General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-May-16 17:53:05
Print Post

Re: Searching for new FTTC ISP

[re: MrMoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrMoo:
Come on Uno, get your finger out with the TTB FTTC packages wink
Negotiating with TTB seems to be a very slow and exhausting process, as I've seen from AAISP and a third ISP. I'm sure Matt wants to get the service up and running as soon as possible, but the contract between TTB and uno needs to be right.

Else uno and their customers suffer.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 00:14:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well, I think after the longest deliberation ever (and Uno teasing with the talk surf fibre package) I think I've decided to go with Pulse8 for now.
As its only a month contract, if the TSF package from Uno turns out to be amazing, I can jump ship to them knowing my £75 fee to Pulse8 would have at least given me a nice new faceplate as mine is currently looking a little battle wary.
I've been monitoring my usage on the new router and seems I would easily fit within the 500Gb peak time package (using approx 10Gb per day), but the thought of having to watch habits of a teenage son and be careful about day time streaming etc was something I could do without. Also the realisation that the Uno prices exclude VAT meant that any idea of jumping on the current fibre packages was suddenly slightly less attractive.
I'll sleep on it over night, but other than the £75 up front, there is little risk and could easily claw that back by going back to BT Fibre on a TCB deal if it turned out not to be for me wink
Suspect I will be an Uno customer is the future.
Thanks to all that have commented and offered advice, particularly Matt from Uno and Professor. I will report back once I've done the deed!
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-May-16 00:43:35
Print Post

The Uno TTB fibre was quoted as "soon" when I joined en Feburary. Not sure it's any closer now.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 10:08:58
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

I am in the same situation as you.Not sure if i can to wait for Uno or maybe to wait for feedback from SSEUltra fibre and anytime calls @ £21.Seems a good offer,but Daisy?Just wish Uno would give an indication of when.
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 11:04:34
Print Post

[re: edwin11] [link to this post]

Agreed it would be good to know a ball park when the Talk Surf Fibre may be available, but can understand that Uno don't want to say a date and it keep slipping. Seems doing business with TTB is not to be rushed.
I understand the 'Soon' has been since the turn of the year, so its 6 months now. Could mean its really close now, but could also mean another 6 months +?
Sure I saw somewhere that another ISP (AAISP?) had a long wait to go live with TTB too so there is history.

The SSE does look tempting on the surface, but seems there is possibly some hidden surprises like low FUP and aggressive traffic management, peak time slow downs, migration issues and customer service issues and an 18 month contract. I know you have to take things into context, particularly with reviews online. There tends to be end of the world rants over trivial and not so trivial issues, but silence when a service just works. The only exception is when a service is exceptionally good and people like to shout from the rooftops how good it is (AAISP for example and Uno to a slightly lesser extent).

What I find quite interesting is that people tend to accept the restrictive limits and expense imposed by AAISP because they don't hide it and offer exceptional support. Conversely, if a company hides stuff in small print like FUPs and traffic management, the views are (quite rightly) negative.
From my research it seems that AAISP impose an effective 100gb FUP (varies based on what you want to pay upto 1Tb) and then traffic manage anything above that limit to 2Mb/s.
It seems transparency goes a long way to improving perception.

Edited by MrMoo (Wed 25-May-16 11:06:01)

Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-May-16 11:25:33
Print Post

Dropped a general enquiry to Uno this morning covering a few things. IPv6 and TTB LLU to name a couple, so hope we may get a rough timeframe. Reguarding usage limits, particularly the silly priced AAISP 1GB service which is still limited, I find totaly rediculous. Many ISPs give very good service and unlimited. Then there is Uno, which is unmetered from 8:00pm to 8:00am and ALL weekends. I am streaming video every day keeping up with our racehorses and I only use about a quarter of my 100gb, Most folks heavy video and download usage is evenings and weekends, so it's just the wait to get back to FTTC.

Edited by professor973 (Wed 25-May-16 11:27:42)

Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 12:06:56
Print Post

Very good comments.Imay just go Plusnet Fibre with TCB.Iwish Uno never mentioned TTB unlimited.Why can they not give a rough idea is it days weeks or months so frustrating
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 14:00:27
Print Post

[re: edwin11] [link to this post]

Completely agree with you Professor973. Its totally unfair to put Unos data allowances in same category as the others as it is a just in peak business hours. I always assumed that ISPs paid for bandwidth from the wholesale suppliers regardless of time, but if its charged at different rates based on time of day, then Unos model is much more honest and transparent.
As tempted as I was with the Uno BTW fibre offerings and the fact that I suspect I wouldn't even used half of the top tier 500Gb plan, the out of allowance charges are expensive and could easily rack in up in just a few days. If it followed AAISP model where after allowance, its throttled back, I think that would be easier to take, but 0.80 + VAT per GB could add up quickly. Its very unlikely to ever kick in for me, but just the thought of knowing it *could*.

edwin11, don't let me put you off SSE. Its a stonkingly good deal on paper if you don't fall foul of their FUP etc, but what puts me off is that if you find its restricting you, you have 17 months remaining contract to ride out or pay off. PN gets its fair share of complaints also,. but I think their reasoning for traffic management is much more just and transparent. It sounds more like its done to protect the customer experience i.e. downloading a large file over P2P in the background while trying to stream a movie would be managed as to not affect the streaming or voip call or gaming etc. Thats how I read it anyway.
Agreed with the coming soon bit though. It plays on your mind that you should wait, but the wait seems ongoing. My guess is that Uno expected it to be much quicker to come to fruition than this. Maybe if its not imminent, it might be best to remove it from the site until its real close to go live?

Edited by MrMoo (Wed 25-May-16 14:07:17)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 25-May-16 14:22:38
Print Post

In the case of BT Wholesale ISPs do not pay for the number of GBs used. They pay for the maximum throughput they require, so max Gbps. I don't know about TalkTalk Business Wholesale.

On the BT Wholesale side, which in the past and I expect still, the smaller ISPs often have a large base of true business customers, typically having considerable daytime throughput needs. As these customers pay for better performance, speed reliability and ISP reaction to problems than consumers normally expect to pay they need to buy sufficient throughput capacity from BTW.

The aim of the two-tier consumer pricing originated as preventing loads of consumer daytime streaming/torrenting, as that uses a lot of throughput. Come the evening and overnight, the businesses largely need far less, so the ISP has the throughput capacity to allow these heavy use applications. They can therefore allow unlimited usage - and increase the incentive not to do it during daytime.

To what extent this still applies with uno I do not know. I have just explained the origin of the two-tier system in days when BTW capacity cost much more, but demands in general were far less.

On the support side similar applies. Firstline consumer level support is rarely more technical than script-reading and telling people where to plug what in, and where the powers switch is. The ones like uno probably find it easier and cheaper not to have that grade of support, as they don't have literally several hundred thousand or millions needing it. Hence the support you get is business grade expertise.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59240/14753kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 14:26:53
Print Post

The main thing with me is BT have given me 30 days to move,now down to 20 days ,i am not sure what to do, am tempted by Uno Talksurf Adsl just to get me thro until their TTB unlimited is announced.Or wait for feedback by the many people going over to SSE.Decisions Decisions
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to