-12 20:29:03
Print Post

Time to move away from Plusnet?

[link to this post]

Simple question to PlusNet :
Are you going to have a product refresh before the Olympics?

Simple answer from PlusNet :
.... Visit the Plusnet website every few weeks to ensure that you are aware of new products.

I think it's time to move to another ISP.
Standard User professor973
(learned) Thu 28-Jun-12 21:08:29
Print Post

Re: Time to move away from Plusnet?

[re: knerdz] [link to this post]

Simple question to Plusnet via ticket.

My line is being transferred to Zen on the 4th of July, so I realise nobody may be willing to help me at the moment. My phone drop lead was severed during door frame removal on the 21st of June. The wires are temporarily twisted together outside the back door. This is a council property so no charge should be paid by me for a drop lead re-run.
Chris Maidment, the Project Manager at Babergh District Council ( number removed sadoldman) has been trying for a week to arrange this, but so far B.T. have not got back to him. I have tried, but I get cut straight off as my phone service is not with B.T. Can you help?

Not particularly helpful answer from Plusnet mentioning a non existent voice mail

As per my voice mail we can raise this issue to our suppliers however a charge of £60 may be applied. We need to speak to you to confirm you acknowledge and understand the possibility of this charge before this can be raised. Please call us on 0800 432 0200 to discuss this.

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,

David Hunt

Agitated reply to Plusnet.

Nearly 24 hours to answer a ticket, then I get told I will be charged for you to contact BTW, what a joke Plusnet are. I have already stated that this is a council property and it was the councils contractors that replaced the back door and severed my phone drop-lead. There is therefore no way that I am at fault or responsible for any charges. But not to worry, as soon as my line is transferred I will take my broadband away from this shower. In fact, as it lasts for 30 days, please Email me a MAC now. As for your "As per my voice mail", I don't know what you are talking about, there are no messages on my answerphone, which is par for the course for Plusnet.

Totally incompetent reply from Plusnet ignoring the actual situation.

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the level of service you have been recieving. If you wish to continue with the fault investigation you would, as m colleague advised you, need to acknowledge the possibility of the £60 charge if an engineer visits your property and finds the fault to be due to your internal wiring, equipment or damage to BT equipment.

If on the contrary you wish to cancel the account you would need to speak to our customer options team. They are available by calling 0800 432 0200 Monday to Friday between 09:00 and 17:30 (except bank holidays.)

Please let us know how you wish to proceed with this issue. If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact us either by replying to this ticket or calling our support team on 0800 432 0200.

You can access your account by visiting https://my.plus.net, support services are available here http://www.plus.net/support, and our community pages can be found at http://community.plus.net.

Kind regards,

Richard Tillery

Reply from angry user that cannot leave quick enough!

God give me strength. Are all Plusnet employees totally ignorant? What the hell do you mean a charge will be made if a fault is found with my internal wiring? I HAVE TOLD YOU MY DROPLEAD OUTSIDE MY BACK DOOR HAS BEEN SEVERED BY A DOOR REPLACEMENT ENGINEER FOR CHRISTS SAKE. Can you not read? It is little wonder I cannot wait to get away from Plusnet. Zen cannot come quick enough for me I'm afraid.

What a waste of space. Last one put the light out!

Admin: sorry if the language does not meet forum standard, but left in for authenticity.

Zen Business Talk - Freeola Family … Perfect!

Edited by Sadoldman (Fri 29-Jun-12 12:30:56)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Jun-12 22:25:49
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

That's not PN's concern nor responsibility. They have no contractual relationship with your Council, but with you.

They have every right to raise a charge against you for damage to their line within your property.

However, you, of course, have every right to re-raise the charge against the Council plus any inconvenience.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Jun-12 22:45:07
Print Post

Afraid XraySpex is right. The contract is between you and plusnet. Plusnet may be charged by BT. The Council has no contractual arrangement with either BT or Plusnet and cannot act on your behalf (it may be their property but it is your phone line). You need to get it fixed, pay a charge if necessary and then claim it back against the Council. Plusnet appear to be doing what they can although I understand your frustration.
Maybe the voicemail was left with someone at the Council?
I think you need to give Plusnet a bit of a break here and from the tone of some of your messages to them I would say Plusnet would understandably become increasingly intractable - especially as you are already moving away from them so they aren't going to profit out of doing you any favours.
Sorry, but that is life.
(learned) Fri 29-Jun-12 05:47:48
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

While Plusnet are my line supplier they are the point of contact between me and Openreach. What annoys me, is the total incompetence. I stated clearly that the damage was to the droplead outside my property, but they still ramble on about possible charges due to faults or damage inside my property. Can they not read?
I have not been with them long, but long enough to discover that despite the good work of a few of their staff here, total incompetence is the order of the day with PN customer services in my experience. Very slow to respond, then when they do, like the OP you find a straight answer actually related to the query is not forthcoming. Definitely a chip off the old block. Very similar to making users wait five days for a MAC "because we can".
Everything seems so ham-fisted with Plusnet. From a silly Email address format, to describing line rental as "Talk anytime Charge" and talk anytime charge as "Call plan charge" on the bill, all of which they refuse to change nomatter how confusing to customers. It is also quite galling to see them offer unlimited broadband regardless of Market status under the guise of John Lewis for no more money than the limited PN service. I know about the hidden PN unlimited service, but that costs even more and is very shifty marketing in my book.
As for my tone, remember that the Council and I have spent 12 days being totally ignored by B.T. In my case, their automated system recognises my calls are not with them and cuts off the call. What am I supposed to do, congratulate them on their poor service?

Edited by professor973 (Fri 29-Jun-12 06:48:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 29-Jun-12 08:35:17
Print Post

Please will you edit that so we can see what you are quoting and what is your contribution. I assume you know how to use the short or even full quote mechanism crazy.

Your vendetta is boring enough without your making incomprehensible posts, "professor".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(learned) Fri 29-Jun-12 09:29:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

@RobertoS
Of course I know how to use the quote mechanism, manually or otherwise. That said, I don't understand what you are saying.
I initially replied to this thread in the same format as the OP, who was stating how difficult it is to get a straight answer from Plusnet, so don't see what there is for others to understand.
Incessant sniping is also boring, but not to worry, like ISP's I can ignore it.

Edited by professor973 (Fri 29-Jun-12 09:31:11)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 29-Jun-12 09:45:12
Print Post

Sorry. It's clearly my fault.

My problem is that I find "stream of consciousness" posts like this one very difficult to read, plus in that case incomprehensible as nearly every phrase triggers the thought "now I've read that before. Who said it, where and when?".

I'm afraid that to my obviously semi-illiterate brain, that post is gibberish.

Alternatively of course, it isn't my brain at fault. It is that the post consists of gibberish emanating from a tortured mind that has become incapable of expressing itself clearly, having lost nearly all rationality.

(Re-reads the whole thread - truly).

Ouch! So all the quotes and repetition are from your own post earlier which was similarly difficult. Isn't that earlier post largely a series of quotes from your posts elsewhere, or am I hallucinating? The OP was succinct and to the point. You, I'm sorry to say, have to my mind become incoherent.

I apologise again for my inability to understand you.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Fri 29-Jun-12 12:29:09
Print Post

It may have been better if you had started your own thread, the OP was referring to product refresh.

Your issue is very specific, someone has damaged your line, you advised your supplier who you say responded in less than 24 hours and quite rightly advised that a charge for a repair is possible if a visit is requested from Openreach.The ISP requested to discuss the matter via a freephone number so I would have thought in the circumstances you would have used that method to communicate directly as email ping pong can and does happen

As you are in contract for that line I would guess only you can authorise that work and agree for any charges incurred. It is then up to you to reclaim the costs from whomever.The ISP nor Openreach are in the loop on that.

As the problem was caused indirectly by yourself and you were given means to communicate directly I think your comments regarding the staff somewhat inappropriate. I will edit out the phone number of Chris Maidment that I would suggest should not have been posted on an open forum without his permission.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

[email protected]
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Fri 29-Jun-12 12:48:19
Print Post

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

The problem was NOT caused indirectly by myself. This is a council property. The Council decided to instruct contractors to install a new back door. i could see the drop-lead would be severed when the old frame was levered out as it went through a mortice and tennon joint at the corner of the frame. I tried to avoid this by phoning firstly the Council to arrange a cable re-run prior to installation, where I was told by an ignorant woman that I was stupid and she could remove the cable from the frame easily in a couple of minutes. I then phoned Plusnet and was told to go away and wait till it was actually severed. Finally, I tried B.T. whose system recognised my calls were not with them and promptly cut me off. All of this BEFORE the unavoidable damage was done and the abysmal service that followed. Why is it surprising I consider myself not at fault and refuse any charge? As for me being in contract for the line, anything before the NTE5 is nothing to do with me. But, like the NTE5, if need be I will re-run the drop myself, B.T. are not the only ones that are a law unto themselves.

Edited by professor973 (Fri 29-Jun-12 12:50:25)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 29-Jun-12 13:05:48
Print Post

If Plusnet had sent someone out to move the wire before the door was changed, you'd have been charged too.

Essentially, this is not Plusnets fault.

The line you pay for has been damaged by a third party.
You want the line repaired and will have to pay for this to happen, as it was damaged
You will then have to claim that back from the council who damaged the line.

Simple really... you're just expecting Plusnet to jump when it's not even their fault.
(regular) Fri 29-Jun-12 13:34:33
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I am sorry, Plusnet are my only point of contact to Openreach, I cannot contact them myself. I simply asked them to set the repair in motion, but they cannot simply do that. If I refuse to pay any bill presented to me, or pass it on to a third party is totally beside the point, it would not be presented to them. I would bet my new supplier are more cooperative. I will let you know here, not under the carpet.

Edited by professor973 (Fri 29-Jun-12 13:35:33)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Jun-12 14:22:31
Print Post

I know, it's all a conspiracy. Everyone's agin you!
In reply to a post by professor973:
As for me being in contract for the line, anything before the NTE5 is nothing to do with me.
You are also responsible for any damage to the line before it reaches the NTE5 and the outside of the back door is still your (rented) property.

You have been told this repeatedly by various unbiased parties, yet you continue to have a unintelligible boring rant.

You will find eventually that all other ISPs will treat this situation in an identical manner, but of course they are in league with PN, BT, OR, ...

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
(regular) Fri 29-Jun-12 14:35:22
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I am sorry, but I am not responsible for the actions of someone else, especially when I did all a reasonable person could to prevent it. It sounds like fun slashing other peoples phone wires and getting off scot-free As for all suppliers being the same, I suppose it would be no use telling you I had a ten minute response to a ticket from my next supplier, or that the repair is underway at no cost to me. If that is considered ranting, then so be it.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 29-Jun-12 14:36:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by knerdz:
Simple question to PlusNet :
Are you going to have a product refresh before the Olympics?

Simple answer from PlusNet :
.... Visit the Plusnet website every few weeks to ensure that you are aware of new products.

I think it's time to move to another ISP.
Thinking about this, I wouldn't be surprised if any product refresh beneficial to we users has been postponed specifically because of the Olympics. That would be a very sound course of action.

What you may not have noticed a few weeks ago was Plusnet stating that considerable extra capacity was being installed to cover the Olympics, (so make sure your prospective new ISP is doing the same). It wouldn't make a lot of sense to install capacity to try to maintain the current acceptable throughput levels, then possibly attract a whole load of new customers who would cane the system.

What I do remember was two other large-scale events. I think one was the last Olympics and one the Commonwealth Games. On Newnet my throughput dropped from a typical 70% to as low as 50% and occasionally 40%. Later, on O2, I don't remember any adverse effect - but that was in O2's glory days! Certainly on one of the two occasions there were Zen users complaining about only getting about 500Mbps on high sync speeds, and similar posts re other ISPs.

Just my thoughts smile. They may be far wide of the mark.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 29-Jun-12 14:41:38
Print Post

Strangely, there have been many posts in the past about lines routed through door and window frames, where the contractor doing the replacement job has managed not to disrupt the connection.

You are now telling us that some ISP that has nothing more than an order from you is risking this? In that case it sounds like the equivalent of cash-back or free months or other new customer incentive schemes. You've organised a good deal - congratulations. (Honest ones).

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 29-Jun-12 14:57:41
Print Post

I am sorry, but I am not responsible for the actions of someone else, especially when I did all a reasonable person could to prevent it. It sounds like fun slashing other peoples phone wires and getting off scot-free As for all suppliers being the same, I suppose it would be no use telling you I had a ten minute response to a ticket from my next supplier, or that the repair is underway at no cost to me. If that is considered ranting, then so be it.

Go and get some professional legal advice and see wether taking the council to small claims court over the damage they caused.

It may be less than having to pay the charges that replacing the line.

Something similar happened round here, the council bin lorry drove up the road with the back end raised and chopped half the telephone wires between the pole and the block of houses I live in.

Eventually OR took the council to court for them to pay up but my neighbours who got the chop had to all moan to BT to get them to waive the charges.
(regular) Fri 29-Jun-12 15:22:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Strangely, there have been many posts in the past about lines routed through door and window frames, where the contractor doing the replacement job has managed not to disrupt the connection.

Imagine if you will an old door frame pre-through fixings, where the frame was fixed with the old cut nails to the brickwork. The only way to remove such a frame is to saw through the centre of each section and lever the pieces out with a crowbar.
Now imagine if you will a mortice and tennon joint in each corner of the frame. For those that cant look here. http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3123/jointzz.jpg Then imagine a sloppy corner cutting B.T. fit, where the drop-lead is drilled up in the corner right through the mortice and tennon joint. You will see that when the top timber is levered out it shears the cable. I am an ex Henderson industrial door fitter, who used to install and repair all types of door, partition and security system. My problem is one that would have stood out a mile on a survey. One that I did all a reasonable person could to pre-empt. If anybody's fault, the B.T. fitter.

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Fri 29-Jun-12 15:27:24
Print Post

I can certainly sympathise with your frustration with Open Reach and Plusnet - there really ought to be a mechanism that allows the cost of repair to any damage caused by contractors working for another party, in your case the council, to be billed directly. I can not see how you could be held personally responsible for the damage and the suggestion by Plusnet that you may have pay for any repairs, exchange side of the nte5, must be very annoying.

I've had similar problems with Plusnet myself in the past and without any doubt my broadband faults were caused by something exchange side of the nte5, however I own the property, and until an Open Reach engineer had established the line fault was beyond the boundary of my property (hence ruling out the possiblity that it was not caused by me or others within the boundary) they were obligated to state that I may be liable for the repair costs.

You obviously did everything humanly possible that was legitimate to avoid this situation before the new door was fitted and I guess the contractor has admitted full responsibility, both to yourself and the council, for the damage caused but, as things stand, I think you will have to be prepared to pay for the repair yourself and then ask the council to cover your costs.

Maybe all ISP's would have to state that you could be liable for the repairs given that you actually rent the line and it is not rented by the council? An Open Reach engineer will fix the line and bill the cost to your ISP who in turn will bill you, it’s just unfortunate that the contractor or council can not be billed directly frown
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 29-Jun-12 15:30:45
Print Post

Professor973, although I can appreciate what you have written in regards to it not being your fault, the acknowledgement request that there may be a fee for the fix sounds exactly like the standard BT fault raising thing that you have to do when you raise a fault call with them that will require an engineer visit, and so I would expect ANY ISP to specify the exact same fee and acknowledgement request before escalating the call to get an engineer visit.

Just because there might be a fee does not mean there will be one (having just recently had to raise a call with BT after the house phone stopped working, I had to acknowledge the same "might be a fee for the fix" thing before the engineer was arranged. It is necessary for them to do this otherwise anyone who actually HAD caused the damage themselves could just protest it wasn't there fault, get the fix done and then refuse to pay the fee because they didn't agree to it in the first place, and realistically, what sort of company would leave themselves open to that.)

Based on what you have specified I would not really expect there to be a fee for the fix but as other have specified in the thread, if there is a fee, then pass this onto the council/contractors firm who actually caused the damage.

TLDR: Just acknowledge the possible fix fee message, get your fault fixed, and if push comes to shove and BT do charge, then contact the council and pass the charge onto them/the contract firm who did the damage in the first place.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 29-Jun-12 15:31:11
Print Post

Funny. I always though bits of wood could be carefully cut out to release such cables frown. Brute force levering out is of course an idiotic thing for any contractor to do in this situation. Didn't you warn them too?

(As you are an expert I'd have thought you would have known how to spell "tenon". Elementary woodworking at school about 56 years ago taught me that. It isn't a typo as you did it twice).

(regular) Fri 29-Jun-12 15:33:27
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

My line is switched next Wednesday and MAC ready to fire immediately after, so any bills PN wish to push my way will have to be on paper. Direct Debit will be long stopped.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Jun-12 15:40:42
Print Post

The engineer will not know whether a charge will be levied, they will fill in the job code that is appropriate for something like

Fixed drop cable break outside property inside premises boundary.

Back room people will then figure out whether to charge, and I'd suggest it is very likely. Then once you get the bill you have to pursue the council, who then pursue the contractor.

You can go around the loop you are stuck in currently for years and get no where.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Fri 29-Jun-12 15:40:50
Print Post

Sorry for the typo RobertoS, put it down to a mixture of executive stress, senility and being a mind-numbing idiot (which you spotted) :—} I just cannot stop some mis-spelling despite knowing better, or remember to check before pushing send.
I did woodwork around the same time — Pre- Elf 'N Safety!
Nice to see the PN MAC is quicker these days!
Oh, I obviously pointed out the cable to fitters on a bonus system — Not our problem Guv!

Edited by professor973 (Fri 29-Jun-12 15:43:47)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 29-Jun-12 15:42:58
Print Post

Zen Business Talk? No doubt very nice at £16.18pm line rental with no call package.

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Fri 29-Jun-12 15:46:19
Print Post

...any bills PN wish to push my way will have to be on paper. Direct Debit will be long stopped.

Possibly legally binding though!
(regular) Fri 29-Jun-12 15:58:28
Print Post

Zen Business Talk? No doubt very nice at £16.18pm line rental with no call package.

Yes, but £13.49p + VAT equalling £16.18 is better than the £17.48P I am paying PN on Market 1. No contract tie-in, no connection charge, per-second billing, 1.28p per minute daytime, 0.85p evenings and weekends. Not even rounding each call up to the next penny. Ideal in these days of Skype and Sipgate when I only make make a couple of chargeable calls a week on the land-=line. Then again, it could be about service.
http://www.zen.co.uk/business/voice/phone-services.a...
Edit:- Looks like I didn't check again — :—{

Edited by professor973 (Fri 29-Jun-12 16:13:54)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 29-Jun-12 16:27:08
Print Post

Rounding to the nearest, not always down. Unless the website is incorrectly worded. Also those are still ex-Vat.

I don't see where the PN price comes from. Looks like some form of bundle including broadband, and including vat.

You're edit doesn't tell us what you had missed smile. So meaningless.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 29-Jun-12 16:27:26)

(regular) Fri 29-Jun-12 16:36:46
Print Post

Rounding to the nearest, not always down. Unless the website is incorrectly worded. Also those are still ex-Vat.

I don't see where the PN price comes from. Looks like some form of bundle including broadband, and including vat.

You're edit doesn't tell us what you had missed smile. So meaningless.

Come on old man, surely even you can see the mess up I made (Land - = Line)
As the yanks say — Do the math!
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9007/pnbill.jpg

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Jun-12 17:05:16
Print Post

For what it is worth if it had been me, i would of done my best to have gotten it in writing from the council that if their contractor caused any damage to the phone line,they would agree to pay for any repair charges ,should i have to pay any as a direct result of the work being carried out,

the contractor would of also been warned too,before they took a crowbar to it

As said the telephony contract is between yourself and the provider , they can only bill the account holder, should your council refuse to re reimburse any charges made,
Then take them to the small claims court , or withhold the rent payments until they do

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Jun-12 17:29:24
Print Post

He's obviously under tension!

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 29-Jun-12 18:03:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Ooooooo!

(regular) Sat 30-Jun-12 10:01:34
Print Post

I quite understand the way the system works to the advantage of suppliers. The repair is booked and I am not having to pay.
The biggest problem as far as I am concerned is the Plusnet grasp of reality and the written word, though I am sure every reply being from a different person who does not think to check what has gone before is the main problem. As you can see, they are STILL prattling on about internal damage and faults. I am sorry if I am considered as ranting, but I find them impossible to work with and consider monies already paid to Zen & Freeola well spent.
Latest PN reply:-
"Your appointment for a BT engineer has been booked for Wednesday 4 July 2012.

Please let us know if this needs rearranging. Please note, should the BT engineer find the cause of the fault to be on your internal wiring or setup then a minimum charge of £60 will apply.

I am placing this question so that we can continue to monitor the fault, please do not hesitate to get back in touch by replying to this question if we can be of any further assistance in the meantime.

Kind regards,

Lisa Omar-Stinchcombe "

Edited by professor973 (Sat 30-Jun-12 10:05:04)

(regular) Sat 30-Jun-12 11:44:34
Print Post

I realise it is bad form to reply to ones own post, but I can't wait. When the OpenReach engineer phones prior to next Wednesdays Plusnet arranged visit, I will cancel it. After all, it seems PN have directed them to an internal fault or damage.
I should add that the job is already done, with no charge to me as previously stated.
Service or what? :—}
So much for the Plusnet £60 charge. If I had had to pay, a call-out alone is £119 with all work £95 per hour— Clueless!

Edited by professor973 (Sat 30-Jun-12 13:45:26)

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Sat 30-Jun-12 12:18:55
Print Post

What happened then? Did the council send an Open Reach engineer to repair the damage with no cost to yourself?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 30-Jun-12 12:20:55
Print Post

Wouldn't it be more sensible to cancel it with PN immediately? Waiting for the engineer to call and cancelling it with him seems a very risky idea.

(regular) Sat 30-Jun-12 12:48:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:
What happened then? Did the council send an Open Reach engineer to repair the damage with no cost to yourself?

Nope.

Edited by professor973 (Sat 30-Jun-12 13:46:55)

(regular) Sat 30-Jun-12 12:57:12
Print Post

Wouldn't it be more sensible to cancel it with PN immediately? Waiting for the engineer to call and cancelling it with him seems a very risky idea.

We are talking PN here, what has sense to do with it? I would not want to upset their chaos. How is it risky? they can't charge me for something not done, especially as I am about cancel the DD. I have just paid PN for a months broadband up front from the 25th, so they will owe me money.

Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Sat 30-Jun-12 13:06:32
Print Post

Not too sure you know how the system works. It is not a Plusnet charge.

Plusnet are in the loop as your supplier however Openreach own and control the supply to your property. No ISP has any direct control of Openreach on a day to day basis, ISPs are just a conduit for any issues and report said issues requesting a visit. Whenever an Openreach engineer is requested by a user because of a fault there is the possibility of that Openreach will make a charge to the ISP, who will invariable pass that on to the end user.

This applies to all ISPs as Openreach must be even handed with all suppliers...this is a legal requirement. The ISP has done nothing wrong in advising you of of a possible charge, they would have been remiss in not doing so. No ISP could pass the charge to anyone to whom they have no contract.

As for the fault itself I would guess that Openreach would regard damage to their property on your land and by your landlord as chargeable....I find it hard to believe that they would not charge. There should never be a situation where Openreach does for one ISP what it would not do for another so if nobody is getting charged for this work the same would have applied to Plusnet. If Openreach repaired the fault due to a direct order from your Council all well and good,........... I guess they will get any bill if raised.

As regard this term internal fault it a general term as damage caused on your property is not a usual situation whereas problems pass the NTE5 are, I am sure the engineer would have assesd the situation on the visit.

Sadoldman

[email protected]
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Sat 30-Jun-12 13:09:41
Print Post

Nope — Sent by a phone supplier!

Not that sure that Openreach would look too kindly on that unless they sanctioned it.

Sadoldman

[email protected]
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Sat 30-Jun-12 13:19:18
Print Post

I thought for a moment a phone supplier had fixed it then I see that an Openreach engineer was used so ignore that last post.

I can only assume the phone supplier placed the order directly with Openreach and will be paying directly any charge or if not chargeable the same would have applied on the PN visit.

As I said, Openreach must treat all ISPs in the same manner.

Sadoldman

[email protected]
(regular) Sat 30-Jun-12 13:44:04
Print Post

Yes, the systems in place tie us up pretty well to their scandalously high charges. I am not one to evade what is due, but am not happy about possibly paying those prices when not at fault. My biggest problem is customer services that keep repeating drivel from the same crib-sheet regardless of what they are told.
Anyway, problem solved with no rules or laws broken — Onward and upward.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 30-Jun-12 13:48:01
Print Post

I repeat! Cancel the engineer visit with PN. As sadoldman says, they may get charged, and would almost certainly pass it on to you.

Cancelling the d/d is irrelevant. Or do you enjoy hassle?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 30-Jun-12 13:53:17
Print Post

Openreach will also charge an Abortive Visit Charge when:
Order cancellation charges are not applicable but appointments are cancelled or delayed after the contractual cancellation window. Each late appointment cancellation or delay, whether originated by End User, Communications provider or engineer ring ahead, will be charged for separately.
I suggest that the time the engineer calls you is outside the contractual cancellation window. Note - it says so! (Engineer ring ahead).

(regular) Sat 30-Jun-12 13:57:53
Print Post

I repeat! Cancel the engineer visit with PN. As sadoldman says, they may get charged, and would almost certainly pass it on to you.

Thrive on it!

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Sat 30-Jun-12 14:05:19
Print Post

It would be good if PN assigned small teams to deal with technical issues who can become familiar with an ongoing ticket. In the past, when trying to get a fault sorted by PN, I never communicated with the same person twice and, to cut a long story short, the only fix was to move to another ISP.

Please cancel your Open Reach engineers visit with PN soon though, the cancelled slot may be invaluable to somebody, perhaps with a disability or medical condition, who is dependant on a phone line.
(regular) Sat 30-Jun-12 14:16:08
Print Post

You could be right regarding someone else needing the slot. Moving away from PN was my answer to endless circles. They should stick to comedy videos, or scrap them and use the cash for customer service training. That is with the notable exception of the few sterling PN individuals that help here, possibly all that is holding the ship together. All I could get from them was 'Internal fault and £60 charge' endlessly repeated, which is a world away from over £200 for an hours work.

Edited by professor973 (Sat 30-Jun-12 14:38:22)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 30-Jun-12 14:48:01
Print Post

It would be good if PN assigned small teams to deal with technical issues who can become familiar with an ongoing ticket.

They do. I myself had a ticket through the ADSL2+ upgrade. Same guy throughout. Very helpful. I had to stick to my guns on a few points (e.g. forcing the line to 3dB, when he thought 6dB would be better), but otherwise a decent, if drawn out experience.

Sadly, the BT line reset, sync reset, profile reset (I forget which is which) added lots of waiting to the game.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 30-Jun-12 15:49:34
Print Post

Reading your posts you still don't seem to grasp the concept that the ISPs are contractually obligated to state about the " Please note, should the BT engineer find the cause of the fault to be on your internal wiring or setup then a minimum charge of £60 will apply. " bit. You seem to be taking it as some sort of personal afront that they mention this when they HAVE to state it because it is required by BT/Openreach before they send an engineer.

It DOES NOT matter that you have stated what happened, they still have to state it, because if the engineer turns up and finds the fault isn't what you said they have to be covered to charge the repair cost.

I kind of feel sorry for Zen, god help them if you need to log a fault call with them, you'll no doubt be moving to a new ISP when they have to state the exact same thing should an engineer be required.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 30-Jun-12 16:06:26
Print Post

Thrive on it!
So you are going to ignore the Openreach Price List quote I gave you in this post?

You stand a very high chance of an irrefutable charge from Plusnet. You are deliberately allowing a callout to go ahead when you know the problem has been solved.

crazy

(Or are you quietly going to cancel the callout because of what 4M2 said?)

(regular) Sat 30-Jun-12 16:15:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Reading your posts you still don't seem to grasp the concept that the ISPs are contractually obligated to state about the " Please note, should the BT engineer find the cause of the fault to be on your internal wiring or setup then a minimum charge of £60 will apply. " bit. You seem to be taking it as some sort of personal afront that they mention this when they HAVE to state it because it is required by BT/Openreach before they send an engineer.

It DOES NOT matter that you have stated what happened, they still have to state it, because if the engineer turns up and finds the fault isn't what you said they have to be covered to charge the repair cost.

I kind of feel sorry for Zen, god help them if you need to log a fault call with them, you'll no doubt be moving to a new ISP when they have to state the exact same thing should an engineer be required.

And you can't grasp that the Plusnet claim of a £60 charge, when the reality is £119 call-out plus £95 per hour is so wide of the mark it's verging on incompetence.
I have already stated I understand the system, but all I could get from PN, was a constantly repeated '£60 for internal faults' when we were talking an outside problem. There repetitive reply could easily be taken to mean no charge for outside repairs. Anyway, I will in my opinion be well rid.

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Sat 30-Jun-12 16:21:00
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

camieabz,

Is your adsl2+ upstream sync capped at 448K? I called PN sales the other day and was told that if I had a 21CN deal with them, possibly "extra" with a "pro" add on (which I had with them before with an uncapped adsl1 upstream sync) my upstream sync would be capped at 448K. According to sales the only way to get the upstream sync uncapped would be if there was a line fault or something like that...
(regular) Sat 30-Jun-12 16:25:26
Print Post

Thrive on it!
So you are going to ignore the Openreach Price List quote I gave you in this post?

You stand a very high chance of an irrefutable charge from Plusnet. You are deliberately allowing a callout to go ahead when you know the problem has been solved.

crazy

(Or are you quietly going to cancel the callout because of what 4M2 said?)

So you are going to ignore my reply Here
Please stop sniping, I am big enough and ugly enough to make my own decisions in life, especially when faced with anoraks. That is not intended toward you personally, but the know-all mentality of fora in general. People should not worry about me getting a bill that I would never pay anyway, though having an Openreach cousin helps ... Advice only of course ;—}

(regular) Sat 30-Jun-12 16:37:52
Print Post

Suggested reading for Plusnet staff.
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricin...

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 30-Jun-12 16:58:26
Print Post

So you are going to ignore my reply Here
Please stop sniping, I am big enough and ugly enough to make my own decisions in life, especially when faced with anoraks. That is not intended toward you personally, but the know-all mentality of fora in general. People should not worry about me getting a bill that I would never pay anyway, though having an Openreach cousin helps ... Advice only of course ;—}
I don't see how I can be ignoring it, seeing as I specifically refer to it. However, although you acknowledge he has a point, you don't say that you are taking any action.

The fact you replied to that and not to my post about the almost inevitable charge implies you ignored mine, big boy. I considered that very rude when genuinely trying to help you.

I'm afraid that refusal to pay a legitimate charge, especially when you had the opportunity to prevent it occurring, doesn't carry much weight in law. It merely makes debt-collectors and bad credit report entries likely.

You just raised an interesting question. Who repaired your cable break? An Openreach engineer called out by Zen, or your cousin? I fail to see how he could prevent a charge through legitimate processes.

(regular) Sat 30-Jun-12 17:43:03
Print Post

I'm afraid that refusal to pay a legitimate charge, especially when you had the opportunity to prevent it occurring, doesn't carry much weight in law. It merely makes debt-collectors and bad credit report entries likely.

were you lucky enough to be born such a nauseating pain in the backside, or did you study. I have already stated I did everything possible to pre-empt damage, so can you tell me Mr. clever-cloggs, what was the every opportunity I had to prevent it.
I have already stated I have no problem with charges where they are due, and that my biggest gripe was Plusnet incompetence, by continually referring to a charge of £60 for faulty or damaged wiring or equipment inside the property. This is so wide of the actual charges that it is incompetence in my book. I am sure they are not forced by law and B.T. to quote that absurd figure. Continually stating that and nothing else, implies there is no charge for work outside the property.
I have made these points over and over again, but despite considering yourself the high priest of TBB, you still don't grasp it. It is amazing the support that even a rubbish enterprise can foster with a little pyramid selling.
Before you make unfounded claims about my repair, I suggest you arm yourself with the facts. When I said my visit was booked through the proper channels, I meant it. It is no good throwing your dummy out of your pram just because it is not costing me. All of which is beside the point that my council had stated they would cover any bill I did get, a fact that could be checked via the Council phone number I supplied — Oh dear, the forum police removed it.
That is all from me on the subject, you will have to pontificate among yourselves.

Edited by professor973 (Sat 30-Jun-12 17:44:29)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 30-Jun-12 18:48:24
Print Post

camieabz,

Is your adsl2+ upstream sync capped at 448K? I called PN sales the other day and was told that if I had a 21CN deal with them, possibly "extra" with a "pro" add on (which I had with them before with an uncapped adsl1 upstream sync) my upstream sync would be capped at 448K. According to sales the only way to get the upstream sync uncapped would be if there was a line fault or something like that...

I'm on Extra, Pro uncapped at 1 Meg. I got it uncapped about a month before the change to ADSL2+ as a courtesy from Plusnet for another reason (not a PN foul-up). Generally the uncapped on ADSL1 is 'Max Premium' and costs £7.83pm (apparently a BT charge, passed through to the ADSL1 customers). See a similar thread in the PN section from 12-18 months ago, where I moaned a bit about the Max Premium costs.

As I understand it, Plusnet will switch you to uncapped on request, but there's a queuing system, and they're basically doing it on a first come, first serve basis. Try posting in PN section of PM'ig a PN rep and they might raise a ticket for you.

Uncapped ADSL2+ should be free by the way.

Don't pay too much attention to sales, or the front line staff when chatting about the technologies and techie stuff. Ask to talk to the faults team. I imagine the cost and time for switching folk for no financial gain isn't in any ISP's interests, so they probably don't want a rush.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.

Edited by camieabz (Sat 30-Jun-12 18:51:03)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 30-Jun-12 19:11:57
Print Post

You seem to be getting more and more irate and irrational. Also unnecessarily and childishly insulting.

All my recent posts about Plusnet being likely to charge arise from
I realise it is bad form to reply to ones own post, but I can't wait. When the OpenReach engineer phones prior to next Wednesdays Plusnet arranged visit, I will cancel it. After all, it seems PN have directed them to an internal fault or damage.
I should add that the job is already done, with no charge to me as previously stated.
which you still haven't said you will be cancelling earlier than the engineer's call ahead. Your reply to 4M2 was not indicative that you were, it merely acknowledged he had a point.

The earlier debate about a potential charge from PN , before the job had been done, was killed off long ago. Furthermore, in a very early post you asked about PN:- "Can they not read?". It appears you can but don't bother, and also comprehensively fail to comprehend what your eyes transmit to your brain.

Other extracts from your posts:-

1) Agitated reply to Plusnet.
2) Reply (to Plusnet, your bold and shouting) from angry user that cannot leave quick enough!
God give me strength. Are all Plusnet employees totally ignorant? What the hell do you mean a charge will be made if a fault is found with my internal wiring? I HAVE TOLD YOU MY DROPLEAD OUTSIDE MY BACK DOOR HAS BEEN SEVERED BY A DOOR REPLACEMENT ENGINEER FOR CHRISTS SAKE. Can you not read? It is little wonder I cannot wait to get away from Plusnet. Zen cannot come quick enough for me I'm afraid.

Wow!

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Sat 30-Jun-12 19:25:51
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

camieabz,

Thanks for the info - really appreciate it smile

I had the upstream sync on adsl1 uncapped a year or so back by PN due to problems uploading video files that were any larger than 100MB - the uncapping was suggested by me as an attempt to give the uploads a bit more impetus, PN agreed, no additional costs were imposed and the ticket was closed. Coincidentally or by design uploading large files was no longer a problem smile

Actually I'd rather have adsl+2 upstream uncapping agreed before returning to PN even on a monthly deal though...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 30-Jun-12 19:26:28
Print Post

Closed

To avoid people declaring world war three

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to