General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Sat 25-Jun-16 12:59:52
Print Post

Re: Searching for new FTTC ISP

[re: edwin11] [link to this post]

Well, just over a week in now.
Initial problems where down to my hardware and a firmware flash and all disconnect issues went away.
Matt tweaked my SNR down to 6db and speed increased and very stable.

My day to day usage pattern including working from home with video calls, streaming NowTv, Plex, Iplayer, teenager constantly streaming youtube, playing online with XBox in parties are easily handled by ADSL2+.

Obviously downloading large files is slower that my old Infinity 1, but not an issue really as it is rare its that large and I'm in a real rush to get it.
Streaming out is a problem as upload is simply too slow, but its rare I wanted to do that, so if thats the only sacrifice, I can live with it.

I made this move with a view to upgrading to TTB Fibre when its goes live (what is the definition of 'Coming soon'?), but in all honesty, unless its only a little more £ than ADSL2+, I'll be hard pressed to justify upgrading, particularly if there are significant upgrade costs.

Is it worth moving to Uno? Well, I was lucky in that I had not tech support issues while with BT or Sky so can't really compare customer service, but I doubt anything can be better than Uno. Very quick and willing to help with problems and also maximise line capabilities. Matt runs 24/7 somehow!
I do miss BT Wifi, but thats about it. Never used the TV service, got a much cheaper mobile deal despite the £5 broadband customer discount.
Seems the whole operation relies on Matt, so if he were to leave, it might all change!
Its only been a week, but I have no regrets even though its technically a downgrade. Saving a good few quid too. Can't complain wink
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 25-Jun-16 23:37:57
Print Post

[re: MrMoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrMoo:
Is it worth moving to Uno? Well, I was lucky in that I had not tech support issues while with BT or Sky so can't really compare customer service, but I doubt anything can be better than Uno. Very quick and willing to help with problems and also maximise line capabilities. Matt runs 24/7 somehow!
The message I take away is that you needed technical support with Uno that you never did with Sky and BT.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Sun 26-Jun-16 00:26:35
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I see your point, although it turned out to be a hardware issue my side. When using your own hardware, rather than a supplied and configured router, I guess it introduces more complexities. The other support was to do with line settings.
Sky & BT would wash their hands of you if you called and said help me with my own equipment.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sallust
(learned) Thu 14-Jul-16 12:07:28
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

I have to admit I have become disheartened waiting for Uno's Talk Surf Fibre product to be released.

I need to make up my mind on Plusnet now, but there seems to be a paucity of decent alternatives. I would love to go with a smaller player, in the expectation of better service, but the price premium appears to be too great for me at the moment.

Pipex > Freedom2Surf > ADSL24 (Entanet) > O2 > Plusnet (FTTC)

Edited by sallust (Thu 14-Jul-16 12:08:08)

Standard User aparat
(regular) Thu 14-Jul-16 13:09:46
Print Post

[re: sallust] [link to this post]

Im in the same position. Been waiting to transfer to uno unlimited fibre but its still showing as coming soon.
Im thinking about pulse8 and aa but cant make my mind if i can pay 60 pounds for aa or if ill like no access to online account with pulse8
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Thu 14-Jul-16 14:25:28
Print Post

[re: aparat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by aparat:
Im in the same position. Been waiting to transfer to uno unlimited fibre but its still showing as coming soon.
Im thinking about pulse8 and aa but cant make my mind if i can pay 60 pounds for aa or if ill like no access to online account with pulse8

I joined Pulse8 at the end of last year and have to say I have not missed having an online account. I get my bill emailed once a month (shame you can't choose a payment date).

But CS is UK based (15 miles from me smile ) and whenever I have had an issue it has been resolved the same day. The added benefit being it is a rolling one month contract...

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User richi
(regular) Fri 15-Jul-16 10:00:17
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

My n=1 advice: Do it.

I moved from Plusnet to Pulse8 a few months ago. Nothing is too much trouble for Adam, Sam and the team. Email is answered quickly, at all hours of the day. The backhaul bandwidth is solid at peak times.

And they did a great job of getting my line sorted out when Openreach made a cockup. Having a higher priority for fault fixing is comforting.

[no connection with the company, except as a happy customer]

3 km line on THTG: 14500/1020 Mb/s with Pulse8
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Wed 20-Jul-16 22:14:11
Print Post

[re: richi] [link to this post]

Yeah, I must admit, the 'coming soon' is wearing a bit thin now on Uno, but I am very happy with ADSL2+ now and saving a few pounds in the process. CS is second to none.

I'm sure Pulse8 are an equally good choice if the upfront cost is acceptable. Basically you are paying for the 1 month contract option. I guess the logic is, someone who pays £75 isn't going to jump ship that quickly anyway, so its a little bit of insurance for pulse8 and piece of mind for customers. So many people take the 18 month deals a realize its far short of the promises and expectations and there is no way out!
Standard User Arksun76
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-16 19:23:27
Print Post

[re: MrMoo] [link to this post]

My vote goes to Cloudscape Connect , another small independent ISP.

I've had FTTC with them for 2 months so far and connections been good, haven't really noticed any throttling at all. Can stream 4K 60FPS video at any time of the day.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to