General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Dec-13 18:29:21
Print Post

Re: Who to change to?

[re: allie] [link to this post]

No.

The BT Wholesale network capacity makes Sky's look tiny, though Sky's is immense. Plusnet ensure their feeds from BT Wholesale are big enough, with daily checks keeping it ahead of customer growth.

If you look at these graphs, the green is the minimum latency on those connections, sampled every second and calculated every 100 seconds. In other words each vertical line represents the average of 100 tests. Blue is the average latency in the 100 seconds, and yellow is the peak.

(21CN is in effect an old and slightly inaccurate term for ADSL2+).

The solid red means the router is switched off. The yellow and blue on the ones I see there just indicate heavy use by the customer - congestion shows as hills at the same time and place on all. We have seen those when they got their forecasts wrong, but they soon sorted it.

You don't need to worry with either Sky or PlusNet.

But PLEASE check your estimate using the address checker I gave you the link to. Best to copy and paste the result here, for opinions on what it says.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 17-Dec-13 18:30:33)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Dec-13 18:32:56
Print Post

Not necessarily! They both use ADSL2+ but PN & other WBC ISPs will allow the NM to go down to 3dB on stable lines.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Dec-13 18:40:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cutoffs, schmutoffs! 1 man's router discon is another's 'failed to load webpage'. What matters here is not why AOL was so bad, but that most LLU & WBC ISPs will be superior.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Dec-13 18:48:11
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Nope - I'm not buying that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 17-Dec-13 18:51:00)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Dec-13 19:15:41
Print Post

Who do you have your calls and land line rental with?

Alastair

plusnet
Standard User allie
(newbie) Tue 17-Dec-13 19:52:39
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

BT although not really happy with their planned price increase in January lol!
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Dec-13 22:19:15
Print Post

If you go to Sky for BB then you'll have to move your phone (call+line rental) to them as well i.e. full LLU or MPF (Metallic Path Facility)

If moving from MPF back to WBC:- http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/migration.htm#LLU_migration

Alastair

plusnet
Standard User kamelion
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Dec-13 23:22:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
If you go to Sky for BB then you'll have to move your phone (call+line rental) to them as well i.e. full LLU or MPF (Metallic Path Facility)

If moving from MPF back to WBC:- http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/migration.htm#LLU_migration

No they won't. Sky aren't forcing anyone to move their phone line unless they are already with either O2 or BE for their phone line rental too.

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Dec-13 08:55:43
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

That's good, so does that mean if the OP decided to use Sky for the broadband connection and leave line rental/calls with BT the broadband service would be via Sky's LLU network?

Alastair

plusnet
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-Dec-13 09:25:17
Print Post

Yes.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to