General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Fri 17-Jun-16 11:56:14
Print Post

Re: Searching for new FTTC ISP

[re: MrMoo] [link to this post]

My crude but real world speed test is holding up on ADSL2+.
Simultaneous NowTv, Plex remote stream (HD), Iplayer live and Youtube(1080p) all together with no stuttering. Thats more than I expected tbh. Real test will be when my boy arrives home in a minute and puts it to the test!
Speed tests showing around 9Mbps currently but line db is currently 13db so maybe some scope to improve things when control panel goes live. Still saying pending.
At the moment, this suggests I may well stay on ADSL2+ for a while wink
Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-16 15:06:18
Print Post

Hi i am sailing along on 0.9.kbs on Daisy network.Are you on Daisy or are you on TTB on Ookla speedtest .Suppose it may settle down to 3 mbs if im lucky.

Edited by edwin11 (Fri 17-Jun-16 15:07:05)

Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Sat 18-Jun-16 12:03:26
Print Post

[re: edwin11] [link to this post]

Mine comes up Xilo Communications on speed test. Does yours say Daisy? If I do a tracert I can see daisyplc are in there though.
My speeds are showing at the lower end of my expected range, but SNR is 13 currently so some tweaking may bring it up?

At the moment, I'm fighting with a Draytek 120 as I'm getting very regular reconnects which I suspect it the Draytek. Can be a couple of hours or a couple of minutes (mainly the latter) and getting Carrier lost or port error problems. Raised a ticket last night and Matt answered within minutes at around midnight! I suggested I disconnected draytek and connected unlocked HG612 which appears to have remained connected for 7 hours solid.

Despite the slightly disappointing speed figures, I can comfortably stream simultaneously all over the house (until I get a dropout!)

I think my problem is hardware related with the Draytek, but I've updated firmware this morning and its holding up for over an hour so far. Might pick up another cheapy on ebay as backup though.

Very happy with real use speeds and support responses. Just need to sort the dodgy hardware and then hopefully squeeze a bit more out of the line.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Sat 18-Jun-16 13:10:56
Print Post

Knew it was Daisy i connected as soon as line went live the test came up as Daisy Telecom. I have had a word with TTB they confirm i am not on their Network.Speed now 2.5Mbps on 6 SNR.No phone line either .Not one of my better ideas this switch.Might as well have gone with SSE Fibre on Daisy.Daisy are supposed to be one of the cheapest options for resellers i hear.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Jun-16 13:17:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by edwin11:
Hi i am sailing along on 0.9.kbs on Daisy network.Are you on Daisy or are you on TTB on Ookla speedtest .Suppose it may settle down to 3 mbs if im lucky.

You've got a phone line fault (one leg dis). The engineer that did the work at the cabinet, did it wrong. This would cause slower than expected rates for the DSL.

Due to the situation you mentioned on your ticket raised yesterday afternoon (17:19), we raised to Openreach and they dispatched an engineer to site at 10:54 today.

Speeds will increase once that is resolved as explained in your other ticket.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Jun-16 13:19:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrMoo:
Despite the slightly disappointing speed figures, I can comfortably stream simultaneously all over the house (until I get a dropout!)

That will be the higher/default SNR margin on TTB. That can be lowered and the rates will increase wink

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Sat 18-Jun-16 13:22:06
Print Post

Like I say, although mine shows Xilo on speedtest, a traceroute does suggest Daisy are involved somewhere. When I spoke with BT they quoted they can see I was going to daisy.
Difference is, you are only on month to month with Uno. SSE is 18 months and I believe there is a lot of traffic management and FUP which their isn't on Uno.
Are you finding it too slow to do your normal things? Hopefully Talk Surf Fibre isn't too far away now.
My get out clause if this didn't work out and TSF didn't materialise was to go to pulse8 and swallow the £75 fee for month to month fibre.
As long as my connect remains stable (has for 3 hours now - a record since joining yesterday!), I'm happy to stay put.

Edited by MrMoo (Sat 18-Jun-16 13:24:49)

Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Sat 18-Jun-16 13:29:38
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Thanks Matt.
Not counting my chickens just yet, but since firmware upgrade, things looking better.

Is the SNR something that can be done through the control panel or I have to request it? Seem to recall seeing it can be done on the portal?
***** Just seen your reply on ticket. I'll drop you a line once things are settled down a bit about SNR

I'll sit tight for a while to see if I can get 24 hours connected first.

Edited by MrMoo (Sat 18-Jun-16 13:32:50)

Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Sat 18-Jun-16 14:30:35
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Hi Matt,can you confirm we are on Daisy and not TTB.as they told me my number is not on their Network(TTB) I

Edited by edwin11 (Sat 18-Jun-16 15:08:26)

Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Sat 18-Jun-16 15:06:55
Print Post

Looks like someone has just been to the cabinet, speed now 8 mbps.

Edited by edwin11 (Sat 18-Jun-16 15:07:45)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to