General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Tue 10-May-16 12:28:10
Print Post

Re: Searching for new FTTC ISP

[re: uno] [link to this post]

So while I patiently wait for the Uno TTB FTTC offering, I've decided on my router set-up and ordered.
Gone for an Asus RT-N66W N900 with a view to put DD_WRT then I can use router instead of my micro server for gateway, vpn etc. Picked up a cheap openreach modem for the connection side.
Would have gone for combined unit, but DD_WRT only seems to be available for routers, not combined units.

So the ISP decision is coming to a head. I suspect the Uno package is more than a month or 2 away (just gut feel) which is a shame, but without knowing exactly what I am waiting for (migration costs (Btw to TTB rather than £11 BTW - BTW), monthly fees etc), I think I need to accept the Pulse8 fees and hopefully that means I can get engineer visit to replace my old faceplate that has seen better days. Can anyone enlighten me as to what is in the remit of the engineer? The wire outstide is badly stretched to the entry point, IF they sorted that and replaced face plate, it might be worth it.
Keep getting distracted by some of the good offers out there like the free fibre from SSE, but traffic management and FUP plus 18 month contract :-/. Voda and their enforcement of using their equipment etc. Guess you do get what you pay for in broadband land.
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Tue 10-May-16 13:18:55
Print Post

[re: MrMoo] [link to this post]

Professor, re-reading your story, will you be able to upgrade to Uno FTTC TTB when it comes online? Are you not in a contract for adsl2 now for 12 months meaning you would have to pay out contract?
Would I be able to migrate to Uno from BT Fibre to talk surf package? Would that incur a cost of £40 or be free as per Telephone and Broadband in price list?

Edit: Just seen ADSL is 1 month contract. Now just waiting to find out if FTTC -> ADSL would incur £40 charge as per price list or if telephone and broadband free migration would apply. Think I know the answer. Wonder if I can downgrade with BT to ADSL for free prior to leaving without invoking a new 12 month contract. Would there then be an upgrade fee to Fibre when it becomes available from Uno Talk Surf to Talk Surf Fibre?

Edited by MrMoo (Tue 10-May-16 18:15:56)

Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-May-16 20:15:53
Print Post

As far as I am aware, I can switch back to FTTC with no problems when TTB LLU FTTC up and running with Uno. Already being on TTB unbundled FTTC, I had to downgrade to LLU ADSL before the switch to UNO. No fee via Pulse8 though.

Edited by professor973 (Tue 10-May-16 20:21:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Boogit
(newbie) Sun 15-May-16 08:44:01
Print Post

I am just in the process of transferring to Unocomm from BT Infinity 2. I know the packages are not in place with Unocomm as yet, however as I have got out of my contracts with BT because of the prices going up again and I had enough you have to decide what you are going to do you only have 30 days from the date of the email (14 days if you are migrating). I did mention though that this was a temporary stop gap and once they have the new packages are in place I will upgrade to one of those. I am very very happy with the way things are going and it is refreshing when you have questions with a new ISP they are answered promptly with no fuss and you don't get passed from pillar to post.
Standard User sallust
(learned) Mon 16-May-16 14:01:53
Print Post

I have registered interest for this (UNO package via TTB with phone). I have a couple of Plusnet FTTC accounts that are coming out of contract soon.

One question:

I had a look on your Support pages to look into whether your bundled phone packages suport the use of other telephone providers via shortcodes (18185 etc.).

It says:"For our Talk Surf bundled packages, call-override numbers are not supported and are unlikely to work."

I assume this is to do with these packages being delivered using the TalkTalk phone network, but that long-form access numbers can be used. Is that right?

Could I choose instead to take your standard phone line via Openreach, but still have FTTC broadband delivered by TalkTalk LLU? Are there likely to be significant extra costs if I do that?

Pipex > Freedom2Surf > ADSL24 (Entanet) > O2 > Plusnet (FTTC)
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-May-16 14:05:37
Print Post

[re: sallust] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sallust:
I assume this is to do with these packages being delivered using the TalkTalk phone network, but that long-form access numbers can be used. Is that right?

If you mean standard dialled numbers such as 01, 02, 03, 08 etc - they will work just fine. It is just the 4-6 digit override codes that do not.

Could I choose instead to take your standard phone line via Openreach, but still have FTTC broadband delivered by TalkTalk LLU? Are there likely to be significant extra costs if I do that?

Yes, SMPF services are always more expensive but, at least initially, FTTC via TTB will be MPF only.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-May-16 14:57:26
Print Post

Not 100% sure but don't think there's many if any of the smaller/resellers phone service providers that give you the use of 18185 or other overide numbers.

The two I contacted last year certainly didn't at that time.

plusnet user
Standard User sallust
(learned) Mon 16-May-16 16:38:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by uno:
Yes, SMPF services are always more expensive but, at least initially, FTTC via TTB will be MPF only.

Matt

Thanks. So have I got things straight?

Currently, your FTTC broadband service is exclusively based on the Openreach network, and you can get phone service as well (WLR/MPF). You can get one without the other and there are no bundles.

You are also planning to introduce FTTC broadband based on TalkTalk's network. When first introduced, this will be available only as a package with phone service, but later might be available as a separate service (SMPF). Bundles are initially compulsory, but later may be optional!

Pipex > Freedom2Surf > ADSL24 (Entanet) > O2 > Plusnet (FTTC)
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Mon 16-May-16 16:43:46
Print Post

Come on Uno, get your finger out with the TTB FTTC packages wink
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-May-16 17:50:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by sallust:
Thanks. So have I got things straight?

Currently, your FTTC broadband service is exclusively based on the Openreach network, and you can get phone service as well (WLR/MPF). You can get one without the other and there are no bundles.
I seem to remember from another recent thread that you can't have uno line rental without uno broadband of some kind or other. You can have their broadband with third party line rental, and of course a bundle.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to