General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User flippery
(committed) Sun 26-Jan-14 12:47:47
Print Post

Re: Thoughts on new ISP please.

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

TalkTalk are not the best company on Non Full LLU exchange.
The download speed is excellent for your attenuation but, maybe also causing your disconnections.
As Professor973 said maybe Freeola could be best ISP if, you can live with peak time load.
First month is half price and easy to migrate after 1 month if not satisfied.
If problems disappear, then I migration to plusnet can be on cards.

My problem with Freeola was not response but that they would not listen to being banded. Could just have been one off. Are quick to respond and easy to phone.

Edited by flippery (Sun 26-Jan-14 13:26:54)

Standard User Jax2
(newbie) Sun 26-Jan-14 15:38:13
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Yes the download speed is very good for the attenuation. Talk Talk have put the Target SNR up to 9 which has made no difference to the number of drop-out/disconnections. The speed has gone up since the Openreach Engineer's visits despite the Target SNR being raised, he said probably due to moving the twisted pair in the cabinet. I have seen the SNR as high as fifteen and then drop to -6 in an instant before reconnecting. Weird. This has been going on for months frown
Anyway I have requested my MAC which should be issued within the next 5 working days then decision time. Vivacity to look at too then, keeps me busy!
Standard User 961a
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 11:04:41
Print Post

Two things

I've been with Plusnet for about 6 years. In that time we've gone from dial up to 7meg, mainly by Plusnet badgering BT to correct faults on our very long line. Some of this has involved expensive underground work which I'm sure would not have happened without Plusnet intervention. On two occasions broadband faults on our specific line have been fixed within a couple of days using the Plusnet reporting system. They are also open to a haggle on price. For much of my 6 years I've been on individually negotiated terms and am currently on fair discount which I can't beat however hard I try. Line rental remains on BT annual contract

As to disconnections, have you tried another router. I suffered from this, and the speeds were rubbish as a result. I bought a Billion 7800n router with a broadcom chipset and the disconnections have stopped. We stay rock solid for months on end and, of course, speeds are up by more than a third

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jax2
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 12:30:08
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply.
In the end I decided to go to Zen and the migration for Broadband should happen tomorrow 4th Feb. I fully expect the fault to go with me because I think it is an intermittent line fault. It is Zen's hopefully superior support I am looking for plus the fact there is no long contract. I am moving my phone line to Zen too as it is cheaper than BT's rental and it might be better for fault solving if Zen have both Broadband and the Line as they cannot pass the buck for the line to somebody else with me pig in the middle between two providers who blame each other.
Yes I have tried 4 different routers: Billion 7800N, Draytek 270Vn, Netgear GG834G v3 and AOL's own Huwei Echolife HG 532. All drop the line in a similar fashion. Perhaps when I am connected to BT equipment in the exchange things will be different. At the moment, until tomorrow, I am on a Talk Talk shared LLU.

Edited by Jax2 (Mon 03-Feb-14 12:31:57)

Standard User 961a
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 14:02:05
Print Post

Wish you the best

If all these routers fail to do the business I wonder if the TT LLU is the problem

What I do know is that Zen are the guys for service so hopefully they will get to the bottom of the problem
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Feb-14 21:04:55
Print Post

Line is still owned and fixed by BT.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Jax2
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 22:32:59
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Thanks.
I know the line is run and maintained by BT (Talk Talk have their equipment in the exchange) and I fully expect the problem to follow me unless I am incredibly lucky and the Talk Talk LLU equipment in the exchange is the source of the problems which I doubt. I think and hope the difference is that Zen's support is better than Talk Talk's and that they are more willing to sort the problem out including involving BT where appropriate. Time will tell.
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Mon 03-Feb-14 23:08:10
Print Post

good choice with Zen, I cant fault them.

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User Jax2
(newbie) Wed 05-Feb-14 16:52:50
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Well day two with Zen.
Migration went as smooth as butter (as long as Talk Talk don't keep charging me after my contract with them is all paid up and finished!)
Day one four re-syncs.
Day two no re-syncs so so far I am a happy bunny. Speed up by 0.5 Mbs faster than the best Talk Talk could ever manage as a bonus. So much for my problems supposedly being caused by my filtered faceplate even when I was using dangly micro-filters plugged directly into the test socket!
I will never go back to Talk Talk even if they paid me!
Standard User flippery
(committed) Wed 05-Feb-14 17:55:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jax2:
Well day two with Zen.
Migration went as smooth as butter (as long as Talk Talk don't keep charging me after my contract with them is all paid up and finished!)
Day one four re-syncs.
Day two no re-syncs so so far I am a happy bunny. Speed up by 0.5 Mbs faster than the best Talk Talk could ever manage as a bonus. So much for my problems supposedly being caused by my filtered faceplate even when I was using dangly micro-filters plugged directly into the test socket!
I will never go back to Talk Talk even if they paid me!

Good result, long may it continue.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to