General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Thu 26-May-16 11:19:53
Print Post

Re: Searching for new FTTC ISP

[re: edwin11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by edwin11:
Thank you for your valued info.The problem is i dont have all the information i need to make a definate choice.with a limited time to hang about.Anyway did you press that button to signup with Pulse8 or are you still pondering.Bought a Billion ADSL/VDSL router to cover both alternatives.

Personally I think you're idea of joining Uno on a month to month ADSL2+ is a good one if you're happy to drop from fibre for a while. For most instances I don't think you'll miss the higher download speeds. If you take a look around, the recommended streaming of SD content is in the 2-3Mbps range so ADSL2+ should in theory handle 2 or 3 simultaneous streams with plenty to spare. Its something on my mind too as it may prove enough to stay on for a bit.
The down side is the max 1Mb upload speed. I sometime stream to my mobile from home servers and other devices which would mean I couldn't do that any more, but it is rare I do it to be fair. The other is you will have to pay FTTC upgrade fee again when it comes on line, but you would have saved that anyway with ADSL2, and obviously the equipment requirements is another issue but seems that you seem to have sorted anyway.
I've still not done anything as although I am keen to resolve this, I am at the end of my contract so on rolling month to month so not under any time pressure like you are. I think ultimately I would like to jump onto Uno, so could save myself a bit by just waiting a while where I am or maybe trying as you suggest and Professor973 has done with ADSL2+ with Uno. For that I'd need to get some extra hardware as my router isn't a modem/router. On reflection, my best bet is patience!
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Fri 27-May-16 16:38:29
Print Post

[re: MrMoo] [link to this post]

Despite making my mind up to go with Pulse8 the other night, I now find myself once again closer to going for Uno. Got myself a cheap Draytek 120 ADSL2 modem so I could consider joining the Talk Surf package as you were thinking Edwin11 and Professor973 has already done.
After monitoring my traffic pattern streaming and kaning it with 1 iplayer, 1 netflix, 1 nowTv, 3 youtubes, and 1 other streaming service all at once, I recorded a max 3452.85 Kbps on the router. Can this be so? If that is right, assuming I get an ADSL speed around 15Mb/s I could run that almost 4 times over with no problem?
What have I got wrong?
Maybe I don't need fibre at all? Only thing I may miss is the upload speeds. The worst we tend to do is have 3 streaming Tv services, online gaming with Xbox and a couple of phones connected. Way less than my test above. I don't torrent anything, occasionally download a linux ISO.
If the above is correct, I think I would be best to join Uno on ADSL2+ with a view to staying that way for a while wink
Anyone confirm that kind of throughput at once is realistic on ADSL2+?

If I understood an inquiry response I got from Uno a while back, taking their Talk Surf package coming from Infinity 1 would not incur any fees for downgrading either smile

Edited by MrMoo (Fri 27-May-16 16:40:31)

Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Fri 27-May-16 18:04:37
Print Post

If i got 15Mb/s per second i would certainly stay with ADSL2+.Seems very quick are you next door to the Exchange. SSE cashback now up to £142 but is it really worth it very tempted.Had a word with them they say they only throttle p2p.Also said if speeds go down they would send a BT engineer first and if no problems found they would allow early cancellation.But is it worth it that is my decision i suppose.

Edited by edwin11 (Fri 27-May-16 18:07:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-May-16 21:47:05
Print Post

That would run three HD streams. I often have four video streams running here at once on Uno ADSL 13Mbps. If I am honest, all I miss from FTTC is upload and big download speed, but that is only a small proportion of use. In reality, many don't need the speed of FTTC, let alone the cost. Loss of TTB service in the early hours - Fired Uno a ticket at 3:30am this morning. Reply from Matt at 5:10 this morning. 1hr 40 mins instead of the usual 15mins. Very good considering the hour and sure the guy never sleeps lol

Edited by professor973 (Fri 27-May-16 21:48:15)

Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Fri 27-May-16 22:33:01
Print Post

Hmm, maybe my 15Mb/s is optimistic although samknows is saying 14.5 or greater. I've been fibre for a few years now since it was a good intro deal at the time, not because I had speed issues with ADSL. Just looking at the TBB maps, it seems low teens is realistic.
Considering the cost difference, monthly contract, and the fact that Uno seem to squeeze every drop of extra speed out of the line I think its worth a go while waiting to Talk Surf Fibre.
Thanks for confirming my assumption that multiple streams could run on ADSL which is excessive, but a nice comfort zone.

Edited by MrMoo (Fri 27-May-16 23:55:44)

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Sun 29-May-16 12:11:21
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

Just wanted to say. Now over a week in with Aquiss and they have been amazing! Fast response times to any tickets/questions and really knowledgeable

Speeds are great as well! smile

CJT.

On Aquiss 80/20 - Speed Test
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Sun 29-May-16 22:18:11
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

I finally succumb to Uno and signed up. Just on ADSL2+ for now and see how that goes as its only month to month. Hopefully the Talk Surf Fibre will follow before too long and give me an upgrade option. At the moment, I'm optimistic that this may be enough for me. Got just over a couple of weeks until I switch over smile
Glad to hear one of my early contenders Aquiss is living up the to the hype. Its great to find that the smaller ISPs are really delivering in a big boys market.
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Sun 29-May-16 22:20:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by edwin11:
Right i think i have made my mind up.Going Uno Talksurf ADSL them onto Fibre if reasonable cost.Also if it is ok to do it,and wonder if that would be a free migration to Fibre from ADSL.Or of course something else may pop up tomorrow.

Edwin, did you also pull the trigger on this? I too hope the upgrade costs will be reasonable otherwise if I feel I need Fibre again, I'll have to jump back to a big player for cost reasons. I suspect LLU TTB to FTTC TTB will be ok though.
Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Sun 29-May-16 23:21:51
Print Post

Yes i jumped in with both feet last night.Received an email from BT first thing this morning,sorry you are leaving stuff.Like you signed up to ADSL+.Matt at Uno must be a Robot he answers message at crazy times.Thanks Moo and Prof for your comments

Edited by edwin11 (Sun 29-May-16 23:27:17)

Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Mon 30-May-16 00:04:52
Print Post

Sounds like we jumped in together at the same time. Got my email from BT on the same night (28th) warning my mobile discount will stop; so ordered a cheaper contract from elsewhere - double win laugh and looking to complete by 17th June. Will be interesting to compare experiences as we switch over.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to