General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Apr-14 16:56:04
Print Post

Re: Who should I sign up with

[re: caley] [link to this post]

It's possible that ASDL24 or it's wholesaler if they used one, passed them on

i know they used daisy for their o2 wholesale stuff,

Well if you want faster speeds & also want to keep your line with BT so you need a ASDL2+ partial LLU (SMPF ) Which is what you had with ADSL24 over tt wholesale

If you took a TTwholesale service (broadband only ) via any of those isp's that resell it, you should see similar speeds to what you had before,

And unless they stipulate differently in their t&c's it will be a rolling monthly contract so mater which isp you choose,
Standard User caley
(regular) Sat 05-Apr-14 16:58:49
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Thanks for taking time to explain the sign up to me. Just what I needed to know. I've never had to sign up online before so don't know what to expect. I was looking at Xilo and their package of

Pro (LLU - TTB)
Usage allowances from 10 to 100GB

I already emailed them and they said I was ok for that package but to sign up online. That was the draw back for me but as you've explained it so well I now know what to expect using that process.I don't really need much usage as I only use about 4-5gb a month, so not a serial downloader. The important parts are keeping my phone line with BT, offers so much more flexibility when you want to move and a one month contract.
The speed I'm getting with Zen is at max 6.9mb but in the evenings can drop to 1-1.8mb. I've been running tests for a while now and more often than not the speed will drop in mid evening. I've given Zen a real try but it doesn't seem to be getting better. Perhaps it's not their fault but I have to look elsewhere if they can only supply BT speeds. Thanks for your help with this and the others too.

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
Caley's Pet Remembrance Tributes
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Apr-14 16:59:25
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Actually TT business do offer partial LLU broadband where you can keep your BT line (unlike their residential arm) its not something they show on their website, you need to call them to take that option

But at what cost? Ibet it will be a dam sight more than £4 per month, and possibly a longer than 12mths min term, the op would be better off IMO going with a reseller of the Wholesale variant

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Apr-14 17:04:44
Print Post

The ExSC would suggest that there has been and maybe still are issues within the exchange.

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Invern...

plusnet user
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Apr-14 17:14:48
Print Post

The extreme packages are C&W based which according to sam knows is available in your exchange this would also be ADSL2+ upto 24mbps down 1 mbps up
Extreme (LLU - C&W)
Unmetered
Static IP
No traffic management
Static Line Profiles
£12.49 +VAT
not a lot in it to not have to worry about going over the usage cap, but as for how they both compare in performance ect, i'm not too sure ,xilo should be able to tell you, But from what i have read they C & W aren't as flexable when it comes to setting line profiles , they like to use a higher target noise magin setting, which can mean that some sync speed gets sacrified for stabiliy (allegedly)
Also if you are a online gamer or use VIOP type apps, latency will be a factor, the lower the better for that sort of thing, again C & W don't or didn't like allowing fastpath ,to lower latency , interleave only increases it
Standard User caley
(regular) Sat 05-Apr-14 17:15:27
Print Post

Haven't you been following the saga "Coms migration. What could possibly go wrong?" and many other subjects. ADSL24 was bought out by Coms.com and turned the company into a big fiasco. I was lucky I managed to get my MAC before the big rocket took off. Lots of forum members are still stuck with Coms and their fifth class service. Do a search on Coms and get the whole story. I must say that one of their online admin guys was very good. Paulcoms got the invoices Coms kept sending me stopped. I didn't owe them anything but they couldn't work that out. PMd Paulcoms and he got them stopped very quickly.

Thanks gratefully for the advice you've given me which I will be taking first week.

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Apr-14 17:17:21
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

That won't affect the service quality the op sees if they switch away from bt 20cn ipstream, shudder shudder what a horrible service that was not helped by tiscali uk ,

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 05-Apr-14 17:24:05)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Apr-14 17:22:26
Print Post

Yeah i read those, but adsl24 or it's supplier may of passed on your details to tt business before they wrapped up and the what seems to be a useless coms took it over, and they would appear to of started throttling products that were previously not throttled ,is why nearly everyone is abandoning ship i can't say that i blame them, shifting the goal posts is never a good idea

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 05-Apr-14 17:23:15)

Standard User caley
(regular) Sat 05-Apr-14 17:54:59
Print Post

You could be right, they might have passed my details on. Never mind I managed to get away before the rot crept in but it didn't take long to creep in. I'll ponder over the weekend and if I get my MAC on Monday from Zen (already asked for it) then I'm sure it's Xilo that I'll go for. Did you say I'd have to pay £40 for going over to them? Well if I have to then I will. I'm so hoping to get the speed from them I got from ADSL24. If not then at least I'm on a 1 month contract and can look around again but I somehow think that I won't have too look for any other isp when I get to Xilo.

Caley.

Lost a Pet?
Remember them forever at
www.petremembrance.co.uk
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Apr-14 21:21:01
Print Post

Yes it says in the small print that the £40.00 migration fee will be added at checkout when you presumably will pay for the 1st month in advance, best of luck, though i don't think you will need it, as the old BT 20cn is somewhat of a legacy product, and doesn't take a lot to improve on it, In exchanges with BT 21cn (ADSL2+) enabled, they BT are stopping taking orders for 20cn from june this year

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 05-Apr-14 21:23:24)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to