General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dw14
(newbie) Sat 12-Oct-13 18:27:52
Print Post

Re: Switch from Sky to EE? Contention

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

EE deal is £2.50/month BB if on their network which it says I am.
This is half price but also includes a £5 discount for being an Orange mob phone customer.

£11/month line rental and weekend calls if paid as a yearly amount.

I clicked through from TopCashBack where EE are giving you £105 cashback!

Total sum = £57 for a years BB and Phone Rental.

That looks like too good a deal to say no to but I am concerned that EE/Orange BB gets a very bad review.

Coming from Sky LLU, I don't want to suffer a worse service to save money but if it's a good/equivalent service then all systems go.
What are peoples thoughts on EE/Orange BB?

Thanks
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Oct-13 18:36:48
Print Post

[re: dw14] [link to this post]

It's fine for me but I'm not a heavy user. It's fast and mostly reliable (any glitches are usually due to BT messing about at exchange or cab, which can happen to anyone). Downside is phone support which is atrocious and, unlike others, they have no ticket reporting system.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User dw14
(newbie) Sun 13-Oct-13 23:01:06
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

So, would that be a recommendation then wink

Is the real problem not that it's a bad service technically but that the support is terrible?

Have not had a problem with my connection for a couple of years and that was even when I had a Zen Internet ADSL account.
As you said, it was a BT mucking about issue and Zen got it sorted.
Swapped from Zen to Sky for cost saving and it's been fine, connecting at approx 19Mbps.

I'm not a heavy user either, it just concerns me that cutting costs too much could lead to a fall and once signed up to a years contract.....

Edited by dw14 (Sun 13-Oct-13 23:01:57)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Oct-13 00:49:53
Print Post

I think it would be ok, however the supports probably worse than Sky (even if sky isn't amazing)

I would suggest ringing sky and going through to cancellations and explaining that EE have a better deal & that you are tempted to switch but you're happy with the quality of Sky and the service you have, explain that you wondered if they could offer you any deals to make you stay. If they say no, just say okay I'll stay with Sky anyway. I think they're going to offer you something though, I've had some pretty decent deals this way. It might not be AS cheap as EE but it might meet in the middle or something.

If not then switch smile I do stand by 'if it's not broke don't fix it' quite a lot though.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 14-Oct-13 00:50:16)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Oct-13 11:47:08
Print Post

Haven't used EE but personally anything that is lower than cost to deliver I would not be expecting too much from. If it is not a service you consider to be important then go for it but if you are a person that would be unhappy should the connection go down or customer service be bad then personally I would not touch it - it is too cheap.
Standard User dw14
(newbie) Tue 15-Oct-13 21:11:08
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone.

I have decided to cancel my EE order and stay with Sky who have now offered me free broadband for a year.

Going to try and get a new Sky Hub out of them as well to replace the Sky Sagem router I have.
I find the wireless signal not very good at all.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Oct-13 12:25:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by dw14:
Thanks everyone.

I have decided to cancel my EE order and stay with Sky who have now offered me free broadband for a year.
Free broadband for a year to stay with Sky, now that is an offer you cannot refuse. Consider EE broadband next year. wink

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Oct-13 13:08:31
Print Post

Is it the Sagem N router you have? If so the Sky hub isn't that much better, if it's the Sky G router then the Sky hub is worlds apart.

Both the Sagem N and Sky Hub are restricted by law in terms of output, so yes the sky hub has a few more antennas which gives better speed & stability, but overall range is similar, just within range the sky hub is supposed to be a bit better.
Standard User dw14
(newbie) Wed 16-Oct-13 13:58:07
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Yeah free BB for a year, good deal, will check on deals next year. My exchange looks like it will be Fibre enabled early next year so fingers crossed Sky will do a deal to upgrade.

My current router is:
Manufacturer Sagemcom
Model Number [email protected]
Firmware Version 6.14.6a4N_UNI
ADSL Firmware Version A2pD038m.d24h
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Oct-13 14:06:59
Print Post

Yep the WiFi isn't that much better on Sky Hub. Most WiFi products will give a similar range. If you need more range it's best to buy another router, connect the new router where signal is poor, then wire the new router to the Sky router. Name the wireless on the new router the same as the Sky router and have the wifi details and same pasword...

Disable DHCP on new router... The new router becomes a 2nd connection, giving great wifi in the poor signal area.

Your laptop phone etc will choose automatically between the 2 points depending on signal.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 16-Oct-13 14:08:23)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to