General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Wed 27-Apr-16 13:57:45
Print Post

Searching for new FTTC ISP

[link to this post]

Hi all,
My deal with Infinity 1 is now at an end and I'd like to move to a new ISP.
My requirements are unlimited usage, 12 month contract max, ideally 80/20 but happy with 38/10. Preferably no port blocking, aggressive traffic shaping or contention issues, reasonable price, no exit fee issues I seen some have, Good CS - don't nessasarliy need instant answer or 24hr cover, but effective and not a pass around the call centre/palm off type affair.

I've narrowed it down to the following:

Aquiss - Consistently rated highly. Very personal service by the sounds of it. Potentially exit fees?
Pulse8 - TTB backed, one month contracts but with £75 up front fee, but well priced Fibre plans with included line rental
Zen - Highly rated, seem to have their own backbone (if enabled at exchange, otherwise just like all the rest?)

From what I have read here and elsewhere, all of these piggyback on either BTW (BT Wholesale) or TTB (TalkTalk Business). Zen have no presence on my exchange therefore I guess they don't have their own back-haul here.

I see that TTB are well regarded as a backbone provider, just not retail. Does that mean that TTR do not use TTB as there backbone or is it just a customer service issue? i.e. performance on TTR is the same as TTB or do they run separately and have different SLAs?
In general, is there a preference between BTW and TTB?

Also, do Vodafone have their own back-haul? Saw somewhere that they acquired C&W. If thats true does that mean they don't use BTW or TTB? Vodafone have presence at my exchange. Are they worth considering?

I did consider Origin for a while but seems they resell plusnet who use BTW. Kinda put me off a bit. Too many hoops? Reviews mixed also.

Any others I should consider?
Thanks
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Apr-16 08:19:40
Print Post

Re: Searching for new FTTC ISP

[re: MrMoo] [link to this post]

The only time you might have a fee to exit is if you "Cease" the service (it is charged by Open Reach) but none should charge you if you migrate to another provider.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 28-Apr-16 09:56:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrMoo:
Hi all,
My deal with Infinity 1 is now at an end and I'd like to move to a new ISP.
My requirements are unlimited usage, 12 month contract max, ideally 80/20 but happy with 38/10. Preferably no port blocking, aggressive traffic shaping or contention issues, reasonable price, no exit fee issues I seen some have, Good CS - don't nessasarliy need instant answer or 24hr cover, but effective and not a pass around the call centre/palm off type affair.

I've narrowed it down to the following:

Aquiss - Consistently rated highly. Very personal service by the sounds of it. Potentially exit fees?

From the Aquiss website they advise:
If I want to end my contract, is there a charge?
Maybe, depending on what your looking to do. If you are not moving your broadband service to another ISP, known as migrating, there would be a £40.00 Broadband Cease fee. However, if you have decided to move your active broadband service to another Internet Provider (migrating away from Aquiss), no Broadband Cease Fee would be applied by Aquiss, as long as the new provider follows the correct migrating procedures. Of course, if there are any remaining months left on your minimum contract to complete, you would need to settle these in full. It should be noted that a Broadband Cease Fee would also be triggered if your telephone service is cancelled causing our broadband service to be ceased.

Pulse8 - TTB backed, one month contracts but with £75 up front fee, but well priced Fibre plans with included line rental

Pulse8 do seem to have some "unusual" charging schemes. However as noted under Section 9 of their T's&C's here
We do not charge cease fee’s
We do not charge migration fee’s for customers migrating to or from our service. To find out more about cancelling
broadband please call 0800 0428888 or email us...

I hope this helps.

CJT.

Awaiting new FTTC Install

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(experienced) Thu 28-Apr-16 13:59:37
Print Post

I can recommend sky but you need to take their phone line as a lot of others

Don't know much about pulse8 or aquiss

Zen all i hear lately is about their sub par service and backhaul issues

TTR use TTB as long as they have a LLU presence which is most.

Vodafone uses C&W as long as C&W LLU presence is there.

Origin doesn't seem to have any connection to plusnet unless i've missed something they are both from Yorkshire though.

BT Infinity 2 - 80/20
BT Infinity 2 Speedtest
BT Mobile - 4G
BT Mobile 4G Speedtest

Edited by epyon (Thu 28-Apr-16 14:00:01)

Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Apr-16 14:51:36
Print Post

Can I ask why you want to move from BT Infinity?

You will find if you call their Customer Options team they will give you a retention offer including upgrading you to the new 55/10 tier on Infinity 1 and it may be worth considering any offer they make against the alternatives..
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Apr-16 15:35:42
Print Post

I see that TTB are well regarded as a backbone provider, just not retail. Does that mean that TTR do not use TTB as there backbone or is it just a customer service issue? i.e. performance on TTR is the same as TTB or do they run separately and have different SLAs?
In general, is there a preference between BTW and TTB?

The network is the same in regard to ADSL and VDSL. TTB's products do offer different SLAs have also have additional care levels which I don't believe the retail side offer.

I did consider Origin for a while but seems they resell plusnet who use BTW.

+ and Vodafone.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Edited by uno (Thu 28-Apr-16 15:36:04)

Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Thu 28-Apr-16 18:25:33
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

Thanks CJT, I think it was a forum comment that alerted me to this and saw that in the t&c, but didn't pay attention to last bit. No fee if migrating to another provider.

As for Pulse8, it seems the trade off for no contract is the £75 up front fee. Mind you, a lot cheaper than having to buy out a 12 or 18 month contract if it goes t**ts up!

After researching Voda, it appears there are a few technical issues with their router and migration process in general that is a little concerning. Also seems the customer service follows the Mobile model :-/

Edited by MrMoo (Thu 28-Apr-16 18:29:11)

Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Thu 28-Apr-16 18:37:21
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
I can recommend sky but you need to take their phone line as a lot of others

Don't know much about pulse8 or aquiss

Zen all i hear lately is about their sub par service and backhaul issues

TTR use TTB as long as they have a LLU presence which is most.

Vodafone uses C&W as long as C&W LLU presence is there.

Origin doesn't seem to have any connection to plusnet unless i've missed something they are both from Yorkshire though.

Was with Sky before. Maybe should consider again but got the t-shirt and there were a couple of issues during my stay with them. Just not sure about going back.

Seeing the same about Zen. Seems a shame as they have a long standing good rep like plusnet used to (or force9 before that if you're old enough to remember!). Hope Zen aren't going the same way.

Origin seem to get a bit of negativity when you look a little deeper. But as with all service providers, you'll always find negative reviews if you look for them. Its just how many!

The link to plusnet was a comment about Origin using Plusnet using BT. I think it was on the lines of PN are owned by BT and the deal with Origin was via plusnet to BTW. Not sure if that makes any difference though.
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Thu 28-Apr-16 18:39:47
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Uno was on the list too due to very positive ratings, but lack of unlimited at the moment put me off. Seems a great ISP otherwise.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Apr-16 19:32:12
Print Post

That'll come when we launch our TTB based FTTC service smile

Matt

uno Communications
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Apr-16 19:35:58
Print Post

The link to plusnet was a comment about Origin using Plusnet using BT. I think it was on the lines of PN are owned by BT and the deal with Origin was via plusnet to BTW. Not sure if that makes any difference though.

BT Wholesale actually push their wholesale (managed) connections over to Plusnet. So you'll get a Plusnet IP and so on. Reverse is usually in the format of "partnernameXXXXXX.pndsl.co.uk" and has not changed since they started pushing that back out in 2008/2009.

Matt

uno Communications
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Fri 29-Apr-16 04:53:36
Print Post

Any date on this?

wouldn't mind upgrading my 2nd line laugh

BT Infinity 2 - 80/20
BT Infinity 2 Speedtest
BT Mobile - 4G
BT Mobile 4G Speedtest
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Apr-16 13:33:55
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

No date.

Register interest at https://www.uno.net.uk/packages/phone-and-broadband/ (before entering number) for Talk Surf Fibre and we'll email once live smile

Matt

uno Communications
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 29-Apr-16 13:54:25
Print Post

Hope you're live before the BT price increases kick in, could be a good opportunity there.
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Apr-16 18:13:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In the meantime, Uno are unmetered 8:00pm - 8:00am Monday to Friday and all weekends,which leaves me making just a small dent in 100gb.
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Sat 30-Apr-16 13:06:00
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
In the meantime, Uno are unmetered 8:00pm - 8:00am Monday to Friday and all weekends,which leaves me making just a small dent in 100gb.

Hmm, just done some number crunching on usage and it seems that 100Gb only in peak times is not bad after all. Had ruled out anything with usage caps thinking we are very high users, but most if it would be after 7pm and weekends!
Do you know if you can increase from 100Gb to 200Gb etc during the contract term or are you fixed at what you select at the outset?
If you are already on BT Fibre, is there any cost to migrate? Pulse8 charge £75 regardless. If there is no fee, could be tempted by this now. Rates are good.
Looks like my pefered list is all smaller isps where I need to supply my own router. Any recommendations?
Would like qos and feature to limit based on time etc also VPN is important to me. Currently run VPN Server on my microserver which works well, but to have it in the router would be good too. Do any of them offer vpn client so I can force selected traffic to a external vpn service?
Would I be better to pick up an openreach modem and separate router?

Also professor, I know from other forum posts you moved from Pulse8 to Uno. Do you think Uno are better? I know you seemed to like Pulse8 too. Just wondered as to the reason for the move?
Thanks

Edited by MrMoo (Sat 30-Apr-16 13:08:42)

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Apr-16 14:10:31
Print Post

Do you know if you can increase from 100Gb to 200Gb etc during the contract term or are you fixed at what you select at the outset?

Yes, you can go up from the package you start on and back down to that within the first 12 months. After that time, you can change around as you please.

If you are already on BT Fibre, is there any cost to migrate? Pulse8 charge £75 regardless. If there is no fee, could be tempted by this now. Rates are good.

£11 - the cost BT charge for migrations.

Generally not. There are some really good all in one routers on the market these days, that do have good hardware. We offer two ZyXEL routers which are on the approved modem/router list from Openreach and work well.

Matt

uno Communications
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Apr-16 21:20:37
Print Post

Pulse8 sorted my long term line problem that needed a repair that freeola/Zen did not. After the repair, Pulse8 said I still had noise and errors on my line, so I was set on an interleave depth of 64 and snr of 12db, though according to some here it must be my fault lol.
When I moved to Uno, I took the same resold TTB LLU, but find I have a trouble free line. There was a £5 saving over Pulse8 for ADSL2+ which I downgraded to from FTTC prior to the switch, as Uno FTTC TTB LLU is not quite up and running yet, though FTTC is available from them if you have a BT line. There was also a superb control panel which allows profile control, it's own BQM similar to the TBB one and call records with a complete breakdown on when calls made. I have found the Uno tech knowledge and customer service superb with a slight edge over Pulse8, but totally recommend Pulse8 if their packages suit you. The only thing that gives me itchy feet at the moment is waiting to get back to FTTC - My BQM is superb and hanging onto 3db target with the Billion 7800N.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/69baefcce1e...
http://postimg.org/image/3qfiprytt/
http://postimg.org/image/exygs4cup/
http://postimg.org/image/kllk8des1/

Edited by professor973 (Sat 30-Apr-16 21:41:17)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-May-16 09:53:35
Print Post

It's a shame, as for me UNO are too expensive for my connection to a 20CN exchange and other resellers charge similarly for their packages when a 20CN exchange is involved, not their fault as they are charged more by BT.

http://s32.postimg.org/e19mgtdxx/UNO_20_CN_exchange.png

Can't see the rural exchange being upgraded to 21CN as it only serves around 230 premises, all the lines are EO as well.

Edit: looks like it's PN for another year when that renewal time comes around again. tongue

plusnet user

Edited by Apprentice (Sun 01-May-16 10:18:38)

Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sun 01-May-16 10:26:23
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

looks like it's PN for another year when that renewal time

I found that plusnet would offer me no discount when I came to renew (on my 20CN exchange)
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Sun 01-May-16 10:30:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by uno:

Yes, you can go up from the package you start on and back down to that within the first 12 months. After that time, you can change around as you please.

£11 - the cost BT charge for migrations.

Generally not. There are some really good all in one routers on the market these days, that do have good hardware. We offer two ZyXEL routers which are on the approved modem/router list from Openreach and work well.

Matt

Thanks Matt. The routers you mention, are they subsidised? They seem cheaper than most places! Only thing missing is VPN support that I can see, but my server can do that for me as it is now I guess.
£11 transfer in is certainly more palatable!
Good to know you can change allowances so I could join on 500Gb and monitor my usage fora couple of months and adjust to save a few pounds when I know my usage pattern. As I am unmetered on BT, they don't allow you to see how much you use so have no idea!
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Sun 01-May-16 10:42:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:
Pulse8 sorted my long term line problem that needed a repair that freeola/Zen did not. After the repair, Pulse8 said I still had noise and errors on my line, so I was set on an interleave depth of 64 and snr of 12db, though according to some here it must be my fault lol.
When I moved to Uno, I took the same resold TTB LLU, but find I have a trouble free line. There was a £5 saving over Pulse8 for ADSL2+ which I downgraded to from FTTC prior to the switch, as Uno FTTC TTB LLU is not quite up and running yet, though FTTC is available from them if you have a BT line. There was also a superb control panel which allows profile control, it's own BQM similar to the TBB one and call records with a complete breakdown on when calls made. I have found the Uno tech knowledge and customer service superb with a slight edge over Pulse8, but totally recommend Pulse8 if their packages suit you. The only thing that gives me itchy feet at the moment is waiting to get back to FTTC - My BQM is superb and hanging onto 3db target with the Billion 7800N.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/69baefcce1e...
http://postimg.org/image/3qfiprytt/
http://postimg.org/image/exygs4cup/
http://postimg.org/image/kllk8des1/

Have to confess a lot of that went over my head, but get the gist I think :-/
Once you're in a contract with them though, you can upgrade the 'coming soon' plan without paying out your current plan can you?
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Sun 01-May-16 10:45:16
Print Post

Matt,
Can you give us any kind of indication of how long 'coming soon' is?
Are we talking days, weeks, months? You know you want to!
Just a little hint wink
Would be sick to sign up and for a couple of weeks later, the new plan is available.
I've only got a couple of weeks before BT remove my discounted tariff and want to jump before then.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-May-16 14:51:14
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian007jen:
looks like it's PN for another year when that renewal time

I found that plusnet would offer me no discount when I came to renew (on my 20CN exchange)

Contracts up in October so here's hoping PN's COT are in better form at that time, they were in 2015. smile

plusnet user
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-May-16 15:02:10
Print Post

They are at the cost you pay, and they're yours to keep. Unbranded, stock firmware and not locked.

Matt

uno Communications
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sun 01-May-16 15:37:33
Print Post

they're yours to keep. Unbranded, stock firmware and not locked.

available to non-customers?
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-May-16 15:38:02
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Not at this time.

They have to be ordered with a connection.

Matt

uno Communications
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Sun 01-May-16 17:33:26
Print Post

You'd also need to find out where your fibre headend is (unless you're on a large exchange which is likely to also be the headend), as you may find that actually everyone has backhaul to it, Vodafone and Zen for example. Even though at your local exchange they may not.
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Mon 02-May-16 21:35:51
Print Post

Matt, I understand my migration costs from BT to current Uno fibre is £11. Will it be different when the new plan (TTB) is launched? i.e. BTW to TTB?
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-May-16 14:38:19
Print Post

It will be but I cannot confirm anything until we launch.

Matt

uno Communications
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Tue 10-May-16 12:28:10
Print Post

So while I patiently wait for the Uno TTB FTTC offering, I've decided on my router set-up and ordered.
Gone for an Asus RT-N66W N900 with a view to put DD_WRT then I can use router instead of my micro server for gateway, vpn etc. Picked up a cheap openreach modem for the connection side.
Would have gone for combined unit, but DD_WRT only seems to be available for routers, not combined units.

So the ISP decision is coming to a head. I suspect the Uno package is more than a month or 2 away (just gut feel) which is a shame, but without knowing exactly what I am waiting for (migration costs (Btw to TTB rather than £11 BTW - BTW), monthly fees etc), I think I need to accept the Pulse8 fees and hopefully that means I can get engineer visit to replace my old faceplate that has seen better days. Can anyone enlighten me as to what is in the remit of the engineer? The wire outstide is badly stretched to the entry point, IF they sorted that and replaced face plate, it might be worth it.
Keep getting distracted by some of the good offers out there like the free fibre from SSE, but traffic management and FUP plus 18 month contract :-/. Voda and their enforcement of using their equipment etc. Guess you do get what you pay for in broadband land.
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Tue 10-May-16 13:18:55
Print Post

Professor, re-reading your story, will you be able to upgrade to Uno FTTC TTB when it comes online? Are you not in a contract for adsl2 now for 12 months meaning you would have to pay out contract?
Would I be able to migrate to Uno from BT Fibre to talk surf package? Would that incur a cost of £40 or be free as per Telephone and Broadband in price list?

Edit: Just seen ADSL is 1 month contract. Now just waiting to find out if FTTC -> ADSL would incur £40 charge as per price list or if telephone and broadband free migration would apply. Think I know the answer. Wonder if I can downgrade with BT to ADSL for free prior to leaving without invoking a new 12 month contract. Would there then be an upgrade fee to Fibre when it becomes available from Uno Talk Surf to Talk Surf Fibre?

Edited by MrMoo (Tue 10-May-16 18:15:56)

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-May-16 20:15:53
Print Post

As far as I am aware, I can switch back to FTTC with no problems when TTB LLU FTTC up and running with Uno. Already being on TTB unbundled FTTC, I had to downgrade to LLU ADSL before the switch to UNO. No fee via Pulse8 though.

Edited by professor973 (Tue 10-May-16 20:21:45)

Standard User Boogit
(newbie) Sun 15-May-16 08:44:01
Print Post

I am just in the process of transferring to Unocomm from BT Infinity 2. I know the packages are not in place with Unocomm as yet, however as I have got out of my contracts with BT because of the prices going up again and I had enough you have to decide what you are going to do you only have 30 days from the date of the email (14 days if you are migrating). I did mention though that this was a temporary stop gap and once they have the new packages are in place I will upgrade to one of those. I am very very happy with the way things are going and it is refreshing when you have questions with a new ISP they are answered promptly with no fuss and you don't get passed from pillar to post.
Standard User sallust
(learned) Mon 16-May-16 14:01:53
Print Post

I have registered interest for this (UNO package via TTB with phone). I have a couple of Plusnet FTTC accounts that are coming out of contract soon.

One question:

I had a look on your Support pages to look into whether your bundled phone packages suport the use of other telephone providers via shortcodes (18185 etc.).

It says:"For our Talk Surf bundled packages, call-override numbers are not supported and are unlikely to work."

I assume this is to do with these packages being delivered using the TalkTalk phone network, but that long-form access numbers can be used. Is that right?

Could I choose instead to take your standard phone line via Openreach, but still have FTTC broadband delivered by TalkTalk LLU? Are there likely to be significant extra costs if I do that?

Pipex > Freedom2Surf > ADSL24 (Entanet) > O2 > Plusnet (FTTC)
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-May-16 14:05:37
Print Post

[re: sallust] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sallust:
I assume this is to do with these packages being delivered using the TalkTalk phone network, but that long-form access numbers can be used. Is that right?

If you mean standard dialled numbers such as 01, 02, 03, 08 etc - they will work just fine. It is just the 4-6 digit override codes that do not.

Could I choose instead to take your standard phone line via Openreach, but still have FTTC broadband delivered by TalkTalk LLU? Are there likely to be significant extra costs if I do that?

Yes, SMPF services are always more expensive but, at least initially, FTTC via TTB will be MPF only.

Matt

uno Communications
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-May-16 14:57:26
Print Post

Not 100% sure but don't think there's many if any of the smaller/resellers phone service providers that give you the use of 18185 or other overide numbers.

The two I contacted last year certainly didn't at that time.

plusnet user
Standard User sallust
(learned) Mon 16-May-16 16:38:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by uno:
Yes, SMPF services are always more expensive but, at least initially, FTTC via TTB will be MPF only.

Matt

Thanks. So have I got things straight?

Currently, your FTTC broadband service is exclusively based on the Openreach network, and you can get phone service as well (WLR/MPF). You can get one without the other and there are no bundles.

You are also planning to introduce FTTC broadband based on TalkTalk's network. When first introduced, this will be available only as a package with phone service, but later might be available as a separate service (SMPF). Bundles are initially compulsory, but later may be optional!

Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Mon 16-May-16 16:43:46
Print Post

Come on Uno, get your finger out with the TTB FTTC packages wink
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-May-16 17:50:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by sallust:
Thanks. So have I got things straight?

Currently, your FTTC broadband service is exclusively based on the Openreach network, and you can get phone service as well (WLR/MPF). You can get one without the other and there are no bundles.
I seem to remember from another recent thread that you can't have uno line rental without uno broadband of some kind or other. You can have their broadband with third party line rental, and of course a bundle.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-May-16 17:53:05
Print Post

Come on Uno, get your finger out with the TTB FTTC packages wink
Negotiating with TTB seems to be a very slow and exhausting process, as I've seen from AAISP and a third ISP. I'm sure Matt wants to get the service up and running as soon as possible, but the contract between TTB and uno needs to be right.

Else uno and their customers suffer.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 00:14:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well, I think after the longest deliberation ever (and Uno teasing with the talk surf fibre package) I think I've decided to go with Pulse8 for now.
As its only a month contract, if the TSF package from Uno turns out to be amazing, I can jump ship to them knowing my £75 fee to Pulse8 would have at least given me a nice new faceplate as mine is currently looking a little battle wary.
I've been monitoring my usage on the new router and seems I would easily fit within the 500Gb peak time package (using approx 10Gb per day), but the thought of having to watch habits of a teenage son and be careful about day time streaming etc was something I could do without. Also the realisation that the Uno prices exclude VAT meant that any idea of jumping on the current fibre packages was suddenly slightly less attractive.
I'll sleep on it over night, but other than the £75 up front, there is little risk and could easily claw that back by going back to BT Fibre on a TCB deal if it turned out not to be for me wink
Suspect I will be an Uno customer is the future.
Thanks to all that have commented and offered advice, particularly Matt from Uno and Professor. I will report back once I've done the deed!
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-May-16 00:43:35
Print Post

The Uno TTB fibre was quoted as "soon" when I joined en Feburary. Not sure it's any closer now.
Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 10:08:58
Print Post

I am in the same situation as you.Not sure if i can to wait for Uno or maybe to wait for feedback from SSEUltra fibre and anytime calls @ £21.Seems a good offer,but Daisy?Just wish Uno would give an indication of when.
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 11:04:34
Print Post

[re: edwin11] [link to this post]

Agreed it would be good to know a ball park when the Talk Surf Fibre may be available, but can understand that Uno don't want to say a date and it keep slipping. Seems doing business with TTB is not to be rushed.
I understand the 'Soon' has been since the turn of the year, so its 6 months now. Could mean its really close now, but could also mean another 6 months +?
Sure I saw somewhere that another ISP (AAISP?) had a long wait to go live with TTB too so there is history.

The SSE does look tempting on the surface, but seems there is possibly some hidden surprises like low FUP and aggressive traffic management, peak time slow downs, migration issues and customer service issues and an 18 month contract. I know you have to take things into context, particularly with reviews online. There tends to be end of the world rants over trivial and not so trivial issues, but silence when a service just works. The only exception is when a service is exceptionally good and people like to shout from the rooftops how good it is (AAISP for example and Uno to a slightly lesser extent).

What I find quite interesting is that people tend to accept the restrictive limits and expense imposed by AAISP because they don't hide it and offer exceptional support. Conversely, if a company hides stuff in small print like FUPs and traffic management, the views are (quite rightly) negative.
From my research it seems that AAISP impose an effective 100gb FUP (varies based on what you want to pay upto 1Tb) and then traffic manage anything above that limit to 2Mb/s.
It seems transparency goes a long way to improving perception.

Edited by MrMoo (Wed 25-May-16 11:06:01)

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-May-16 11:25:33
Print Post

Dropped a general enquiry to Uno this morning covering a few things. IPv6 and TTB LLU to name a couple, so hope we may get a rough timeframe. Reguarding usage limits, particularly the silly priced AAISP 1GB service which is still limited, I find totaly rediculous. Many ISPs give very good service and unlimited. Then there is Uno, which is unmetered from 8:00pm to 8:00am and ALL weekends. I am streaming video every day keeping up with our racehorses and I only use about a quarter of my 100gb, Most folks heavy video and download usage is evenings and weekends, so it's just the wait to get back to FTTC.

Edited by professor973 (Wed 25-May-16 11:27:42)

Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 12:06:56
Print Post

Very good comments.Imay just go Plusnet Fibre with TCB.Iwish Uno never mentioned TTB unlimited.Why can they not give a rough idea is it days weeks or months so frustrating
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 14:00:27
Print Post

Completely agree with you Professor973. Its totally unfair to put Unos data allowances in same category as the others as it is a just in peak business hours. I always assumed that ISPs paid for bandwidth from the wholesale suppliers regardless of time, but if its charged at different rates based on time of day, then Unos model is much more honest and transparent.
As tempted as I was with the Uno BTW fibre offerings and the fact that I suspect I wouldn't even used half of the top tier 500Gb plan, the out of allowance charges are expensive and could easily rack in up in just a few days. If it followed AAISP model where after allowance, its throttled back, I think that would be easier to take, but 0.80 + VAT per GB could add up quickly. Its very unlikely to ever kick in for me, but just the thought of knowing it *could*.

edwin11, don't let me put you off SSE. Its a stonkingly good deal on paper if you don't fall foul of their FUP etc, but what puts me off is that if you find its restricting you, you have 17 months remaining contract to ride out or pay off. PN gets its fair share of complaints also,. but I think their reasoning for traffic management is much more just and transparent. It sounds more like its done to protect the customer experience i.e. downloading a large file over P2P in the background while trying to stream a movie would be managed as to not affect the streaming or voip call or gaming etc. Thats how I read it anyway.
Agreed with the coming soon bit though. It plays on your mind that you should wait, but the wait seems ongoing. My guess is that Uno expected it to be much quicker to come to fruition than this. Maybe if its not imminent, it might be best to remove it from the site until its real close to go live?

Edited by MrMoo (Wed 25-May-16 14:07:17)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 25-May-16 14:22:38
Print Post

In the case of BT Wholesale ISPs do not pay for the number of GBs used. They pay for the maximum throughput they require, so max Gbps. I don't know about TalkTalk Business Wholesale.

On the BT Wholesale side, which in the past and I expect still, the smaller ISPs often have a large base of true business customers, typically having considerable daytime throughput needs. As these customers pay for better performance, speed reliability and ISP reaction to problems than consumers normally expect to pay they need to buy sufficient throughput capacity from BTW.

The aim of the two-tier consumer pricing originated as preventing loads of consumer daytime streaming/torrenting, as that uses a lot of throughput. Come the evening and overnight, the businesses largely need far less, so the ISP has the throughput capacity to allow these heavy use applications. They can therefore allow unlimited usage - and increase the incentive not to do it during daytime.

To what extent this still applies with uno I do not know. I have just explained the origin of the two-tier system in days when BTW capacity cost much more, but demands in general were far less.

On the support side similar applies. Firstline consumer level support is rarely more technical than script-reading and telling people where to plug what in, and where the powers switch is. The ones like uno probably find it easier and cheaper not to have that grade of support, as they don't have literally several hundred thousand or millions needing it. Hence the support you get is business grade expertise.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59240/14753kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 14:26:53
Print Post

The main thing with me is BT have given me 30 days to move,now down to 20 days ,i am not sure what to do, am tempted by Uno Talksurf Adsl just to get me thro until their TTB unlimited is announced.Or wait for feedback by the many people going over to SSE.Decisions Decisions
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-May-16 14:59:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by edwin11:
Very good comments.Imay just go Plusnet Fibre with TCB.Iwish Uno never mentioned TTB unlimited.Why can they not give a rough idea is it days weeks or months so frustrating

Simply because we were provided a time frame, which TTB didn't, or couldn't complete by. This is why we are not giving another date having being burnt once.

It will be a great product once released, that we do know.

Matt

uno Communications
Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 15:31:11
Print Post

Ok i can understand the time limits now you have explained it.What you must have an idea about is pricing that must have been agreed.Are we talking £25 to £35 or £35-£45 including line rental.

Edited by edwin11 (Wed 25-May-16 15:32:49)

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-May-16 15:51:38
Print Post

Pulse8 do the same TTB FTTC resold LLU product with no tie in if you really have to move quick, though not sure what the fine details of the Uno product will be - Contract tie-in I suspect - Not a problem with a decent supplier.
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 17:20:39
Print Post

Ok i can understand the time limits now you have explained it.What you must have an idea about is pricing that must have been agreed.Are we talking £25 to £35 or £35-£45 including line rental.

So going by Matts comments, I'll take a guess and suggest it was initially expected much sooner than 6 months as it clearly missed the original deadline some time ago. Makes me feel it might be rather close now? Maybe just an optimist?

Pricing ball park would be good to know, but taking a wild stab, I suspect its going to be a couple £ either side of Pulse8. i.e. 36-40 for 40/10 and 42-46 for 80/20. Going by the Talk Surf, I'd side on the lower side wink
My finger was about to press the order button on pulse8, but maybe should just hold off a little while longer (oh boy it better be a good package!)... I'm at the end of my BT Contract so on rolling month so not quite in edwin11s time pressured decision timeframe. Arggghhh!

Edited by MrMoo (Wed 25-May-16 17:23:03)

Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 17:35:39
Print Post

Right i think i have made my mind up.Going Uno Talksurf ADSL them onto Fibre if reasonable cost.Also if it is ok to do it,and wonder if that would be a free migration to Fibre from ADSL.Or of course something else may pop up tomorrow.

Edited by edwin11 (Wed 25-May-16 17:37:20)

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-May-16 17:56:27
Print Post

Well my latency on Uno TTB Talk and Surf is the lowest I have ever had, trotting along at 3db target snr. the same resold product via Pulse8 was I told full of errors, so I was set at 12db target and an interleaving depth of 64.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6f9edb50f9c...

Compare that to our nightmare EE service 400 miles north at our other property.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/d6542ad9108...

Edited by professor973 (Wed 25-May-16 17:56:57)

Standard User maniac886
(committed) Wed 25-May-16 18:37:16
Print Post

The main thing with me is BT have given me 30 days to move,now down to 20 days ,i am not sure what to do, am tempted by Uno Talksurf Adsl just to get me thro until their TTB unlimited is announced.Or wait for feedback by the many people going over to SSE.Decisions Decisions

I have just made the decision to switch to SSE from BT. No one can touch the price at £21 for Fibre and unlimited anytime calls/line rental. You can also get £136.50 cashback from topcashback which brings the cost to £13.42pm. Even if they throttle the connection the price is just too good to ignore.

Plusnet
200m to cabinet
72.15MB/s down / 16.03MB/s up
Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 18:42:55
Print Post

[re: maniac886] [link to this post]

Good price but no use at all if you get constant drop outs and slow speeds as been reported.Sounds to good to be true.hope it works out for you tho.
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 22:18:25
Print Post

Right i think i have made my mind up.Going Uno Talksurf ADSL them onto Fibre if reasonable cost.Also if it is ok to do it,and wonder if that would be a free migration to Fibre from ADSL.Or of course something else may pop up tomorrow.

You may already be aware, but unlike SSE, BT and others, you need to prevision your own modem/router equipment for Uno. BTs router won't work so you may need to factor the cost of equipment in too. Uno offer excellent subsidised prices on modem/routers (price list in this thread somewhere) or just a quick hop over to ebay for a cheaper alternative.

I'm pretty sure there will be an upgrade cost to move back to Fibre from ADSL and its something in the region of £40 to £55 from memory, but may be different on the new plans when they arrive. That cost should be easily covered by the saving ADSL for a couple of months will save you though.

Apologies if you knew all this anyway, but thought best to make sure you are aware.
Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 23:11:31
Print Post

Thank you for your valued info.The problem is i dont have all the information i need to make a definate choice.with a limited time to hang about.Anyway did you press that button to signup with Pulse8 or are you still pondering.Bought a Billion ADSL/VDSL router to cover both alternatives.
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Thu 26-May-16 11:19:53
Print Post

Thank you for your valued info.The problem is i dont have all the information i need to make a definate choice.with a limited time to hang about.Anyway did you press that button to signup with Pulse8 or are you still pondering.Bought a Billion ADSL/VDSL router to cover both alternatives.

Personally I think you're idea of joining Uno on a month to month ADSL2+ is a good one if you're happy to drop from fibre for a while. For most instances I don't think you'll miss the higher download speeds. If you take a look around, the recommended streaming of SD content is in the 2-3Mbps range so ADSL2+ should in theory handle 2 or 3 simultaneous streams with plenty to spare. Its something on my mind too as it may prove enough to stay on for a bit.
The down side is the max 1Mb upload speed. I sometime stream to my mobile from home servers and other devices which would mean I couldn't do that any more, but it is rare I do it to be fair. The other is you will have to pay FTTC upgrade fee again when it comes on line, but you would have saved that anyway with ADSL2, and obviously the equipment requirements is another issue but seems that you seem to have sorted anyway.
I've still not done anything as although I am keen to resolve this, I am at the end of my contract so on rolling month to month so not under any time pressure like you are. I think ultimately I would like to jump onto Uno, so could save myself a bit by just waiting a while where I am or maybe trying as you suggest and Professor973 has done with ADSL2+ with Uno. For that I'd need to get some extra hardware as my router isn't a modem/router. On reflection, my best bet is patience!
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Fri 27-May-16 16:38:29
Print Post

Despite making my mind up to go with Pulse8 the other night, I now find myself once again closer to going for Uno. Got myself a cheap Draytek 120 ADSL2 modem so I could consider joining the Talk Surf package as you were thinking Edwin11 and Professor973 has already done.
After monitoring my traffic pattern streaming and kaning it with 1 iplayer, 1 netflix, 1 nowTv, 3 youtubes, and 1 other streaming service all at once, I recorded a max 3452.85 Kbps on the router. Can this be so? If that is right, assuming I get an ADSL speed around 15Mb/s I could run that almost 4 times over with no problem?
What have I got wrong?
Maybe I don't need fibre at all? Only thing I may miss is the upload speeds. The worst we tend to do is have 3 streaming Tv services, online gaming with Xbox and a couple of phones connected. Way less than my test above. I don't torrent anything, occasionally download a linux ISO.
If the above is correct, I think I would be best to join Uno on ADSL2+ with a view to staying that way for a while wink
Anyone confirm that kind of throughput at once is realistic on ADSL2+?

If I understood an inquiry response I got from Uno a while back, taking their Talk Surf package coming from Infinity 1 would not incur any fees for downgrading either smile

Edited by MrMoo (Fri 27-May-16 16:40:31)

Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Fri 27-May-16 18:04:37
Print Post

If i got 15Mb/s per second i would certainly stay with ADSL2+.Seems very quick are you next door to the Exchange. SSE cashback now up to £142 but is it really worth it very tempted.Had a word with them they say they only throttle p2p.Also said if speeds go down they would send a BT engineer first and if no problems found they would allow early cancellation.But is it worth it that is my decision i suppose.

Edited by edwin11 (Fri 27-May-16 18:07:12)

(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-May-16 21:47:05
Print Post

That would run three HD streams. I often have four video streams running here at once on Uno ADSL 13Mbps. If I am honest, all I miss from FTTC is upload and big download speed, but that is only a small proportion of use. In reality, many don't need the speed of FTTC, let alone the cost. Loss of TTB service in the early hours - Fired Uno a ticket at 3:30am this morning. Reply from Matt at 5:10 this morning. 1hr 40 mins instead of the usual 15mins. Very good considering the hour and sure the guy never sleeps lol

Edited by professor973 (Fri 27-May-16 21:48:15)

Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Fri 27-May-16 22:33:01
Print Post

Hmm, maybe my 15Mb/s is optimistic although samknows is saying 14.5 or greater. I've been fibre for a few years now since it was a good intro deal at the time, not because I had speed issues with ADSL. Just looking at the TBB maps, it seems low teens is realistic.
Considering the cost difference, monthly contract, and the fact that Uno seem to squeeze every drop of extra speed out of the line I think its worth a go while waiting to Talk Surf Fibre.
Thanks for confirming my assumption that multiple streams could run on ADSL which is excessive, but a nice comfort zone.

Edited by MrMoo (Fri 27-May-16 23:55:44)

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Sun 29-May-16 12:11:21
Print Post

Just wanted to say. Now over a week in with Aquiss and they have been amazing! Fast response times to any tickets/questions and really knowledgeable

Speeds are great as well! smile

CJT.

On Aquiss 80/20 - Speed Test
Standard User MrMoo
(newbie) Sun 29-May-16 22:18:11
Print Post

I finally succumb to Uno and signed up. Just on ADSL2+ for now and see how that goes as its only month to month. Hopefully the Talk Surf Fibre will follow before too long and give me an upgrade option. At the moment, I'm optimistic that this may be enough for me. Got just over a couple of weeks until I switch over smile
Glad to hear one of my early contenders Aquiss is living up the to the hype. Its great to find that the smaller ISPs are really delivering in a big boys market.
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Sun 29-May-16 22:20:51
Print Post

Edwin, did you also pull the trigger on this? I too hope the upgrade costs will be reasonable otherwise if I feel I need Fibre again, I'll have to jump back to a big player for cost reasons. I suspect LLU TTB to FTTC TTB will be ok though.
Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Sun 29-May-16 23:21:51
Print Post

Yes i jumped in with both feet last night.Received an email from BT first thing this morning,sorry you are leaving stuff.Like you signed up to ADSL+.Matt at Uno must be a Robot he answers message at crazy times.Thanks Moo and Prof for your comments

Edited by edwin11 (Sun 29-May-16 23:27:17)

Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Mon 30-May-16 00:04:52
Print Post

Sounds like we jumped in together at the same time. Got my email from BT on the same night (28th) warning my mobile discount will stop; so ordered a cheaper contract from elsewhere - double win laugh and looking to complete by 17th June. Will be interesting to compare experiences as we switch over.
Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Mon 30-May-16 10:35:57
Print Post

17th here too signed up last thing Saturday otherwise another weekend to add to time taking me very close to BT deadline.Speed only quoted as 8 Mb/s so nowhere near your fast lane speeds.
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Sat 04-Jun-16 11:28:41
Print Post

Just been on the phone to BT to get PAC code for mobile.
Still trying to offer deals to stay @ £10 pm + line for Infinity 1. Not bad, but still refusing.

Interestingly, they can see where I'm migrating to and have twice said its Daisy. If they had have said TTB I would have understood more, but Daisy? Where do they fit in? I know they do SSE under the covers but I thought they where an alternative to TTB and BTw?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Jun-16 11:33:10
Print Post

I think Daisy as well as doing backhaul products for ISPs are now also doing "retail packages" based on BTW for them, just as Entanet have for many years.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Sat 04-Jun-16 18:19:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok. Do they do TTB too? I thought Uno ADSL2+ was TTB based.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Jun-16 18:53:34
Print Post

Re: Searching for new FTTC ISP *DELETED*

Post deleted by RobertoS
Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Sat 04-Jun-16 23:24:17
Print Post

Only use Daisy when no TTB at the exchange i presume.SSE newbies seem to be having trouble with speeds already,glad i resisted.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Jun-16 09:48:38
Print Post

This is what I've been saying for a while now. No requirement for super fast fibre. Just a CONSISTANT 20mbps would suit the majority of households with a better upload speed than ADSL.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Tue 07-Jun-16 11:48:22
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Thats what I'm banking on when I switch back to ADSL2 with Uno. Unless my understanding of my router stats during a recent streaming extravaganza test are incorrect, adsl2 should cope admirably with almost anything my household are likely to throw at it.
according to dslchecker I should be getting somewhere in the range on 12 to 16Mbp/s. its just the slow upload which is the downside.
Should be adequate until talk surf fibre eventually turns up and maybe longer. Time will tell. Nice little saving in the meantime.
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Fri 17-Jun-16 07:52:11
Print Post

So, the day or reckoning is here :-/. BT Fibre has gone off and waiting for Uno to turn on ADSL2+.
Account status saying pending still on Uno portal, and DSL light flashing on Vigor 120, so I guess just a waiting game now.
Luckily, my new router is doing a fab job of fail over and is giving me internet via Vodafone 4g so I can work from home today smile
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Fri 17-Jun-16 08:43:09
Print Post

Superb! I'm on Xilo!!! Just burst into life.
That was much quicker than expected.
So my fears of changing from FTTC to ADSL2+ being a slightly weird scenario has gone super smooth. Now to find out if I can get away with the speed drop.

Still saying pending on Uno account and no phone ringing when I call my number. I can call out and it shows my number on the screen though, but still early in the day

Edited by MrMoo (Fri 17-Jun-16 08:48:01)

Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Fri 17-Jun-16 11:56:14
Print Post

My crude but real world speed test is holding up on ADSL2+.
Simultaneous NowTv, Plex remote stream (HD), Iplayer live and Youtube(1080p) all together with no stuttering. Thats more than I expected tbh. Real test will be when my boy arrives home in a minute and puts it to the test!
Speed tests showing around 9Mbps currently but line db is currently 13db so maybe some scope to improve things when control panel goes live. Still saying pending.
At the moment, this suggests I may well stay on ADSL2+ for a while wink
Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-16 15:06:18
Print Post

Hi i am sailing along on 0.9.kbs on Daisy network.Are you on Daisy or are you on TTB on Ookla speedtest .Suppose it may settle down to 3 mbs if im lucky.

Edited by edwin11 (Fri 17-Jun-16 15:07:05)

Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Sat 18-Jun-16 12:03:26
Print Post

Mine comes up Xilo Communications on speed test. Does yours say Daisy? If I do a tracert I can see daisyplc are in there though.
My speeds are showing at the lower end of my expected range, but SNR is 13 currently so some tweaking may bring it up?

At the moment, I'm fighting with a Draytek 120 as I'm getting very regular reconnects which I suspect it the Draytek. Can be a couple of hours or a couple of minutes (mainly the latter) and getting Carrier lost or port error problems. Raised a ticket last night and Matt answered within minutes at around midnight! I suggested I disconnected draytek and connected unlocked HG612 which appears to have remained connected for 7 hours solid.

Despite the slightly disappointing speed figures, I can comfortably stream simultaneously all over the house (until I get a dropout!)

I think my problem is hardware related with the Draytek, but I've updated firmware this morning and its holding up for over an hour so far. Might pick up another cheapy on ebay as backup though.

Very happy with real use speeds and support responses. Just need to sort the dodgy hardware and then hopefully squeeze a bit more out of the line.
Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Sat 18-Jun-16 13:10:56
Print Post

Knew it was Daisy i connected as soon as line went live the test came up as Daisy Telecom. I have had a word with TTB they confirm i am not on their Network.Speed now 2.5Mbps on 6 SNR.No phone line either .Not one of my better ideas this switch.Might as well have gone with SSE Fibre on Daisy.Daisy are supposed to be one of the cheapest options for resellers i hear.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Jun-16 13:17:50
Print Post

Hi i am sailing along on 0.9.kbs on Daisy network.Are you on Daisy or are you on TTB on Ookla speedtest .Suppose it may settle down to 3 mbs if im lucky.

You've got a phone line fault (one leg dis). The engineer that did the work at the cabinet, did it wrong. This would cause slower than expected rates for the DSL.

Due to the situation you mentioned on your ticket raised yesterday afternoon (17:19), we raised to Openreach and they dispatched an engineer to site at 10:54 today.

Speeds will increase once that is resolved as explained in your other ticket.

Matt

uno Communications
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Jun-16 13:19:02
Print Post

Despite the slightly disappointing speed figures, I can comfortably stream simultaneously all over the house (until I get a dropout!)

That will be the higher/default SNR margin on TTB. That can be lowered and the rates will increase wink

Matt

uno Communications
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Sat 18-Jun-16 13:22:06
Print Post

Like I say, although mine shows Xilo on speedtest, a traceroute does suggest Daisy are involved somewhere. When I spoke with BT they quoted they can see I was going to daisy.
Difference is, you are only on month to month with Uno. SSE is 18 months and I believe there is a lot of traffic management and FUP which their isn't on Uno.
Are you finding it too slow to do your normal things? Hopefully Talk Surf Fibre isn't too far away now.
My get out clause if this didn't work out and TSF didn't materialise was to go to pulse8 and swallow the £75 fee for month to month fibre.
As long as my connect remains stable (has for 3 hours now - a record since joining yesterday!), I'm happy to stay put.

Edited by MrMoo (Sat 18-Jun-16 13:24:49)

Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Sat 18-Jun-16 13:29:38
Print Post

Thanks Matt.
Not counting my chickens just yet, but since firmware upgrade, things looking better.

Is the SNR something that can be done through the control panel or I have to request it? Seem to recall seeing it can be done on the portal?
***** Just seen your reply on ticket. I'll drop you a line once things are settled down a bit about SNR

I'll sit tight for a while to see if I can get 24 hours connected first.

Edited by MrMoo (Sat 18-Jun-16 13:32:50)

Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Sat 18-Jun-16 14:30:35
Print Post

Hi Matt,can you confirm we are on Daisy and not TTB.as they told me my number is not on their Network(TTB) I

Edited by edwin11 (Sat 18-Jun-16 15:08:26)

Standard User edwin11
(newbie) Sat 18-Jun-16 15:06:55
Print Post

Looks like someone has just been to the cabinet, speed now 8 mbps.

Edited by edwin11 (Sat 18-Jun-16 15:07:45)

Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Sat 25-Jun-16 12:59:52
Print Post

Well, just over a week in now.
Initial problems where down to my hardware and a firmware flash and all disconnect issues went away.
Matt tweaked my SNR down to 6db and speed increased and very stable.

My day to day usage pattern including working from home with video calls, streaming NowTv, Plex, Iplayer, teenager constantly streaming youtube, playing online with XBox in parties are easily handled by ADSL2+.

Obviously downloading large files is slower that my old Infinity 1, but not an issue really as it is rare its that large and I'm in a real rush to get it.
Streaming out is a problem as upload is simply too slow, but its rare I wanted to do that, so if thats the only sacrifice, I can live with it.

I made this move with a view to upgrading to TTB Fibre when its goes live (what is the definition of 'Coming soon'?), but in all honesty, unless its only a little more £ than ADSL2+, I'll be hard pressed to justify upgrading, particularly if there are significant upgrade costs.

Is it worth moving to Uno? Well, I was lucky in that I had not tech support issues while with BT or Sky so can't really compare customer service, but I doubt anything can be better than Uno. Very quick and willing to help with problems and also maximise line capabilities. Matt runs 24/7 somehow!
I do miss BT Wifi, but thats about it. Never used the TV service, got a much cheaper mobile deal despite the £5 broadband customer discount.
Seems the whole operation relies on Matt, so if he were to leave, it might all change!
Its only been a week, but I have no regrets even though its technically a downgrade. Saving a good few quid too. Can't complain wink
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 25-Jun-16 23:37:57
Print Post

Is it worth moving to Uno? Well, I was lucky in that I had not tech support issues while with BT or Sky so can't really compare customer service, but I doubt anything can be better than Uno. Very quick and willing to help with problems and also maximise line capabilities. Matt runs 24/7 somehow!
The message I take away is that you needed technical support with Uno that you never did with Sky and BT.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Sun 26-Jun-16 00:26:35
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I see your point, although it turned out to be a hardware issue my side. When using your own hardware, rather than a supplied and configured router, I guess it introduces more complexities. The other support was to do with line settings.
Sky & BT would wash their hands of you if you called and said help me with my own equipment.
Standard User sallust
(learned) Thu 14-Jul-16 12:07:28
Print Post

I have to admit I have become disheartened waiting for Uno's Talk Surf Fibre product to be released.

I need to make up my mind on Plusnet now, but there seems to be a paucity of decent alternatives. I would love to go with a smaller player, in the expectation of better service, but the price premium appears to be too great for me at the moment.

Edited by sallust (Thu 14-Jul-16 12:08:08)

Standard User aparat
(regular) Thu 14-Jul-16 13:09:46
Print Post

Im in the same position. Been waiting to transfer to uno unlimited fibre but its still showing as coming soon.
Im thinking about pulse8 and aa but cant make my mind if i can pay 60 pounds for aa or if ill like no access to online account with pulse8
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Thu 14-Jul-16 14:25:28
Print Post

[re: aparat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by aparat:
Im in the same position. Been waiting to transfer to uno unlimited fibre but its still showing as coming soon.
Im thinking about pulse8 and aa but cant make my mind if i can pay 60 pounds for aa or if ill like no access to online account with pulse8

I joined Pulse8 at the end of last year and have to say I have not missed having an online account. I get my bill emailed once a month (shame you can't choose a payment date).

But CS is UK based (15 miles from me smile ) and whenever I have had an issue it has been resolved the same day. The added benefit being it is a rolling one month contract...

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User richi
(regular) Fri 15-Jul-16 10:00:17
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

My n=1 advice: Do it.

I moved from Plusnet to Pulse8 a few months ago. Nothing is too much trouble for Adam, Sam and the team. Email is answered quickly, at all hours of the day. The backhaul bandwidth is solid at peak times.

And they did a great job of getting my line sorted out when Openreach made a cockup. Having a higher priority for fault fixing is comforting.

[no connection with the company, except as a happy customer]

3 km line on THTG: 14500/1020 Mb/s with Pulse8
Standard User MrMoo
(learned) Wed 20-Jul-16 22:14:11
Print Post

[re: richi] [link to this post]

Yeah, I must admit, the 'coming soon' is wearing a bit thin now on Uno, but I am very happy with ADSL2+ now and saving a few pounds in the process. CS is second to none.

I'm sure Pulse8 are an equally good choice if the upfront cost is acceptable. Basically you are paying for the 1 month contract option. I guess the logic is, someone who pays £75 isn't going to jump ship that quickly anyway, so its a little bit of insurance for pulse8 and piece of mind for customers. So many people take the 18 month deals a realize its far short of the promises and expectations and there is no way out!
Standard User Arksun76
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-16 19:23:27
Print Post

My vote goes to Cloudscape Connect , another small independent ISP.

I've had FTTC with them for 2 months so far and connections been good, haven't really noticed any throttling at all. Can stream 4K 60FPS video at any time of the day.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to