General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Apr-16 19:35:58
Print Post

Re: Searching for new FTTC ISP

[re: MrMoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrMoo:
The link to plusnet was a comment about Origin using Plusnet using BT. I think it was on the lines of PN are owned by BT and the deal with Origin was via plusnet to BTW. Not sure if that makes any difference though.

BT Wholesale actually push their wholesale (managed) connections over to Plusnet. So you'll get a Plusnet IP and so on. Reverse is usually in the format of "partnernameXXXXXX.pndsl.co.uk" and has not changed since they started pushing that back out in 2008/2009.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Fri 29-Apr-16 04:53:36
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Any date on this?

wouldn't mind upgrading my 2nd line laugh

BT Infinity 2 - 80/20
BT Infinity 2 Speedtest
BT Mobile - 4G
BT Mobile 4G Speedtest
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Apr-16 13:33:55
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

No date.

Register interest at https://www.uno.net.uk/packages/phone-and-broadband/ (before entering number) for Talk Surf Fibre and we'll email once live smile

Matt

uno Communications

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 29-Apr-16 13:54:25
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Hope you're live before the BT price increases kick in, could be a good opportunity there.
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Apr-16 18:13:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In the meantime, Uno are unmetered 8:00pm - 8:00am Monday to Friday and all weekends,which leaves me making just a small dent in 100gb.
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Sat 30-Apr-16 13:06:00
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
In the meantime, Uno are unmetered 8:00pm - 8:00am Monday to Friday and all weekends,which leaves me making just a small dent in 100gb.

Hmm, just done some number crunching on usage and it seems that 100Gb only in peak times is not bad after all. Had ruled out anything with usage caps thinking we are very high users, but most if it would be after 7pm and weekends!
Do you know if you can increase from 100Gb to 200Gb etc during the contract term or are you fixed at what you select at the outset?
If you are already on BT Fibre, is there any cost to migrate? Pulse8 charge £75 regardless. If there is no fee, could be tempted by this now. Rates are good.
Looks like my pefered list is all smaller isps where I need to supply my own router. Any recommendations?
Would like qos and feature to limit based on time etc also VPN is important to me. Currently run VPN Server on my microserver which works well, but to have it in the router would be good too. Do any of them offer vpn client so I can force selected traffic to a external vpn service?
Would I be better to pick up an openreach modem and separate router?

Also professor, I know from other forum posts you moved from Pulse8 to Uno. Do you think Uno are better? I know you seemed to like Pulse8 too. Just wondered as to the reason for the move?
Thanks

Edited by MrMoo (Sat 30-Apr-16 13:08:42)

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Apr-16 14:10:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrMoo:
Do you know if you can increase from 100Gb to 200Gb etc during the contract term or are you fixed at what you select at the outset?

Yes, you can go up from the package you start on and back down to that within the first 12 months. After that time, you can change around as you please.

If you are already on BT Fibre, is there any cost to migrate? Pulse8 charge £75 regardless. If there is no fee, could be tempted by this now. Rates are good.

£11 - the cost BT charge for migrations.

Would I be better to pick up an openreach modem and separate router?

Generally not. There are some really good all in one routers on the market these days, that do have good hardware. We offer two ZyXEL routers which are on the approved modem/router list from Openreach and work well.

Matt

uno Communications
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Apr-16 21:20:37
Print Post

Pulse8 sorted my long term line problem that needed a repair that freeola/Zen did not. After the repair, Pulse8 said I still had noise and errors on my line, so I was set on an interleave depth of 64 and snr of 12db, though according to some here it must be my fault lol.
When I moved to Uno, I took the same resold TTB LLU, but find I have a trouble free line. There was a £5 saving over Pulse8 for ADSL2+ which I downgraded to from FTTC prior to the switch, as Uno FTTC TTB LLU is not quite up and running yet, though FTTC is available from them if you have a BT line. There was also a superb control panel which allows profile control, it's own BQM similar to the TBB one and call records with a complete breakdown on when calls made. I have found the Uno tech knowledge and customer service superb with a slight edge over Pulse8, but totally recommend Pulse8 if their packages suit you. The only thing that gives me itchy feet at the moment is waiting to get back to FTTC - My BQM is superb and hanging onto 3db target with the Billion 7800N.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/69baefcce1e...
http://postimg.org/image/3qfiprytt/
http://postimg.org/image/exygs4cup/
http://postimg.org/image/kllk8des1/

Edited by professor973 (Sat 30-Apr-16 21:41:17)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-May-16 09:53:35
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

It's a shame, as for me UNO are too expensive for my connection to a 20CN exchange and other resellers charge similarly for their packages when a 20CN exchange is involved, not their fault as they are charged more by BT.

http://s32.postimg.org/e19mgtdxx/UNO_20_CN_exchange.png

Can't see the rural exchange being upgraded to 21CN as it only serves around 230 premises, all the lines are EO as well.

Edit: looks like it's PN for another year when that renewal time comes around again. tongue

plusnet user

Edited by Apprentice (Sun 01-May-16 10:18:38)

Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sun 01-May-16 10:26:23
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

looks like it's PN for another year when that renewal time

I found that plusnet would offer me no discount when I came to renew (on my 20CN exchange)
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to